2019 ACC Baseball Tourney

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think this will be debatable... I root for ND on Tues. I'm willing to take our chances. We're rested & ND will have played night before...hopefully long & hard with lots of pitchers needed. Start Amos v ND. If ND wins... tip your hat. They "won" the pool as an 11-seed. If Tech wins... that makes Duke game a staff game. Setting up CT for Sat semi-final game.
I will wager a TON of money that CDH will NOT change CT's start....he will pitch against Duke, and then sit and wait until the Regionals. He will not want to push his start back because he wants CT fully rested for the Regionals which could start the following Friday.

IF we get past the first round in the ACC, you will see Roedig in the semi-final game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will wager a TON of money that CDH will NOT change CT's start....he will pitch against Duke, and then sit and wait until the Regionals. He will not want to push his start back because he wants CT fully rested for the Regionals which could start the following Friday.

IF we get past the first round in the ACC, you will see Roedig in the semi-final game.
Wow... you think IF GT secures a spot in semi final on Wed & Duke game has no bearing on ACCT, CDH pitches him v Duke on Friday instead of waiting 1 day to pitch his "normal" Sat start in semi-final of ACCT?

Such a waste if CT pitches a meaningless ACC tourney game, though I do understand the RPI implications.

Deleted member 2897

I’ve never understood this pool design. Why does Duke get 1 extra day of rest more than us? If it goes seed, then we play duke for the pool win with their being more rested. What sense does that make? Why wouldn’t we play ND first, then next day Duke and ND play (ND gets no rest as lower seed) and we play Duke the day after that (Duke gets no rest). Or, give Duke 1 day of rest and then we’d get 2. But the current layout has never made any sense to me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never understood this pool design. Why does Duke get 1 extra day of rest more than us? If it goes seed, then we play duke for the pool win with their being more rested. What sense does that make? Why wouldn’t we play ND first, then next day Duke and ND play (ND gets no rest as lower seed) and we play Duke the day after that (Duke gets no rest). Or, give Duke 1 day of rest and then we’d get 2. But the current layout has never made any sense to me.
Well... there is a lot there. This tournament design is a great thing to discuss. But it sounds like your big beef here is Duke getting 2 days off. I understand, but that's a function of a 12 team tournament. Everyone gets 2 days off... but not all can have Wed & Thurs off. Buuuut...if Duke sat while we opened v ND... that is a much bigger advantage than 2 days in a row off. I'm thrilled we get to know the pool game that gets us to Saturday's semis.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wow... you think IF GT secures a spot in semi final on Wed & Duke game has no bearing on ACCT, CDH pitches him v Duke on Friday instead of waiting 1 day to pitch his "normal" Sat start in semi-final of ACCT?
Yup. I think Hall will focus on the Regionals and especially if we are already in the semi-finals, he will keep CT on his regular schedule. You can win money off me if you want the challenge.

;)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Well... there is a lot there. This tournament design is a great thing to discuss. But it sounds like your big beef here is Duke getting 2 days off. I understand, but that's a function of a 12 team tournament. Everyone gets 2 days off... but not all can have Wed & Thurs off. Buuuut...if Duke sat while we opened v ND... that is a much bigger advantage than 2 days in a row off. I'm thrilled we get to know the pool game that gets us to Saturday's semis.

Agreed. Knowledge of which game matters is the reward for being the top seed. I'd take that over 2 days rest. But still, an awful format.

The one benefit to the extra games isn't for the high seeds, it's for the middle seeds. For instance, Duke might be a bubble team. If they lost to ND, that could be their season. Now they get another shot, in what is officially a meaningless game, at a top 10 opponent to pad their resume. So, good for the ACC in general.

Deleted member 2897

To be clear, I wasn’t trying to post a whiny anti-Duke post. I felt this same way when we were a lower seed. It’s probably just my ignorance, but it just has always seemed weird to me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
To be clear, I wasn’t trying to post a whiny anti-Duke post. I felt this same way when we were a lower seed. It’s probably just my ignorance, but it just has always seemed weird to me.
I didn't take it as a whiny thing at all. I really like talking about better/best conference tournament formats. There are lots of factors. I believe the reason this format came about was driven by UNC failing to make 10 team field in 2016(?)... and then not getting bid to NCAA. YET, they had a top 20 RPI. Somebody correct me. The ACC decided needed to add teams... among other things. The downside as others have mentioned is games get played that don't affect tournament advancement.

crut

Helluva Engineer
It does allow the top seed to plan the most. If they are playing the team that won Game 1 in Game 2, you can throw your ace because a win in that game secures the pool win. If they are playing the team that lost Game 1, you can save your ace for the other game.

It does allow the top seed to plan the most. If they are playing the team that won Game 1 in Game 2, you can throw your ace because a win in that game secures the pool win. If they are playing the team that lost Game 1, you can save your ace for the other game.

Sounds like this could be the case unless you're GA Tech. Anyhow, I'll trust Hall does what's best for the team for the totallity of postseason.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like this could be the case unless you're GA Tech. Anyhow, I'll trust Hall does what's best for the team for the totallity of postseason.

We are in a unique position. We already have a regional host spot locked up, possibly a super host. Yes the more that we win , the more likely we host a super, however you don’t monkey with your ace and his routine to maybe win a game in the acc. The big picture is the regional which starts on a Friday. CT will be ready and in his regular routine as close as possible whether he pitches Friday or Saturday in regional. You got to win regional before worrying about supers is what I’m trying to say I guess.

We are in a unique position. We already have a regional host spot locked up, possibly a super host. Yes the more that we win , the more likely we host a super, however you don’t monkey with your ace and his routine to maybe win a game in the acc. The big picture is the regional which starts on a Friday. CT will be ready and in his regular routine as close as possible whether he pitches Friday or Saturday in regional. You got to win regional before worrying about supers is what I’m trying to say I guess.

CT is our Saturday pitcher. If nd beats duke, move him to the semi if we win Wednesday. OTOH, If duke beats nd, let CT pitch on Friday to win the pool. I'm really hoping that CT is our Saturday pitcher in the Regional.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m just glad we are in a position that doesn’t require us to totally blow every pitcher’s routine all to hell just to make a regional. Pitchers are creatures of habit and staying in that routine still doesn’t guarantee success, but sure does help. Can’t wait for it all to play out, finally some excitement again. GO JACKETS

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a different perspective to think about: if you are Dook or ND, knowing that you (likely) have to win both pool games to advance, do you save your #1 for the game against the higher seed?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a different perspective to think about: if you are Dook or ND, knowing that you (likely) have to win both pool games to advance, do you save your #1 for the game against the higher seed?
It's not "likely" they have to win both... they both literally need to win both pool games to advance.

Whether they play their #1's on Tues or v GT will depend on whether their coaches think that prudent since we assume that starter pitched on Thurs... so, on 4 days rest.

I assume both ND & (certainly) Duke play their #1 against us more because of rest for that guy than strategy.

For reference... the last 2 years, GT in similar positions as ND & Duke beginning play on Tues, lost both in very close contests. Curry was our "number 1" both years.
2017 starter was Jake Lee v Miami
2018 starter was Curry v Pitt

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
^ yeah I wouldn’t be throwing my ace on short rest knowing I have two games to win and the second is the tougher team. I imagine we’ll get the better pitcher from both teams.

Deleted member 2897

We beat the holy dog snot out of Duke. We had to come from behind late in 2 of the games against ND. So who knows. But we should beat both.

I’d love to advance into an NC State or FSU. I like our chances there too.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We beat the holy dog snot out of Duke. We had to come from behind late in 2 of the games against ND. So who knows. But we should beat both.

I’d love to advance into an NC State or FSU. I like our chances there too.
Yep. I think I'm partial to FSU this year. Mike Martin's last game(?)... we have our [not so] secret weapon in Coach Ramsey who coached their last year. Plus... don't want a ballpark full of opposing team's fans (the NCST scenario)

But... I am clearly getting way ahead of myself.

Also... trivial tidbit. We've covered the big advantage of being the top seed in your pool. Despite that...over the 2 years/tournaments where this format was used, the pools' highest seeds have advanced to semis only 2 times. It was the #2 both times. #1,#3,#4 seeds have not won their respective pools either year ('17 or '18) & #2 has never been beaten in pool play.