2017 Spring Practice

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
When asked if JJ should move if not in the qb 2 deep CPJ said "Jay's a freshman so he needs to soak at QB, but I'm not sure he won't be the QB..." Man, now that's quality depth!!!

*edit: This is what happens when you don't read the entire thread before you post. (I said the same thing as Sidewalk)

From a source whose football opinion I trust, CPJ was really high on Jay Jones before he stepped foot on campus in 2016. Said that Justin Thomas is obviously a freak athlete, but he was excited about JJ b/c he's a better fit for how CPJ wants to run his offense. FWIW, this is the same conversation when he told me that D Mill was the best player on the team (pre-spring practice 2016) Trey Braun would definitely end up starting, and that I should bet on GT beating UGA this year (aka last year).

When i asked him about how this year (2017) team is looking, he said you'll know week 1. . . classic coach's answer.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From a source whose football opinion I trust, CPJ was really high on Jay Jones before he stepped foot on campus in 2016. Said that Justin Thomas is obviously a freak athlete, but he was excited about JJ b/c he's a better fit for how CPJ wants to run his offense. FWIW, this is the same conversation when he told me that D Mill was the best player on the team (pre-spring practice 2016) Trey Braun would definitely end up starting, and that I should bet on GT beating UGA this year (aka last year).

When i asked him about how this year (2017) team is looking, he said you'll know week 1. . . classic coach's answer.

*Parker

I wish we heard more about the D. Only heard one question and non-answer at the end. Problem with scrimmages is that one side's advantage is the other side's disadvantage.
I'm afraid, and I hope I'm wrong, that no news about the D means it won't be any better than it has been in the past. And that probably means that about halfway through the season, CPJ will have to tell Roof to get more aggressive. Which also means that what appears to be a team with seemingly considerable offensive potential, will fold once again under the weight of an poor defense coached by an incompetent DC.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm afraid, and I hope I'm wrong, that no news about the D means it won't be any better than it has been in the past. And that probably means that about halfway through the season, CPJ will have to tell Roof to get more aggressive. Which also means that what appears to be a team with seemingly considerable offensive potential, will fold once again under the weight of an poor defense coached by an incompetent DC.
Love the optimism!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not to be a Debbie downer but it sounds like ball security wasn't great in the scrimmage. Gotta get that fixed but could be due to the number of QBs getting reps and their inexperience in play.

Surprising criticism of Lee. Wonder if he's a bit banged up? Crossing fingers it's due in part to improvement in our DEs and DTs.

Regardless of the potential in our younger pair of QBs....I still suspect MJ is our #1 and TM is our #2.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to be a Debbie downer but it sounds like ball security wasn't great in the scrimmage. Gotta get that fixed but could be due to the number of QBs getting reps and their inexperience in play.

Surprising criticism of Lee. Wonder if he's a bit banged up? Crossing fingers it's due in part to improvement in our DEs and DTs.

Regardless of the potential in our younger pair of QBs....I still suspect MJ is our #1 and TM is our #2.

Surprised to hear about Lee as well. Seems like MJ is top for now, but CPJ doesn't need to so won't name a starter in spring. More excited for the spring game than I have been in a while.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
The thing ppl are going to miss most about JeT is his passing ability. Let's hope revisionist history doesn't take over if we throw for 300 yards in the first game. JeT was the best passing QB CPJ has had since Tracy Ham. That's right.
Chaz Williams could sling it....

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Jeez here we go again. If he was talking about the D people would be freaking about the offense. It's a scrimmage game. You can't draw ANY conclusions from a scrimmage. We don't know how many play, what plays, what the coaches were trying or much of anything except what people put in their articles.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I hope we get Taquon some touches this year, even if he doesn't win the job. MJ is a punisher, but I think we may need to spell him a bit more than JT, because he sticks his nose in there far more often than JT. JT got what he could and got down, like Hamilton.
The kid was basically a starter at Aback at one time, and had some great draw runs in garbage time last year. He'd be a great change up to MJ.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

No news to me means no news. Since this thread was almost all about the O, I got to thinking about how little we hear about the D. And this CPJ post scrimmage was typical; it may be because CPJ is the O coach and apparently doesn't focus on the D during scrimmage. Maybe he does afterwards, but he sure doesn't talk about it.

Jeez here we go again. If he was talking about the D people would be freaking about the offense. It's a scrimmage game. You can't draw ANY conclusions from a scrimmage. We don't know how many play, what plays, what the coaches were trying or much of anything except what people put in their articles.

I agree that you cant draw a lot of conclusions from scrimmages; but most posts here are trying to draw conclusions about the O. It would be just as easy to say that we look so good running because the D can't tackle. The O probably won't be our problem this year unless we score too fast and the D gets worn down again. (tic somewhat) We need to score real slow since the best D is not letting the other team have the ball.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
No news to me means no news. Since this thread was almost all about the O, I got to thinking about how little we hear about the D. And this CPJ post scrimmage was typical; it may be because CPJ is the O coach and apparently doesn't focus on the D during scrimmage. Maybe he does afterwards, but he sure doesn't talk about it.

I agree that you cant draw a lot of conclusions from scrimmages; but most posts here are trying to draw conclusions about the O. It would be just as easy to say that we look so good running because the D can't tackle. The O probably won't be our problem this year unless we score too fast and the D gets worn down again. (tic somewhat) We need to score real slow since the best D is not letting the other team have the ball.
we will with MJ at the helm. Return of the true Death March.

I agree with your logic, but I just don't trust Roof to get it done when toe meets leather in the Fall. Hope I am proven totally wrong, but it will be a surprise if I am.

SlawDog

Banned
You must keep in mind that it is difficult for any defense to stop this offense when it's clicking on all cylinders. This is going to be the most balanced offense that CPJ has had thus far. I also believe that CTR did a pretty good job of getting his players in the right spot for most of the season last year.