2017 Spring Practice

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
No one looks at the future anymore. I can tell you the majority of my age group lives in the "now" not 20 years from now.
Yep. I taught high school in south Georgia for over 25 years and the one constant throughout my time was that young people live for the moment. Pretty much the case. It's what they do. I still cringe at the stupid stuff I did. That said, I am not so sure that living in the "now" at 18 is really such a bad idea. Why not? It's their life. Now if they are still doing it in their mid 30s (like my nephew, ex son in law among others) well that is a horse of a different color.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure Woods didn't just wake up this morning and spontaneously decide he'd leave. I'm sure he talked it over with his family, teammates, and coaches for weeks/months now. From the article, it sounds like he's too far behind due to injury and lack of football experience (Pelton says "raw") to make a real impact. It's not a simple matter of lacking the desire to compete, it's also recognizing those ahead of you will work just as hard or harder because they're already poised for playing time. Francis Kallon was a similar raw 4* recruit who only saw some time as a backup his senior year. As for the argument that you should accept the role of perpetual backup for the sake of a GT degree, not everyone has the stomach for that. Especially if you put a good deal of your self-esteem into your athletic performances (as a top collegiate athlete likely does). Change your scenery and see if you can prosper elsewhere. I'm sad to see him leave, but the timing shows that he wanted to see where he stood after spring practice before making a final decision. Seems like it was a well-thought out decision.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No one looks at the future anymore. I can tell you the majority of my age group lives in the "now" not 20 years from now.

I don't know the age group you're in but I think this is true of most age groups. Here's one of the prophets for the movement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

Living in the now is important for me but there has to be balance with preparing for future responsibilities I believe I have. I won't judge Jordan Woods since it's his life; he has to make his own decisions and live with the consequences.

As to the impact on GT football, I don't see much impact with him leaving. It is as it is.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Last night I saw what you are talking about and really liked what I saw too.
Also, we have an interesting collection of talents on the DL. For instance, Branch brings a different level of quickness to the interior which I think will translate well against other spread teams. He and KCH each has the potential to become an Aaron Donald type disrupter at the 3. BA (great initials for a 1), has the potential to stuff the middle and collapse the pocket once he gets behind his pads. And, we have good combinations of edge setters and pass rushers at DE. These skill sets can allow our LBs more attacking opportunities if we prepare to take those advantages and I thought I saw hints of doing just that, last night.