2017 Spring Practice

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
We actually were close to it, unfortunately. What was the little white boy's name that we had starting at DE a couple years ago? He was about 5'9 215.

I think our best defensive players haven't been on the field though for some reason, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Attouchou?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
We actually were close to it, unfortunately. What was the little white boy's name that we had starting at DE a couple years ago? He was about 5'9 215.

I think our best defensive players haven't been on the field though for some reason, so maybe that has something to do with it.

umm, 6'3" 225 lb kyle travis?

edited to add: "little white boy" is pretty condescending....and if i were a race baiter, i'm not, but if i were...nothing would stir up a hornets nest better than referring to a black football player as that "little black boy"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

So, in support of blaming our personnel for problems last year, you give a description of a player from a couple years ago that doesn't match anyone.

Sadly, one of your more reasonable contributions.

Imo a good coach is someone who will do more with less, they play to their players strengths. There is no way we can say it's strictly personnel. Roof has been here long enough to have his players on the field. If a coach continues to run the same system that he doesn't have the personnel for, you tell me how good that coach is? If it's 3rd and long why not put your faster LB's in the game to drop in coverage? Why keep the slower guys that aren't very good at coverages stay in? Why are our guys in zone but when a guy comes and sits in a pocket right next to their zone, why are they not switching to man on that guy? Why on 2nd and short and 3rd and short are our DB's giving a 7 plus yard cushion? Great coaches will adjust. I hope the D turns around, and Roof is able to help with it if he's going to be around for a while. I really do think Roof is a decent coach I just question his ability to adjust to somethings. We are to talented on D to be in the bottom half of power 5 teams.
Actually, I think Roof does a fairly good job of adjusting, but my complaint is why do we always HAVE to adjust. Why not come out strong from the start, so that the adjustments are more of the fine-tuning type than compete overhaul?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think Roof does a fairly good job of adjusting, but my complaint is why do we always HAVE to adjust. Why not come out strong from the start, so that the adjustments are more of the fine-tuning type than compete overhaul?
I should have said that better, I do agree he makes good in game adjustments. What I mean is personnel on certain downs, having DB's off the Los 7 plus yards deep on short yardage situations, scheme if you don't have the right personnel to excel in the scheme, ect. And one big thing is scheming for the up coming game, it's like we come into the game and it looks like we've never seen the other team play before, so we have no idea what they do on offense.

SlawDog

Banned

I think I know who you're talking about but are you sure it wasn't a little black boy?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Let's not forget we had 3 DCs since CPJ has been here. Groh set us back because he was obsessed with guys being 6-4. That's why we wound up with a lot of stiffs and tweeners once we went back to a 4-3. As far as I can tell, it's not like Roof and the rest of the staff haven't tried to recruit 4 and 5 star NFL prototypes. And then, after being turned down, recruit the 2nd and 3rd tier of them. But they'd rather go to crap programs like UNC, NC State, South Carolina, etc and sit the bench because they can sleep through class (while in bed). So, we have to go after guys like PJ Davis and the Austins who are short but can ball. The most NFL prototype size guy we've had was Francis Kallon and he did exactly squat in 5 years. Whaddya want? Tell me who on the bench is better than the starters? We've got Brant Mitchell in the middle because all the 4 stars who run 4.6 want to go to Miami. It is what it is.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Let's not forget we had 3 DCs since CPJ has been here. Groh set us back because he was obsessed with guys being 6-4. That's why we wound up with a lot of stiffs and tweeners once we went back to a 4-3. As far as I can tell, it's not like Roof and the rest of the staff haven't tried to recruit 4 and 5 star NFL prototypes. And then, after being turned down, recruit the 2nd and 3rd tier of them. But they'd rather go to crap programs like UNC, NC State, South Carolina, etc and sit the bench because they can sleep through class (while in bed). So, we have to go after guys like PJ Davis and the Austins who are short but can ball. The most NFL prototype size guy we've had was Francis Kallon and he did exactly squat in 5 years. Whaddya want? Tell me who on the bench is better than the starters? We've got Brant Mitchell in the middle because all the 4 stars who run 4.6 want to go to Miami. It is what it is.
I get what you are saying but Roof has had the time to have his own players in his system Now. We are bottom of the pack nationally on D, do you really think our talent level is bottom of the pack? Imo we get just as good and even better players than some teams that are ranked way better on D than us. Also Lewis played great when he got the chance to play, but for some odd reason some games he just never seemed to find the field. Lamont Simmons is another guy.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to hear more about how LB is shaking out. Also if any AB besides the usual suspects is making waves. Spring practice thread!

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
IMO if CPJ isn't planning on moving Taquon or Jay Jones to another position then he doesn't see MJ as our guy for the next 2 years. Maybe he can be a quality QB but given the others athleticism the much higher ceiling is intriguing to him and with the hopes of one of them to take over at some point. The #2 job is gonna be fun to watch but #1 isn't gonna be much further from the #2 by year end. Just my opinion.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched some games, and the one game Lewis played extensively we gave up a bunch of big runs. He crashed into the line a lot and got taken out of plays because he didn't play his responsibility, and that's when we gave up big runs. What good does it do to make a flashy play in the backfield because you guessed right, and then turn around and give up a 50 yard run the next play? Don't be so hung up on athleticism. Guys who have speed liabilities but play their responsibility may be frustrating to watch, but 5-10 yards is better than giving up long TDs because you're out of position. As for Simmons, we're actually pretty strong at corner. Who would you bench in his place, and please don't say the guy who got the int that won us the UGAg game. After watching him in the Army A-A game, I've got high hopes that Jordan-Swilling will come in and make an immediate impact.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Madison Grant
That critique of Lewis pretty much meshes with CPJs criticism of his play. I think Lewis may have been our most athletic LB, with the best wheels, the last 2 years. But as you point out, that athleticism doesn't do much if he doesn't play assignments.

He has more experience now and he's one of the guys I'm watching out for to see signs of a breakthrough.