2017 Spring Practice

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Man, this QB race is going to be intriguing isn't it. Probably the most intriguing QB race I can remember since replacing Joe Ham. It's almost a little precarious to have 4 guys who all could actually win the spot. If you only had 2, or more separation, then you could focus all of the coaching effort a little more around the one or two. It's also precarious because if you've got a younger guy with more upside but who isn't quite ahead of the older guy yet but could be with a half-season under his belt, it's hard to make that call. Do you go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win the first 6 games or the guy who is more of a liability in the first 6 games but ultimately gives you the best chance to win the last 6 games? Whoever you go with tends to become entrenched as the starter. And, we're talking at least 2 years worth or 4 if it's a younger guy. And, the offense is going to definitely look different depending on which guy. Glad we have Coach Johnson who has seen it all.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Not to be confused with This Is Us ( a great tv show) instead this is me: I go with who gives us the best chance to win 14 games! AND think this way: of the 4 in question; the youngest 2 have a red shirt year to have grown some! They are not entirely new on the job! This is the most exciting QB situation ever at GT.!!! And who ever wins there will be a lot of experience around him or them! If we have NO injuries to the OL: wait and I will give you my prediction for the season which is based on my prediction for the 14 season and why that went off base!!!!!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Corey Griffin, IMO, was our best player last season. He's definitely got the talent to be a pro. He just needs to take the reigns from the back half and lead this team.

Agree Corey really stepped up last year and arguably was our best D player. He, Gamble, or PJ.

I can't comment on the NFL part, but as IIRC Corey was a late take 2-star type some felt might be a reach. Just seems to keep working and improving. Likeable guy for sure!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

If you read between the lines, you might think CPJ is setting up TM's move back to AB and JJ taking the reins at QB2.

WTTE of "JJ's a freshman so he needs to "soak" at QB" when asked about him getting on the field somewhere. Then adding that you definitely want to get your best athletes (TM?) on the field. Then "I'm not sure JJ can't be the QB..."

I don't care how it shakes out because I know CPJ will make the right moves, but it's fun to speculate nevertheless.

However, who else got chills when he said about JJ: "Nobody can tackle him out there?"

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
If you read between the lines, you might think CPJ is setting up TM's move back to AB and JJ taking the reins at QB2.

WTTE of "JJ's a freshman so he needs to "soak" at QB" when asked about him getting on the field somewhere. Then adding that you definitely want to get your best athletes (TM?) on the field. Then "I'm not sure JJ can't be the QB..."

I don't care how it shakes out because I know CPJ will make the right moves, but it's fun to speculate nevertheless.

However, who else got chills when he said about JJ: "Nobody can tackle him out there?"
I don't know about JJ, but I do believe TM will move back to AB. And I believe he will be a great one!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In 2012, we began the year with TW as starter and VL and SD competing for #2, iirc. I think SD was moved to ABack at game 3 or 4.