2017 Spring Practice

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
With the depth we have at skill positions we should let them practice some set plays and send them in to game as a group.
Then give the ball to Mills till we dont.

Coach did a great job of calling plays and keeping opponents off balance .

Off season almost 1/2 half over and then we can enjoy him calling the plays..

I do think it would be interesting to have an alt offense focussed more on passing.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That could be it, but not necessarily. Remember Jaybo? He ran the O from under center until his senior year. Then his dad (the coach) made the switch to the shotgun. This wasn't because Jaybo was a great passer. It was because they didn't have anybody on the squad that could play BB successfully.

But Lucas has passing talent alright, no question about that.

Well there's this...

"Mt. Carmel was a triple-option team until Johnson emerged two years ago. He won a playoff game as a freshman, ran a hybrid offense as a sophomore and then head coach John Anderson and his staff did their homework and went to full spread last season."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sand...rback-spread-johnson-2015nov05-story,amp.html

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
How did Johnson go from a Aztec boyhood dream to being a Yellow Jacket over 2000 miles from home? I hope he is really committed to being a Yellow Jacket, CPJ and teammates.

Seeing as how he decommitted from SDSU to come here, I'd say he's fully committed. No need to start questioning his loyalty/commitment when he's shown no reason for us to worry about it. I'm guessing his redshirt year would be the most likely time for him to doubt his choice, and he's already got past that and is competing for a spot on the depth chart so no issue there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Seeing as how he decommitted from SDSU to come here, I'd say he's fully committed. No need to start questioning his loyalty/commitment when he's shown no reason for us to worry about it. I'm guessing his redshirt year would be the most likely time for him to doubt his choice, and he's already got past that and is competing for a spot on the depth chart so no issue there.
Well I would not be totally sure.
I believe I am correct in saying the ast coach who was his recruiter is from Calif and now is at GaSouthern.
I believe coach cook had contacts.

Imo He will be hard to keep off field. He sets up quickly and ball is up and out with a high release. He can see over line. Question is his toughnness and ability to read the field.

We have upgraded the coaching for the qb position so things will be solid

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we had the best hurry up offense and #1 air raid scheme in the country....fans would want to run more.

Back to spring. There will be a few hiccups at QB due to lack of in game experience. Then again those hiccups can come even to experienced seniors in some in game situations. We will be fine at QB and as CPJ said....we are deep there. QB is not a concern for me.

Injuries on both lines concern me. Controlling the LOS concerns me on Dline. Blitz packages concern me. LB's covering sideline to sideline concern me. Skill player blocking concerns me (some do better than others but all can improve here).

Overall I feel positive though. I think we are finally approaching where we need to be with depth on the team. Still not where we need to be but at least we are in the right zip code now. I think our fundamentals are improving as well as a team overall.

It's gonna be a fun year in '17.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Don't agree with your last statement. JT was a leader by example and always appeared to be tough as nails. He was a large part of the mindset of our 2014 team, IMO, as Laskey/Days didn't become the two-headed monster we all remember until toward the end of the season. Many plays made by JT earlier in '14 allowed the season to end the way it did. His ultra-clutch escape and TD pass to win the GA Southern game was HUGE. I would still have nightmares if we had lost that game. Also, 4th & 19 at Virginia Tech should not be forgotten. I don't care if JT made 100% correct reads on option plays, if you take away his ability to throw the beautiful deep comebacks and back-shoulders that he often hit, we would not have enjoyed the success we saw in '14 or '16. We have to keep the defense honest and JT threw the ball well enough/escaped defenders well enough to do so.

A little JT biased, but here is my analysis:
Athleticism: JT by a long shot
Speed: JT by a long shot
Quickness: JT by a long shot
Elusiveness/Escapability: JT by a long shot
Extend Play Ability: JT by a long shot
Pass Accuracy: JT marginally better
Arm Strength: JT by a long shot
Clutch Factor: JT
Option Reads: Tevin marginally better
Size: Tevin marginally - not physical imposing in the least bit, but bigger than JT.
Toughness: Both of these guys were reliable in this department from what I remember. Key attribute. Having big muscles does not equate to toughness. Neither of these guys look like greek gods, but they were tough.

I agree with everything except reads. I think Tevin was much, much better at this. JT had the tendency to keep it and try to make things happen. Not bad given his skill set, but it backfired a lot (but then he'd convert a 3rd and 17 or a 4th and forever...so who cares right?).

Tevin was also much better at getting up field. JT tended to string the play out to try and break a long run rather than turn up field right away for 3-4 yards. Again, not terrible given his skill set...

But I honestly think Tevin ran the option better than any of the QBs we've had under PJ. Our offense was very good in 2011 and 2012. Seriously, go back and look at how efficient we were. Tevin's biggest problem? ...Al Groh

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well I would not be totally sure.
I believe I am correct in saying the ast coach who was his recruiter is from Calif and now is at GaSouthern.
I believe coach cook had contacts.

Imo He will be hard to keep off field. He sets up quickly and ball is up and out with a high release. He can see over line. Question is his toughnness and ability to read the field.

We have upgraded the coaching for the qb position so things will be solid
Help me out here. I know Candeto played the position but how does replacing an experienced spread offense, QB coach with a rookie make it an upgrade? If anything I might argue, though not being close to that scene at all, that Cook was the best friend Justin Thomas had in that position. Sometimes it seems that nothing so diminishes a man's reputation in our eyes as his taking leave of us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything except reads. I think Tevin was much, much better at this. JT had the tendency to keep it and try to make things happen. Not bad given his skill set, but it backfired a lot (but then he'd convert a 3rd and 17 or a 4th and forever...so who cares right?).

Tevin was also much better at getting up field. JT tended to string the play out to try and break a long run rather than turn up field right away for 3-4 yards. Again, not terrible given his skill set...

But I honestly think Tevin ran the option better than any of the QBs we've had under PJ. Our offense was very good in 2011 and 2012. Seriously, go back and look at how efficient we were. Tevin's biggest problem? ...Al Groh
'splain Groh please.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
'splain Groh please.

I'm assuming he means bad defenses.

I do think it would be interesting to have an alt offense focussed more on passing.

Practice time. The spread option already requires a lot of repetition which doesn't leave a lot of time for a complicated passing game. One of my biggest issues with the offense is that the passing game is based on the Run and Shoot, which is another style notorious for requiring lots of repetition and requires the QB and receivers to read the defense and adjust the routes on the fly.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
How did Johnson go from a Aztec boyhood dream to being a Yellow Jacket over 2000 miles from home? I hope he is really committed to being a Yellow Jacket, CPJ and teammates.
Answers my question. Values GT degree, Aunt in Ga., Coach relationship, Team mate relationships, Desire to play higher level competition. All good signs of real long term commitment.
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...cruitment-playing-quarterback-at-georgia-tech

We seem to have a team culture that is highly valued among true student athletes. Athletes that have a value for life after football.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm assuming he means bad defenses.

Practice time. The spread option already requires a lot of repetition which doesn't leave a lot of time for a complicated passing game. One of my biggest issues with the offense is that the passing game is based on the Run and Shoot, which is another style notorious for requiring lots of repetition and requires the QB and receivers to read the defense and adjust the routes on the fly.

Right. But I was responding to this post:
With the depth we have at skill positions we should let them practice some set plays and send them in to game as a group. ...

The idea is that you have a qb and rxs who put more practice time in on passing game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Help me out here. I know Candeto played the position but how does replacing an experienced spread offense, QB coach with a rookie make it an upgrade? If anything I might argue, though not being close to that scene at all, that Cook was the best friend Justin Thomas had in that position. Sometimes it seems that nothing so diminishes a man's reputation in our eyes as his taking leave of us.
Cook is a fine coach! I believe he took the promotion from position coach to oc at the the new school. At gt we have a oc and head coach. I am sure he will be missed, but think coach can make some staff adjustments.

I believe that Candedo came from Navy as a qb and thus has live and very detailed experience running the pj offense. Add Tevin washington to the mix and u have TWO experienced coaches working w qb.

Imo the addition of coach west to help w the ol was a great success in 16. We had true freshmen that could play effectively where as before west we had seniors who missed many assignments.

With the two experienced coaches we can give the backups enough coaching to be almost game ready that allows us to rest the nicked up starter. It seemed that jt played hurt and by end of year had tired legs. The best qb must be ready for our big games.

Ramblinwreck7

Georgia Tech Fan

Maybe upgrade is a strong word, but I definitely think we have a guy now that through and through believes and knows CPJ's full scheme. He ran it at Navy (experience playing in the O) and has since coached it at Tech and at a HC spot along the way. I think the upgrade in a sense is his knowledge of the offense plus his familiarity with what CPJ prefers. CCC also comes from a coaching family and has strong leadership qualities. Plus, reports are leaking out that the kids absolutely LOVE playing for him.

I don't think it's a slight on Coach Cook at all. They are both quality coaches..

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
If we had the best hurry up offense and #1 air raid scheme in the country....fans would want to run more.

Back to spring. There will be a few hiccups at QB due to lack of in game experience. Then again those hiccups can come even to experienced seniors in some in game situations. We will be fine at QB and as CPJ said....we are deep there. QB is not a concern for me.

Injuries on both lines concern me. Controlling the LOS concerns me on Dline. Blitz packages concern me. LB's covering sideline to sideline concern me. Skill player blocking concerns me (some do better than others but all can improve here).

Overall I feel positive though. I think we are finally approaching where we need to be with depth on the team. Still not where we need to be but at least we are in the right zip code now. I think our fundamentals are improving as well as a team overall.

It's gonna be a fun year in '17.

"If we had the best hurry up offense and #1 air raid scheme in the country....fans would want to run more."

No truer words have ever been written on a GT sports board.

For most of my adult like we have been trying to get to where we could straight up play with uga year in and year out. Some might think the last four years is a small sample size, but I think CPJ has us there, and our talent level and depth seem to be rising. My wish for Tech football would be that CPJ was ten years younger.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe upgrade is a strong word, but I definitely think we have a guy now that through and through believes and knows CPJ's full scheme. He ran it at Navy (experience playing in the O) and has since coached it at Tech and at a HC spot along the way. I think the upgrade in a sense is his knowledge of the offense plus his familiarity with what CPJ prefers. CCC also comes from a coaching family and has strong leadership qualities. Plus, reports are leaking out that the kids absolutely LOVE playing for him.

I don't think it's a slight on Coach Cook at all. They are both quality coaches..
I will say that were I a QB or BB coached by Candeto, I would be very careful challenging a guy who once flew juiced up jets off carrier decks. And then had to come back.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I will say that were I a QB or BB coached by Candeto, I would be very careful challenging a guy who once flew juiced up jets off carrier decks. And then had to come back.
Taking off is the easy part, I understand its night landings that are nerve racking although my son said having an 18 year old directing you to park at edge of flight deck can be nerve racking also.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Taking off is the easy part, I understand its night landings that are nerve racking although my son said having an 18 year old directing you to park at edge of flight deck can be nerve racking also.
Now, that is pretty funny. Unless of course you are the pilot. On the other hand it is at least encouraging that they are trusted, and that they do it, when we remember that 20-year-olds commanded B-17s and Army companies in the big WWII. Remarkable.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A few things I didn't see posted

Monday
Sugiura: There’s an early standout in Georgia Tech spring practice
“I’ll tell you what I’ve seen is Brandon Adams has lost some weight, and it’s made him a better football player,” Roof said. “A lot more active, a lot more productive and if he continues to do that, I think he can be a really good player for us.”

Wednesday
Coach Johnson post-practice (April 5)
(5 min audio)

Friday
Sugiura: Dedrick Mills taking on new role for Georgia Tech
“The stuff that happened last year, that really wasn’t me,” Mills said. “That’s freshman mentality. Now that I’m here, I’m grown up, learning new things, being around the players and letting them teach me a lot of stuff. It’s just a new me now.”