vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
giphy.gif
:LOL: Gets me every time.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm assuming JT vs TW can stay here. I think JT has a quicker release but was not necessarily more accurate or better decision maker. Obviously, it's all selective memory and confirmation bias, but I think TWs receivers were less reliable than JTs.
That's something I haven't thought about before. Good point.
But, did JT's WR's make him look better than Tevin or did JT make his WR's look better than Tevin's? A clear cut answer is not available to us on this side.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
and they went to the spread because of his talent as a passer.

All that says is he has a big league arm, it implies nothing about his talent or decision making as a runner. If you have a legit D1 QB on your roster in high school you'd be a fool to not exploit that, and the easiest way to do that is spread the field wide and throw it all over the place. I'm excited to watch him and Jay Jones grow over the next few years...both have the ability to shine at QB here.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's something I haven't thought about before. Good point.
But, did JT's WR's make him look better than Tevin or did JT make his WR's look better than Tevin's? A clear cut answer is not available to us on this side.

JETs WR last year were not anything better than what tevin had, in fact worse IMO. We won 9 and beat UGA far better than tevin did; in fact as an offense. Of course Jet had a 3-9 year too. I have said this repeatedly for 10 years, because of our downfield style of passing game a QB will never be better than 50% completion at tech. They will all be around that mark. Hell, i said that pauls year 2...its proven to be true. Go look at downfield completion % for NFL QBs....its like 50%. So for me....completion percentage is not a way to evaluate IMO. One thing jet had we won't debate that tevin did not, is thomas could really throw the ball downfield. Especially on the run. Tevin's arm was far weaker...Jet was way more dynamic etc

its a team game so the whole evaluation is so tough. If you ask paul in person, do it, off to the side...he will tell you Jet is probably his best QB ever at tech only with Josh being right there.

Last edited:

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if Marshall doesn't bet out Matthew for the #1QB spot does he move back to AB in order to play and then Lucas/Jones becomes the #2QB? The only reason I'm asking is because its hard to ask the kid to sit behind Jordan for 2 more years as the #2 and play sparingly. What do you all think will happen to Marshall?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Marshall doesn't bet out Matthew for the #1QB spot does he move back to AB in order to play and then Lucas/Jones becomes the #2QB? The only reason I'm asking is because its hard to ask the kid to sit behind Jordan for 2 more years as the #2 and play sparingly. What do you all think will happen to Marshall?
I would think if TqM doesn't prove himself to be # 2 then it's almost a sure bet he will be an AB. IMO he will be a great AB.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think if TqM doesn't prove himself to be # 2 then it's almost a sure bet he will be an AB. IMO he will be a great AB.
I think he will easily be #2QB but even then he's a Junior just like Jordan which would mean he would sparingly play if at all over the next 2 years. If that's the case it's better for him to move back to AB and at least get some playing time.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
"Offensively, senior wideout Ricky Jeune hauled in a 55-yard touchdown pass from redshirt freshman Lucas Johnson. Johnson, who is part of a four-way competition to replace three-year starter Justin Thomas at quarterback, also threw a long touchdown pass down the right hashmark to junior Qua Searcy during Wednesday's 7-on-7 work."

These aren't TDs to backups. That's RJ and Qua. Boys, I think we have some QB depth!

Or a really "awesome" defense! :)

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Ya idk why he didnt redshirt last year?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/geot-spring-central-2017.html

Format: 21 periods in full pads

Weather: Indoors

Today's Buzz: Wednesday's practice was Georgia Tech's sixth of 15 this spring and its third-straight in full pads. The entire workout was held inside the John and Mary Brock Football Practice Facility due to severe weather that rolled through the Atlanta metro area for the second time this week.

Highlights: Junior safety A.J. Gray made the biggest play of Wednesday's 11-on-11 drills when he intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown early in the final period of the day. Other defensive highlights during full-team work included a big hit on a tackle for loss by junior linebacker Tre Jackson and a sack by senior linebacker Terrell Lewis. Long runs on back-to-back plays by sophomore B-back Dedrick Mills and junior quarterback TaQuon Marshall headlined the offensive efforts during 11-on-11 drills.

Quote of the Day: "There's more depth there than anywhere on the team, probably."
-Head coach Paul Johnson on the team's depth at quarterback, where four (juniors Matthew Jordan and TaQuon Marshall and redshirt freshmen Lucas Johnson and Jay Jones) are vying to replace three-year starter Justin Thomas

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
and they went to the spread because of his talent as a passer.
That could be it, but not necessarily. Remember Jaybo? He ran the O from under center until his senior year. Then his dad (the coach) made the switch to the shotgun. This wasn't because Jaybo was a great passer. It was because they didn't have anybody on the squad that could play BB successfully.

But Lucas has passing talent alright, no question about that.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With the depth we have at skill positions we should let them practice some set plays and send them in to game as a group.
Then give the ball to Mills till we dont.

Coach did a great job of calling plays and keeping opponents off balance .

Off season almost 1/2 half over and then we can enjoy him calling the plays..