2017 Spring Practice

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
All of it. I think JT had a quicker release and greater quickness and speed, but I think TW was stronger and more reliable in making right reads. Neither was perfect.

When it comes to a get it done it factor, it's like folk forget 2015. I think we throw around too much blame and/or credit to the QB. Imo, our strong psychology in 2014 probably rested more with Laskey and Days than JT.

Don't agree with your last statement. JT was a leader by example and always appeared to be tough as nails. He was a large part of the mindset of our 2014 team, IMO, as Laskey/Days didn't become the two-headed monster we all remember until toward the end of the season. Many plays made by JT earlier in '14 allowed the season to end the way it did. His ultra-clutch escape and TD pass to win the GA Southern game was HUGE. I would still have nightmares if we had lost that game. Also, 4th & 19 at Virginia Tech should not be forgotten. I don't care if JT made 100% correct reads on option plays, if you take away his ability to throw the beautiful deep comebacks and back-shoulders that he often hit, we would not have enjoyed the success we saw in '14 or '16. We have to keep the defense honest and JT threw the ball well enough/escaped defenders well enough to do so.

A little JT biased, but here is my analysis:
Athleticism: JT by a long shot
Speed: JT by a long shot
Quickness: JT by a long shot
Elusiveness/Escapability: JT by a long shot
Extend Play Ability: JT by a long shot
Pass Accuracy: JT marginally better
Arm Strength: JT by a long shot
Clutch Factor: JT
Option Reads: Tevin marginally better
Size: Tevin marginally - not physical imposing in the least bit, but bigger than JT.
Toughness: Both of these guys were reliable in this department from what I remember. Key attribute. Having big muscles does not equate to toughness. Neither of these guys look like greek gods, but they were tough.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't care if he can throw the ball 1000 yards, if he can't make the reads, I don't want him on the field. JMO, but I'm sticking to it.

I've said all along I'm more than good with MJ, he has a bigger upside that most on here are willing to give him. PJ has him installed as the starter and there in NO ONE who I trust more to know what he has in a QB for this offense. But for those pooh pooing what the backups are doing I don't get it. Both Johnson and Jones are RS Freshmen that are stepping up their game, to me that is nothing but GOOD news!

Matthew Jordan has been solid, but it is April, and April is not the time to be penciling in a guy with 1-2 starts under his belt. I am good with MJ also, assuming he improves and plays with much more confidence. On the other hand, being good with MJ and getting excited about the possibility of one of the other guys beating him out are not mutually exclusive. I wouldn't mind seeing one of the other guys win the job. it means they're better than MJ.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
This is true, but on the flipside- I don't care if a QB can make 100% of the reads, if a QB can't hit an open man on 3rd and long then I don't want him to be our starter.

Well her (his) point is kind of a straw man. I haven't heard any reports that Lucas "can't make reads". I mean, of course, we can't have a qb who misses reads...that's obvious. But the fact that he apparently is the best passer of the bunch doesn't preclude him from making the right reads. This whole conversation is nonsense.

-Reports are that player 1 is excelling in this one aspect, call it A
-"Well I don't want a player who sucks at B"
-Conversation becomes about player 1 sucking at B based on no evidence.

Real good stuff.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Well her (his) point is kind of a straw man. I haven't heard any reports that Lucas "can't make reads". I mean, of course, we can't have a qb who misses reads...that's obvious. But the fact that he apparently is the best passer of the bunch doesn't preclude him from making the right reads. This whole conversation is nonsense.

-Reports are that player 1 is excelling in this one aspect, call it A
-"Well I don't want a player who sucks at B"
-Conversation becomes about player 1 sucking at B based on no evidence.

Real good stuff.
I think you're the only one thinking that... I never mentioned anyone by name, and I never said anyone can't make reads. Sit down.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don't agree with your last statement. JT was a leader by example and always appeared to be tough as nails. He was a large part of the mindset of our 2014 team, IMO, as Laskey/Days didn't become the two-headed monster we all remember until toward the end of the season. Many plays made by JT earlier in '14 allowed the season to end the way it did. His ultra-clutch escape and TD pass to win the GA Southern game was HUGE. I would still have nightmares if we had lost that game. Also, 4th & 19 at Virginia Tech should not be forgotten. I don't care if JT made 100% correct reads on option plays, if you take away his ability to throw the beautiful deep comebacks and back-shoulders that he often hit, we would not have enjoyed the success we saw in '14 or '16. We have to keep the defense honest and JT threw the ball well enough/escaped defenders well enough to do so.

A little JT biased, but here is my analysis:
Athleticism: JT by a long shot
Speed: JT by a long shot
Quickness: JT by a long shot
Elusiveness/Escapability: JT by a long shot
Extend Play Ability: JT by a long shot
Pass Accuracy: JT marginally better
Arm Strength: JT by a long shot
Clutch Factor: JT
Option Reads: Tevin marginally better
Size: Tevin marginally - not physical imposing in the least bit, but bigger than JT.
Toughness: Both of these guys were reliable in this department from what I remember. Key attribute. Having big muscles does not equate to toughness. Neither of these guys look like greek gods, but they were tough.

You misunderstood my ref to "strong psychology" by which I was referring to our locker room, sideline, huddle, and between the ears.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
If he makes 100% of the reads, we will never be in 3rd and long. ;)

You can make the right read but if somebody whiffs on a block, you still could be in third and long. Still, I'm not in angst over Jordan being the starter. I like the way he takes command at the line of scrimmage. He may not have JT's speed or arm but he looked strong on that long run against Va Tech. This may look more like PJ's first season, just with a more experienced offensive line. We might just wind up mashing people for 60 minutes. I good with that.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you're the only one thinking that... I never mentioned anyone by name, and I never said anyone can't make reads. Sit down.

is that a joke? i mean, you responded: "I don't care if he can throw the ball 1000 yards, if he can't make the reads, I don't want him on the field. JMO, but I'm sticking to it." in (what appeared to be) response to a poster being excited about positive reports for Lucas' passing. Were you just blurting out totally random thoughts that just so happen to look like a response to the poster directly above yours? Just the intersection of tourettes and coincidence?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I appreciate you, but I disagree with your comparison of JT and Tevin.
Back at'cha. I'd be interested in an elaboration of your disagreement or just your own comparison of JT and Tevin.
From reading your response to another poster, I think you said Tevin was a stronger runner and most importantly was better at making the best read so as to maximize the efficiency of our base offense. I don't think I'm equipped to take up the efficiency argument (but that's a very important argument), and I don't think the stronger runner argument is very important. My main point was that JT was a better passer - he could deliver the ball quickly, accurately, and strongly under great pressure (both from the situation and the pass rushers). Tevin could pass accurately but not quickly and strongly and not under great pressure. He could do well passing when we weren't in a crunch situation like 3rd-and-long or end of game. Those situations did not fit his skills. JT's upper echelon speed also gave him the ability to make some huge play with the scramble late that Tevin couldn't make. To be fair: I do remember Tevin delivering against VT late (and the defense losing it for us). I would put JT above him in the "big play in crunch-time" category with his feet and/or arm. Do you disagree?

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Please take all JT - MJ replies, posts, and comparisons to the MJ - JeT thread. This thread is specifically for spring practice. Any further replies and posts on the subject will be moved and redirected to the MJ - JeT thread. Please don't make me have to do that. Thank you

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Please take all JT - MJ replies, posts, and comparisons to the MJ - JeT thread. This thread is specifically for spring practice. Any further replies and posts on the subject will be moved and redirected to the MJ - JeT thread. Please don't make me have to do that. Thank you

giphy.gif

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Back at'cha. I'd be interested in an elaboration of your disagreement or just your own comparison of JT and Tevin.
From reading your response to another poster, I think you said Tevin was a stronger runner and most importantly was better at making the best read so as to maximize the efficiency of our base offense. I don't think I'm equipped to take up the efficiency argument (but that's a very important argument), and I don't think the stronger runner argument is very important. My main point was that JT was a better passer - he could deliver the ball quickly, accurately, and strongly under great pressure (both from the situation and the pass rushers). Tevin could pass accurately but not quickly and strongly and not under great pressure. He could do well passing when we weren't in a crunch situation like 3rd-and-long or end of game. Those situations did not fit his skills. JT's upper echelon speed also gave him the ability to make some huge play with the scramble late that Tevin couldn't make. To be fair: I do remember Tevin delivering against VT late (and the defense losing it for us). I would put JT above him in the "big play in crunch-time" category with his feet and/or arm. Do you disagree?

I'm assuming JT vs TW can stay here. I think JT has a quicker release but was not necessarily more accurate or better decision maker. Obviously, it's all selective memory and confirmation bias, but I think TWs receivers were less reliable than JTs.