2017 CFB Playoff

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Is there any chance that they pull an “osu being put in the playoffs over conference champ penn state( like last year) with Bama and the pups?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there any chance that they pull an “osu being put in the playoffs over conference champ penn state( like last year) with Bama and the pups?

Last year Ohio State had 3 top 10 wins, which was the same amount as the rest of the playoff field combined. this year will trully bring up the question. Last year PSU didnt even have the division clinched until the controversial spot in The Big Game. The commitee values good wins first and foremost (why clemson is #1 instead of OU or UGA. if bad losses mattered, they would be third. end of story). And I believe Ohio state with wins over wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State has a far better resume than Bama whose best wins are Mississippi State. Fresno State, and LSU.

USC has a small outside shot, as they are 2-loss confrence champ and their only two losses came in games where they had 9+ starters out due to injuries (that are back now)
issue is that they dont really have a whole lot of good wins (Stanford x2 and thats about it)

I said this in another thread, but the playoffs should be 6 teams. The 5 conference champions and then the best G5 team/Notre Dame. 1 and 2 would get a bye because they earned it and 3 would play 6, 4 would play 5. This is the system that makes the most sense because you can keep the regular season schedule at 12 games and you don't go overboard with the amount of games. It also makes it easy and rewards conference champions.
I'm for an 8-game playoff with nobody getting a bye. Giving byes would turn out to be as subjective as what we already have. Let all conference champions prove themselves.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Last year Ohio State had 3 top 10 wins, which was the same amount as the rest of the playoff field combined. this year will trully bring up the question. Last year PSU didnt even have the division clinched until the controversial spot in The Big Game. The commitee values good wins first and foremost (why clemson is #1 instead of OU or UGA. if bad losses mattered, they would be third. end of story). And I believe Ohio state with wins over wisconsin, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State has a far better resume than Bama whose best wins are Mississippi State. Fresno State, and LSU.

USC has a small outside shot, as they are 2-loss confrence champ and their only two losses came in games where they had 9+ starters out due to injuries (that are back now)
issue is that they dont really have a whole lot of good wins (Stanford x2 and thats about it)
Sorry I meant Bama in pups out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Time to leave the SEC out altogether. I say they put Clemp, OU, OSU & Wisc. Mutts can be #5 and Bammer #6 although I don’t know how the mutts would jump Bammer as they didn’t play Saturday.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Pups beat everyone they played ala 2014 Oregon so they are in. Pseudo undefeated
But I don’t think they are the best team in their conference. In a month I think Bama would beat the pups and Don’t think they will take two from one conference. If I’m cu I want osu

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree. They had a weak strength of schedule. The blind test, would pick USC. Better numbers.

USC beat one ranked opponent and lost to two. So no, the blind test would not pick them. USC was 2-2 against ranked teams. Bama was 2-1, with Freso State on the fringe. Committee values good wins (which neither really has, but Bama's are definetely better) USC and Ohio state both lost games by over 30 points. Bama doesn't have any blowouts.
That and the PAC-12 was awful this year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
USC beat one ranked opponent and lost to two. So no, the blind test would not pick them. USC was 2-2 against ranked teams. Bama was 2-1, with Freso State on the fringe. Committee values good wins (which neither really has, but Bama's are definetely better) USC and Ohio state both lost games by over 30 points. Bama doesn't have any blowouts.
That and the PAC-12 was awful this year.
Wisconsin against USC in the Rose Bowl will be a good matchup