2017 CFB Playoff

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As of today, the SEC champ, ACC champ, Wisconsin, and OU are in. If OU and Wisconsin lose, all bets are off. With Alabama’s schedule, how could they get in above a Central Florida or a team that has actually played someone is beyond me.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Bama ain't getting. Committee values quality wins, conference champs, record, SoS, than losses in that order as far as I can tell. If auburn beats uga again, they have 3!!!! Wins against 11 win teams which would be more than almost the entire rest of the field combined. Bama has two decent wins are a 9-3 LSU and 8-4 miss state. UCF will end up with 3 wins over 9 win teams which will be a little hard to ignore. Clemson and Miami would each also have 3 wins over 9 win teams. Oklahoma with a win over TCU again would have 4 wins over 9 win teams which is a lock for them being in. TCU would have only 2 so it's a harder a gunner for them. Uga would have two wins over 9 win teams if they won, and would have beat everyone they played ala 2014 Oregon so they are in. Ohio state conf champ would have just 2 wins over 9 win teams so I find it hard to see them in. Wisconsin would also only have 2 wins over 9 win teams but is the only undefeated power 5 conference champ so they would be in. All in all, I see in order or likely happening:

ACC champ is a lock
SEC champ is a lock
Oklahoma (with a W)
Wisconsin (with a W)
Ohio state (with a W)
Alabama
UCF (with a W)
Clemson if they lose
Uga if they lose
Miami if they lose
Auburn if they lose

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The committee values quality losses and eye test over quality wins. They'll try everything in their power to put Bama in especially if Auburn beats Georgia. They will make the argument Bama is better than both Big 10 teams and definitely Miami if Miami beats Clemson. I don't think Miami has a shot at getting in. Clemson or bust for the ACC.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Based on the newest CFB Playoff rankings, the conference championship match-ups are shaping up (like @jeffgt14 indicated) to basically have an 8-team playoff with an "Alabama situation" thrown in. I love college football this time of year. The increased relevance and intensity of these games is GREAT. But I'll say I nearly equally enjoy the debate/controversy over the proper rankings, who deserves it, what makes a good resume, is it the the BEST 4 teams...on and on? I like all that stuff. I don't care to be correct on the debate (I'd argue that's impossible). I just care the debate exists. The fact that a 5th or 6th or 7th deserving (arguably) team is left out is fine with me. Were it not for that... year over year we would not have the conspiracy theorists shouting about "brand teams" getting a little bump from the committee. I'm not sure such a conspiracy is founded... but I enjoy hearing about it. The uncleanliness of it all is quite satisfactory to me.

As for this weekend's action... 7 of the top 8 CFB Playoff ranked teams are playing each other. #5 Alabama is the lone top 8 team not in the mix.

#1 Clemson v #7 Miami
#2 Auburn v #6 UGA
#3 Oklahoma v #11 TCU
#4 Wisconsin v #8 OSU

Obviously, if it goes "chalk".. we have our 4 playoff teams. However, it won't go chalk.... I HOPE!

I think we all agree (especially now that a 2-loss Auburn team is #2), the ACC champ and the SEC champ are a lock for the playoffs. That leaves 2 spots that 'could' make for good debate.

How about Wisconsin at 12-1 (B1G runner-up) with a hard fought (say OT?) loss to OSU? Could 2 B1G teams get in (OSU and Wisc)?

...then there is Alabama. I bet they are IN if both Oklahoma AND Wisconsin lose. A worst case scenario for the committee...OU wins and Wisconsin loses... the committee basically must decide...they have to pick between OSU and Alabama for that final spot.

Do any of these 2-loss teams get in under any scenario?
Clemson (11-2 and ACC runner-up)
USC (11-2 and PAC12 champ)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Based on the newest CFB Playoff rankings, the conference championship match-ups are shaping up (like @jeffgt14 indicated) to basically have an 8-team playoff with an "Alabama situation" thrown in. I love college football this time of year. The increased relevance and intensity of these games is GREAT. But I'll say I nearly equally enjoy the debate/controversy over the proper rankings, who deserves it, what makes a good resume, is it the the BEST 4 teams...on and on? I like all that stuff. I don't care to be correct on the debate (I'd argue that's impossible). I just care the debate exists. The fact that a 5th or 6th or 7th deserving (arguably) team is left out is fine with me. Were it not for that... year over year we would not have the conspiracy theorists shouting about "brand teams" getting a little bump from the committee. I'm not sure such a conspiracy is founded... but I enjoy hearing about it. The uncleanliness of it all is quite satisfactory to me.

As for this weekend's action... 7 of the top 8 CFB Playoff ranked teams are playing each other. #5 Alabama is the lone top 8 team not in the mix.

#1 Clemson v #7 Miami
#2 Auburn v #6 UGA
#3 Oklahoma v #11 TCU
#4 Wisconsin v #8 OSU

Obviously, if it goes "chalk".. we have our 4 playoff teams. However, it won't go chalk.... I HOPE!

I think we all agree (especially now that a 2-loss Auburn team is #2), the ACC champ and the SEC champ are a lock for the playoffs. That leaves 2 spots that 'could' make for good debate.

How about Wisconsin at 12-1 (B1G runner-up) with a hard fought (say OT?) loss to OSU? Could 2 B1G teams get in (OSU and Wisc)?

...then there is Alabama. I bet they are IN if both Oklahoma AND Wisconsin lose. A worst case scenario for the committee...OU wins and Wisconsin loses... the committee basically must decide...they have to pick between OSU and Alabama for that final spot.

Do any of these 2-loss teams get in under any scenario?
Clemson (11-2 and ACC runner-up)
USC (11-2 and PAC12 champ)

I doubt a conference championship loser gets in no matter what. Those are defacto playoff games. The committee says that do or don't take a lot of things into consideration. However, it would be hard for the members to forget the way they defended OSU in the playoffs last year as a non-conference champion becuase they were one of the "best" teams. Then OSU put up a duck against Clemson. If OSU wins, I don't know who would take Wisconsin's place. If OSU and TCU win, the committee is going to have a very hard time explaining who the 3rd and 4th best teams are and why.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
USC beat Stanford. Any chance USC sneaks in? Thoughts???
I think that they could, but it would require certain losses. Probably UGA, Miami, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. I say this because then Auburn and Clemson would be in, then Alabama would get in ahead of Ohio State so USC would need Oklahoma to get upset to sneak in. I think that USC should get in ahead of OSU.

To make this easier in the future, I think that the playoffs should be 6 teams. Each power 5 conference winner and then Notre Dame/ Best G5 team. It becomes simple and every team knows what they have to do to get to the playoffs and imo it gives every team a better chance to reach the playoffs. 1 and 2 would get a bye while 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. This also keeps the number of games limited.