2017 CFB Playoff

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread.. I did not see one.

Lots of football left; but fun to prognosticate.

IF the committee 'leans' toward making conference championships 'play-in' games to the 4-team playoff, how about this for the 4 teams included:
Alabama (SEC champ - Please LORD, not UGA)
Wisconsin (B1G champ - this will be battle including Penn St, OSU, Mich, Mich St)
TCU (B12 champ - Just see Oklahoma in their way. TCU already beat Ok St)
Miami (ACC champ - tough out if healthy Clemson gets to Charlotte. Hard to imagine NC State not stumbling)

IF the committee is willing to take 2 teams from the same conference, then it gets weird/complicated.

SEC: The idea of UGA and Alabama arriving at the SEC championship both undefeated makes me sick. All things being equal... the committee will have an interesting decision to make. Do you possibly allow the loser of a UGA/Alabama game through to the CFB Playoff. [I realize I just lit the fuze to the "SEC conspiracy" crowd... but IIWII]

B1G: I have not studied the schedules... but a one loss BiG team NOT playing in the championship game is possible, right? Will that team AND the B1G champ get through?

Does that mean we could see 2 SEC teams and 2 B1G teams in the playoff?

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Does that mean we could see 2 SEC teams and 2 B1G teams in the playoff?
I don't believe the committee will do both but I do believe they will put in 2 from the same conference. So if there's a Bama, UGA, Penn State, OSU scenario they will pick 3 from that bunch and then 1 from the winner of PAC-12, ACC, Big12. You can probably guarantee that one. Also, Penn State still deserved the spot over OSU last year. Biggest sham since the committee was formed.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't count Oklaohma state out quite yet. Big 12 plays a championship game so winner of Bedlam will likely play TCU again. Georgia or Bama are essential locks, but if Clemson loses again and Miami drops one or two, the ACC could easily miss. Wisconsin has a cakewalk to the B10 championship so they could make it as well as a 1 loss ohio state or penn state. Washington looks like a lock as the south team will likely be meh again as USC has the upper hand it looks like but is only playing meh with something like the 4th most tournovers so far.

So in short
1. Alabama. Think they get in no matter what at this point. Don't see them dropping a game and losing to uga in the SECCG will still get them in IMO
2. Washington
3. TCU
4. PSU, UGA, OU, OK State

really think this is the year we get left out.

Think this is ugas best shot as well. Although 2018 is the year most people expect uga to start clicking, i think their offense takes a huge step back when they lose both running backs. Like the third string isnt even on their depth chart

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Crazy to realize there's about 11-12 teams with a legitimate shot at the playoffs with 2 weeks left in the regular season. I do think things are starting to play out correctly in who the top teams are. Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, and whoever survives the Big10. Hopefully the committee let's everything play out on the field and the the conference championship. Absolutely no reason to try and wade through this mess. Miami continues to bewilder me. They are not that good.

Animal02

Banned
For the championship round....I think if Clemp wins tonight, the winner of the ACC gets in, WIsconsin and Oklahoma should be in if they win.....That leaves the SEC......Auburn with two losses?
It gets even messier if OSU beats Wisconsin, Clemp loses tonihght and beat UM. Cannot see two SEC teams being selected as being acceptable.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
For the championship round....I think if Clemp wins tonight, the winner of the ACC gets in, WIsconsin and Oklahoma should be in if they win.....That leaves the SEC......Auburn with two losses?
It gets even messier if OSU beats Wisconsin, Clemp loses tonihght and beat UM. Cannot see two SEC teams being selected as being acceptable.
Alabama with 1 loss will be in the Playoffs

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see Oklahoma left out if they win. Maybe it's the Sooner in me (Dad and Granddad went there), but they'll have one their conference and beat another conference division winner.