2017 CFB Playoff

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So conundrum.... I hate Richt and like Dabo. But Richt beating uga would be glorious on so many levels. Do we pull for Clemson or Miami? I'm thinking Clemson partly because I don't think Miami could beat uga anyways.

Clemson will stomp UGA. They are legit. Miami is a very good team probably a legit lower top 10 but not an elite team. Clemson is elite.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Their strength of schedule is why. It is worst than Wisconsin’s (50 or 60ish ? too lazy to look it up). Wisconsin getting beat now pretty handily.
Pretty much it. UCF played two teams, I think, that were in the top 25 both times it was Memphis.
Did they play South Florida recently? Was South Florida ranked? They are undefeated but college playoffs are for the big boys.

Jmonty71

Banned
4 teams and in order

1. Clemson
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Alabama.

The media will pressure the selection committee into getting Bama in

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The weak schedule nonsense has to stop as a reason for leaving undefeated teams out. What is UCF supposed to do, not play their conference schedule? If I’m the group of 5 conference commissioners I’d probably wage a lawsuit against the NCAA for this BS. This is literally the only sport where a team has zero control over whether they win the championship. You can win every single game you play and end up in the freakin’ Peach Bowl against a 3 loss team. Oklahoma lost to Iowa State, Clemson lost to Syracuse, and Ohio State got embarrassed by Iowa. All Central Florida did was win every game they played.

Do I disagree that they aren’t as good as those teams? Not necessarily...but the system is horribly broken. Just give all conference champs an automatic berth in the CFP and fill remaining spots with at large teams and make the damn thing fair...create some clearly tangible way to win the national championship based on winning and losing games rather than the opinions of a sports writer, former head coaches, former athletic directors, and acting athletics directors (which I can’t believe is even allowed, and holy crap that is stupid). How on earth could the opinion of that group come out as unbiased and objective?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
The weak schedule nonsense has to stop as a reason for leaving undefeated teams out. What is UCF supposed to do, not play their conference schedule? If I’m the group of 5 conference commissioners I’d probably wage a lawsuit against the NCAA for this BS. This is literally the only sport where a team has zero control over whether they win the championship. You can win every single game you play and end up in the freakin’ Peach Bowl against a 3 loss team. Oklahoma lost to Iowa State, Clemson lost to Syracuse, and Ohio State got embarrassed by Iowa. All Central Florida did was win every game they played.

Do I disagree that they aren’t as good as those teams? Not necessarily...but the system is horribly broken. Just give all conference champs an automatic berth in the CFP and fill remaining spots with at large teams and make the damn thing fair...create some clearly tangible way to win the national championship based on winning and losing games rather than the opinions of a sports writer, former head coaches, former athletic directors, and acting athletics directors (which I can’t believe is even allowed, and holy crap that is stupid). How on earth could the opinion of that group come out as unbiased and objective?

Agree to some degree. Wish they kept th BCS formula and just expanded the playoff to fit within it. This year might make this he push for 2021 to have 8 teams. UCF played a garbage schedule end of story. I have two different computer ranking systems I run. One has UCF at 14, right where the playoff has them and the other, an ELO style, has them at 6th right now but I still need to add in the rest of the conference champs. Sucks when every team you played this year beat a whopping 1 bowl eligible P5 team combined and the AAC had one of its top heaviest years.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The weak schedule nonsense has to stop as a reason for leaving undefeated teams out. What is UCF supposed to do, not play their conference schedule?

So you are proposing that the committee should ignore one of the most important measures of determining how good a team is? Even if you use the Football Power Index (FPI), UCF comes in at 21 with an 83rd rank SOS. Without SOS and FPI, how would one go about comparing 3-loss Auburn (SOS #3, FPI #6) with 3-loss Florida Atlantic (SOS #111, FPI #61). Quality wins matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So you are proposing that the committee should ignore one of the most important measures of determining how good a team is? Even if you use the Football Power Index (FPI), UCF comes in at 21 with an 83rd rank SOS. Without SOS and FPI, how would one go about comparing 3-loss Auburn (SOS #3, FPI #6) with 3-loss Florida Atlantic (SOS #111, FPI #61). Quality wins matter.

Not at all what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that it shouldn’t be so subjective. There shouldn’t be a committee at all...just expand the damn thing and come up with a simple objective way to make the playoff like every other sport in college and professional athletics. Conference champs should be automatic and if we are going to have a committee decide anything it should be about who the at large teams are.

The way it’s setup right now, Central Florida could win the Peach Bowl or wherever they end up and could have the best team in the country, but no one would ever know.

Just because we don’t think they’ve played a tougj schedule and we don’t think they could beat Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, or Georgia doesn’t mean hey can’t or wouldn’t.

They replaced a bad system with a bad system and then that bad system with yet another bad system...the only advantage with this one is that they pick two more teams, so most years you’ll get close. Other than that it’s the same stupid way we’ve decided champs for over 100 years...letting people’s opinions determine who should be playing for the title instead of letting teams that win keep playing.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Not at all what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that it shouldn’t be so subjective. There shouldn’t be a committee at all...just expand the damn thing and come up with a simple objective way to make the playoff like every other sport in college and professional athletics. Conference champs should be automatic and if we are going to have a committee decide anything it should be about who the at large teams are.

The way it’s setup right now, Central Florida could win the Peach Bowl or wherever they end up and could have the best team in the country, but no one would ever know.

Just because we don’t think they’ve played a tougj schedule and we don’t think they could beat Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, or Georgia doesn’t mean hey can’t or wouldn’t.

They replaced a bad system with a bad system and then that bad system with yet another bad system...the only advantage with this one is that they pick two more teams, so most years you’ll get close. Other than that it’s the same stupid way we’ve decided champs for over 100 years...letting people’s opinions determine who should be playing for the title instead of letting teams that win keep playing.
I said this in another thread, but the playoffs should be 6 teams. The 5 conference champions and then the best G5 team/Notre Dame. 1 and 2 would get a bye because they earned it and 3 would play 6, 4 would play 5. This is the system that makes the most sense because you can keep the regular season schedule at 12 games and you don't go overboard with the amount of games. It also makes it easy and rewards conference champions.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I see what you’re saying and I respect your opinion. Personally, I like this system and I don’t see it as subjective. The committee is using reasonable data to determine the four best teams in D1 college football. Is it perfect? No. Can it be improved? Yes. I think that going to an 8-game playoff might make sense. As I don’t put much weight on winning a conference if the team is in a weaker conference, I still wouldn’t put UCF in an 8-game playoff. The AAC went 4-10 against power 5 opponents this year.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Still prefer a 6 team playoff. I don't think we've ever ran into a scenario where we can't decide between 8 teams. It's usually 6. Take the 5 Power 5 champions and if a group of 5 team is undefeated, give them a shot otherwise it goes to an at large. Top 2 get a bye.