2015 jerseys

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Because we save a buttload of money with Russell.
At the time it was the beast deal that we could get, and it still isn't a terrible deal, but Georgia Tech seems to have a problem with signing contracts that are too lengthy. I think a 7-8 year apparel deal is all that is needed, and the way Adidas is paying schools these days I would be pushing to get them on board if I was Bobinski.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
There never will be an answer to the uniform supplier issue:

Imagine if GT lived in a world where these were not an issue -
academics,
facilities,
scheme (football),
conference
- and the manufacturer of the uniforms is a deal breaker for recruits. Even then, GT will still have only a one in three chance that the manufacturer GT has is the one the recruit wants. (assuming that Nike/UA/Adidas are the popular choices)

What will we do then? Lament about how 5* Joe Schmo went to another school because GT has Nike and UA is where it is at for him?

The way to make the discussion moot will be to find out what the figures are when the contract comes up for renewal and if Russell is still offering the best deal, come up with a way to bridge the delta between the Russell deal and the best Nike/UA/Adidas/etc. deal.

Start a Gofundme / Kickstarter or write a check.

Might want to start soon as there was $1.3M/year between GT's Russell deal and Clemson's Nike deal according to the information that has been linked in this thread.

The bottom line in this discussion is money.

How many GT basketball fans wish MBob had another couple million to throw around?

What impacts the basketball program more; what the uniform manufacturer is or who the head coach is?

Money.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys want to see some butt ugly unis? Follow the link below...I didn't realize how many bad ones were out there.

http://www.csnwashington.com/media_gallery/25-ugliest-uniforms-college-football

A list of someone's 25 ugliest from last year. Not sure if Nike or UA win the prize. Russell is represented.....once.
Based on the authors 25 ugliest uniforms the final tally looked like this:

Nike - 14
Adidas - 6
UA - 3
Russell - 2

Now to be fair, in 2013 here is how uniform brands were distributed around the country.
http://www.nicekicks.com/2013/08/29/brand-breakdown-2013-college-football-teams/

Nike - 81 schools
Adidas - 28 schools
UA - 11 schools
Russell - 5 schools

Therefore the percentage of ugliest uniforms in the country (authors opinion) breaks down like this:

Nike - 17%
Adidas - 21%
UA - 27%
Russell - 40%

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The problem with the lack of Tech apparel in stores is completely separate from the uni supplier issue. I don't even understand those who don't realise this.

The apparel in stores is dictated by the STORES. And the stores primarily stock what they believe will sell. Write some complaints to the stores if you aren't satusfied with their inventory.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@turfjacket
That's good info. From 2013 instead of 14 but I'd imagine the numbers didn't change much from 13 to 14.

My main point is this. Each supplier has shown a capability of making some good, and some awful looking unis. I strongly believe GT, or any other school, regardless of supplier, could dictate specific designs if they chose. Most just don't.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The stores are only a small part of the problem. The biggest part of the problem is the reluctance of the Licensing Department to allow widespread GT logo licenses to sportswear and sports products manufacturers. They are so stingy with the logo licensing so tight with a few apparel manufacturers, I have wondered if there is a 'good ole boy' thing going on. I see mutt stuff everywhere I go, Walmart, Pet-Smart, Atlanta Airport gift shops, 18 wheeler mud flaps, etc. etc. etc. I have inquired many times about the GT Licensing office being so picky who they let use their logos and was told that GT is very discriminating and because they want to do business with only high quality businesses.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with the lack of Tech apparel in stores is completely separate from the uni supplier issue. I don't even understand those who don't realise this.

The apparel in stores is dictated by the STORES. And the stores primarily stock what they believe will sell. Write some complaints to the stores if you aren't satusfied with their inventory.
Working in a college apparel store, this is exactly what it takes

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
ACC teams with news unis:

Wake Forest
image.jpg
image.jpg

For the old-timers, if you want traditional bad enough just complain like UNC fans/alumni did and you shall receive

UNC:
image.jpg

image.jpg

GTJason

Helluva Engineer

I worked at kohls in west Roswell. We had a GT alum assistant manager and we got about 70% uga crap and 30% GT apparel. The GT stuff flew off the shelves (rich suburb, go figure) and the uga stuff would routinely go 80% clearance and then be shipped off to Guatemala or wherever. The assistant manager wrote HQ in Wisconsin and their reply was the order amounts were dictated by the entire state. I tested this by stopping at a kohls in south GA on my way to the beach one year. Got a bunch of GT stuff for $2-5 minus employee discount. Its a futile effort in the state.

I just wish there was a more national presence. I live in Maryland now which until recently was acc country and still pretty much is. Its a desert for gt clothing. Even when I vacation in myrtle beach, the sports stores have no GT stuff and the PGA superstore has minimal team golf gear. I'm forced to purchase everything online. Its a branding and national exposure issue. If we had addidas, Nike, or UA we'd at least have a shirt here and there nationally.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Those wake unis ain't horrible except for the sleeves and collars.
Unc got their minds right this year.
I'd like to see our unis this year with solid color plain pants..no stripes etc. Less is more and stripes to me usually just look dated. I'm on the simplistic side tho.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do any of these uniform suppliers manufacture their goods in the USA? Or, do all of them maximize profits on the backs of child labor, long hours and low wages in Asia and the loss of manufacturing jobs here?