$125M Capital Campaign Launch

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I recently graduated from GT and so I still do not have a lot of money to spend and am trying to save most of what I make. However, as most everyone on this board, one thing I care a lot about is GT athletics (especially football and basketball).

I have decided to donate $100 a month for the next year towards the Stansbury's goal of $125 million by 2020. I know this is not a lot (~$3 a day), but it can go a long way if lots of people donate.

If everyone on this board donated $100 a month for the next year, we would raise over $4 million from this board alone. I know it is not realistic for everyone on the board to donate, but if a poor recent grad can do it (me:)), I am sure many others can too (and some will donate well over $100).

Here is the link to donate:
http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/

We all have interest in seeing GT nationally recognized again, but it starts with donating to compete with the factories. Lets make a change!
That is awesome. I have given small amounts randomly but will consider doing that regularly as well. Numerous small donations from lots of people will add up.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Does it bother anyone else that the progress bar on the website not accurately reflect the amount raised?

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
I have seen the MBB/WBB locker room upgrades on the needs list, but can anyone share what needs to change in those areas? The Thrillerdome 3.0 is not that old, did they leave out something important a few years ago?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have seen the MBB/WBB locker room upgrades on the needs list, but can anyone share what needs to change in those areas? The Thrillerdome 3.0 is not that old, did they leave out something important a few years ago?

Not sure, but GT has always been way behind in being proactive on facilities. So hopefully what BB has now is top notch and they are planning on the future.

Despite just opening the new FB locker room, funds should already start to be saved/invested for the next upgrade, just as an example.

We should already be in the planning stages of the fund drive to come after AI2020.

If not, we are already behind.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm glad the Russ Chandler upgrades are rolled into this as I'm sure it's tougher to raise funds for sports that aren't Basketball and Football. That being said, we have some seriously wealthy former players that I would hope would pitch in for those upgrades.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm glad the Russ Chandler upgrades are rolled into this as I'm sure it's tougher to raise funds for sports that aren't Basketball and Football. That being said, we have some seriously wealthy former players that I would hope would pitch in for those upgrades.

Tex has stepped up, he endowed a scholarship in 2009. And, more lately...

In 2009, Mark Teixeira, Class of 2002, made a $500,000 commitment that fully endowed a Tech baseball scholarship.

A power-hitting first baseman for the New York Yankees, Teixeira has always been passionate about the power of philanthropy. Since leaving Tech, he has given generously to athletics — in particular Georgia Tech’s strength and conditioning program, the golf team, and the Russ Chandler Stadium renovation project — as well as the Scheller College of Business.

In his words, “This gift was a no-brainer, now that I am in a position to do something significant.”

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I recently graduated from GT and so I still do not have a lot of money to spend and am trying to save most of what I make. However, as most everyone on this board, one thing I care a lot about is GT athletics (especially football and basketball).

I have decided to donate $100 a month for the next year towards the Stansbury's goal of $125 million by 2020. I know this is not a lot (~$3 a day), but it can go a long way if lots of people donate.

If everyone on this board donated $100 a month for the next year, we would raise over $4 million from this board alone. I know it is not realistic for everyone on the board to donate, but if a poor recent grad can do it (me:)), I am sure many others can too (and some will donate well over $100).

We all have interest in seeing GT nationally recognized again, but it starts with donating to compete with the factories. Lets make a change!
This needs to be shared on other GT boards. Thank you for what you are doing.
This is what I like about this GT site..Lots of positive people on here.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
McCamish may be new and shiny, but the locker rooms are located in the Luck building that is next to McCamish and have received no updates since 2012 for the men's and who know when for the women's. I'm sure they are by no means bad, but they are definitely less than competitive when compared to other major basketball schools or our own football locker room.

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
McCamish may be new and shiny, but the locker rooms are located in the Luck building that is next to McCamish and have received no updates since 2012 for the men's and who know when for the women's. I'm sure they are by no means bad, but they are definitely less than competitive when compared to other major basketball schools or our own football locker room.

Didn't know that, great information, thanks.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not sure the best place for this. One of the interesting quotes from the latest Toddcast dealt with the image of our program and how we differentiate ourselves when recruits visit. "We're a different kind of place...We need to be look more like Google than our competition...You need to feel innovation, you need to feel innovation." I think this is very interesting, and I am interested to see how we can get there.

Other notable quotes
"We can't compete and beat Clemson by being Clemson"
"There are things our competition can do that we cannot do, but there are also things we can do that our competition can't do."
"We should be the center of innovation with regards to sports."

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Great stuff! Look into whether your employer matches non-profit donations or not. Mine matched 100% up to $1,000, and the AT-fund qualifies. You also get credit for the points when you do this.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Can someone explain why the biggest chunk of AÍ 2020 money is going to the Edge Center renovation? After last Saturday, the best use of money to me would be more $spent on recruiting and support/recruiting staff to try to close the gap with Clemson and UGA. Is the Edge Center renovation going to help us raise the talent level? Isn’t it just the admin building for the GTAA? Or do players use it a bunch.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
If players are not asleep, in class, or at practice, they are in the Edge Building. That's where their gyms, dining halls, study halls, and other areas are. Also, recruits will visit these facilities as part of their official and unofficial visits. An Edge Center renovation IS what we've targeted to help bring us up to a competitive level with the bigger schools. I went to a luncheon with Todd Stansbury about the Edge Center renovation and it's going to be a truly remarkable building. It's going to create such a wow factor for the football stadium (it will be visible from the field) and the athletic department in general.

Bobby Dodd is already a very unique setting for college football, but once the Edge Center renovation is complete, it's going to be incredible.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Can someone explain why the biggest chunk of AÍ 2020 money is going to the Edge Center renovation? After last Saturday, the best use of money to me would be more $spent on recruiting and support/recruiting staff to try to close the gap with Clemson and UGA. Is the Edge Center renovation going to help us raise the talent level? Isn’t it just the admin building for the GTAA? Or do players use it a bunch.

Plain and simple: the Edge Building is horrendous! Imagine walking in down a dark hallway with dim flickering lights. The Edge center is where a probably most time is spent. Academic advisors, dining room, & tutoring all takes place there.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
IDK if the athletes dining hall is still there or not?

All major sports coaches offices?

IDK

The main issue to me is we should be shooting to raise 400 to 500 million for athletics.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
In addition to what everyone has said, it's easier to pitch a new building to big boosters. Unless you are really super deep into CFB you probably don't know what the heck a shadow staff is or why recruiting staff is important. You can make an elevator pitch for building renovations.