$125M Capital Campaign Launch

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone explain why the biggest chunk of AÍ 2020 money is going to the Edge Center renovation? After last Saturday, the best use of money to me would be more $spent on recruiting and support/recruiting staff to try to close the gap with Clemson and UGA. Is the Edge Center renovation going to help us raise the talent level? Isn’t it just the admin building for the GTAA? Or do players use it a bunch.

I spent some regular time in the Edge building about 15 years ago. At that time, it was BLEAK in there. To my knowledge, Edge has not been touched since that time. It is a mess and athletes spend most of their waking lives in that place.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
There have been some minor renovations in the past year or some, most notably a nice video board in the museum area. There are some revenue generating aspects of the building (my dad did his rehab following hip surgery there), so wonder if that will be expanded and/or retail space added a la the McDonald's that was there in 90's.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
There have been some minor renovations in the past year or some, most notably a nice video board in the museum area. There are some revenue generating aspects of the building (my dad did his rehab following hip surgery there), so wonder if that will be expanded and/or retail space added a la the McDonald's that was there in 90's.

I remember that McDonalds from when I was going to games as a kid! Solidified in my mind why GT was the best school anyone could attend/be a fan of.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain why the biggest chunk of AÍ 2020 money is going to the Edge Center renovation? After last Saturday, the best use of money to me would be more $spent on recruiting and support/recruiting staff to try to close the gap with Clemson and UGA. Is the Edge Center renovation going to help us raise the talent level? Isn’t it just the admin building for the GTAA? Or do players use it a bunch.

Dude. The place was **** when i was there 18 years ago. Lol. The only reason I bothered was word and dining hall vs other options

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I had a great year at work in 2018. Gonna be giving $1000 to $ 1500 next month for this intuitive. I gave $ 500 for recruiting initiative that we had a while back. Drop in the bucket but if we all step up this will be easy.
Every bit helps. Thanks for picking up the slack of guys like me who aren’t in a position to help out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In addition to what everyone has said, it's easier to pitch a new building to big boosters. Unless you are really super deep into CFB you probably don't know what the heck a shadow staff is or why recruiting staff is important. You can make an elevator pitch for building renovations.
What about your opinion on the increase in recruiting? Is 900,000 for recruiting verses 150,000,000 overall about right.
To me we need way more for recruiting and we need it yesterday.

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
Every bit helps. Thanks for picking up the slack of guys like me who aren’t in a position to help out.

Gotta take care of your family and self first....only my second year itemizing/donating. It turns out that my company has a 1 for 1 matching program so they picked up some slack as well for us. Just clicked submit and hope it goes to good use.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My opinion is NO. But the edge building is critical to help recruiting.

To expound on your point, spending all the money on new recruiters won't net you much if you have no room to house them and you're still bringing the recruits into an outdated facility.

My hope is that once we complete the Edge Center, and hire on the new staff, that TStan immediately rolls into Phase II and puts out another big target to reach. What we cannot afford is to sit back when we're done and say we're finished.