12/15 Early Signing Day: GT

MidtownJacket

Staff member
With the new signees, is the overall roster by position written down anywhere (with class)?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think that’s the inherent problem with NIL. I think it’s a great idea to pay players. But part of their pay is their education. I can almost guarantee you that 95% of all 18-19 year olds in America have no idea what to do with 2M dollars. That number just isn’t imaginable in their minds. It isn’t imaginable in a lot of peoples minds. I just hope they have some good mentors and advisors in their lives to help them make good decisions. I’d hate for their lives to get derailed because of fleeting monetary gain.
Maybe they can talk to MC Hammer for a few minutes?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How do we compete with the blue bloods with 5 five stars and 18 four stars?…we don’t
I mean, I don’t think this has ever really been a legitimate goal or plan to regularly compete with teams like that. All we want to do is beat the average and mediocre teams in the ACC and catch the Clemson’s, and Georgia’s, and Notre Dame’s every once in a while when they’re in a down year. We’re never going to legitimately compete with them year-in year-out.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yea bringing in 2 4 star DTs for the first time ever and several other 4 star guys doesn’t count.

Let’s focus on the few we would’ve never had a chance with before that didn’t come.

Recruiting and bringing in talent isn’t an issue for Collins. The fact that we have brought in the 4 stars we have with 9 wins in 3 years is more than enough proof he can recruit and bring talent in.

Y’all can bash his coaching all you want. Plenty of concerns there. When you start talking about him bringing in talent (or not) it makes it look like you don’t think rationally and are only out to grind an axe.

If we won 6 games this year there’s a good chance we finish with a top 20 class and Gibbs is still here. 2 of the guys you mentioned would likely be here too.

We didn’t and that didn’t happen. So recruiting is not the issue. Winning games is. If he starts winning, recruiting will be amazing. If not, he’ll be gone and we’ll see what the next guy can do.
Are the classes better? Yes

Are the classes where he and his staff claimed they would be? No even close.

Can Collins coach thus group to the wins he's claimed? Not likely.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I don’t think this has ever really been a legitimate goal or plan to regularly compete with teams like that. All we want to do is beat the average and mediocre teams in the ACC and catch the Clemson’s, and Georgia’s, and Notre Dame’s every once in a while when they’re in a down year. We’re never going to legitimately compete with them year-in year-out.
That's literally what CGC and Brent Key have claimed they would do here

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That's literally what CGC and Brent Key have claimed they would do here
I don’t think anybody has claimed that, ever. And if they did it was just to spark hype. CGC’s thing when he got here was that we would be a 5 star developmental program, not that we’d start rattling off 5 star recruits and competing for national titles

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think anybody has claimed that, ever. And if they did it was just to spark hype. CGC’s thing when he got here was that we would be a 5 star developmental program, not that we’d start rattling off 5 star recruits and competing for national titles
You're confusing TStan with CGC.

CGC and Key have both made claims, whether outright (key) or eluding to it (CGC's "elite recruiting").

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You're confusing TStan with CGC.

CGC and Key have both made claims, whether outright (key) or eluding to it (CGC's "elite recruiting").
TStan pushed it because that’s what Collins said. Neither Collins or Key have ever said we’d start signing multiple 5 stars. Collins may have said recruiting would become “elite,” but that’s just his buzz word

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
TStan pushed it because that’s what Collins said. Neither Collins or Key have ever said we’d start signing multiple 5 stars. Collins may have said recruiting would become “elite,” but that’s just his buzz word
Perhaps you are right but that is not what I remember. When Key was saying it would be easier to recruit at Tech than at Alabama I don’t think he meant easier to recruit 3 star talent. He meant recruiting at the same level as Alabama. Unless you heard something different.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
How do we compete with the blue bloods with 5 five stars and 18 four stars?…we don’t

I didn’t take chewy’s post to mean we would start to sign 4 and 5 stars, but that we won’t be able to compete with those who do. And, as Pointer pointed out (see what I did there?), CGC, at least, said that we would.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Full Definition of elite​

(Entry 1 of 3)
1asingular or plural in construction : the choice part : CREAMthe elite of the entertainment world
bsingular or plural in construction : the best of a classsuperachievers who dominate the computer elite— Marilyn Chase

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Two 4-star DTs. That's all I need to know to call this recruiting class a success. Add to that a 4-star OL.
I've complained about Geoff's coaching but I'm not going to complain about a class with three 4-star linemen.
They have to actually play like 4 stars to be 4 stars. Our guys are coached down, not up. We used to make fun of the mutts with their annual recruiting class Natty. Well hells bells let’s toast our off season 40 rank till cows come home!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They have to actually play like 4 stars to be 4 stars. Our guys are coached down, not up. We used to make fun of the mutts with their annual recruiting class Natty. Well hells bells let’s toast our off season 40 rank till cows come home!
I know that, but the recruiting isn't the problem, it's the coaching. And it might be a 40 rank, but the point is that we got three 4-star linemen, two of them on defense. We got what we needed most.