12/15 Early Signing Day: GT

JacketFan137

Banned
Yes! It's a red-letter recruiting year already, and if we get Quick and Tchio on OL, this will be a red-letter transfer year as well. That would make two 4-star DTs and three 4-star OLs - Five 4-star linemen in one year's haul. If we can coach them up instead of down, we'll be cooking on the front burner.
i really think a decent o line blocking for sims and dontae would make us a HUGE problem in the coastal. it’s not like we are gonna be playing super stout defensive lines in most of our games.

o line was easily our biggest area to improve after last seasons debacle. it didn’t matter if it was northern illinois or uga they still didn’t hold blocks

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Exactly ! Off of past performance I am doubtful, but stupidly optimistic !
I'm stupidly hopeful. By next September I'll be Charlie Brown, approaching the football once again.

1639780140181.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i really think a decent o line blocking for sims and dontae would make us a HUGE problem in the coastal. it’s not like we are gonna be playing super stout defensive lines in most of our games.

o line was easily our biggest area to improve after last seasons debacle. it didn’t matter if it was northern illinois or uga they still didn’t hold blocks
I like your optimism but I’m curious when you think this new offensive line will be ready to go? Next year? Before Dontae graduates?

I’m honestly not trying to be a nay sayer, I’ve just gotten so many posts from people talking about how it takes 5-7 years to develop an offensive line. When do you think we will be ready to compete with this line?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like your optimism but I’m curious when you think this new offensive line will be ready to go? Next year? Before Dontae graduates?

I’m honestly not trying to be a nay sayer, I’ve just gotten so many posts from people talking about how it takes 5-7 years to develop an offensive line. When do you think we will be ready to compete with this line?
Well, this is going to be Year 3 with any of CGC and CBK linemen recruits, so how long do you think it should take? Just curious what your opinion is.

JacketFan137

Banned

it should be good enough to compete in the acc against most teams NOW. i don’t see why it can’t since guys are gonna be more experienced and we are supposedly getting another transfer.

it definitely takes a while and all of the lineman we had from the johnson era certainly weren’t good enough early on. now it’s all on key and the rest of the staff to get them there since they’ve been with us for a while

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
it should be good enough to compete in the acc against most teams NOW. i don’t see why it can’t since guys are gonna be more experienced and we are supposedly getting another transfer.

it definitely takes a while and all of the lineman we had from the johnson era certainly weren’t good enough early on. now it’s all on key and the rest of the staff to get them there since they’ve been with us for a while
So next year?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is going to be Year 3 with any of CGC and CBK linemen recruits, so how long do you think it should take? Just curious what your opinion is.
I know longer have an opinion. I’m just trying to understand the disconnect between those who say on the one hand that it takes 7 years to transition from an option team while saying on the other hand we will be a winning team next year.

I’m open to hearing an explanation as to how this year’s recruiting class makes people optimistic about next year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I wouldn't want my team running 2nd and 3rd-year OL out there to compete with 4th and 5th-year guys. I think that's why we need good OL coming in as transfers. OL is probably the biggest hit-or-miss position on the field coming out of HS, so that makes it even worse. So, really, I don't expect a stellar OL until Year 5 or 6 of CGC's tenure. That doesn't mean we won't be good enough to win games, I just think it will take that long to have a dominating O-Line, especially since we didn't take any Year 1 OL recruits.

If we don't win more games than we have been, CGC won't get to Year 5 or 6 to see that stellar OL perform. Fixing the Defense should be much easier.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Arent you counting cpj last class as cgc class?
Cgc was here by himself trying to hire staff and we accepted that group.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The trouble with recruiting either side of the line is in projecting how and what type of weight a kid will be able to put on.

Grad transfers or older portal guys at least are built out by NCAA level S&C guys so you have a better sense of their frame. Less physical projection means less likely that you swing and miss.

Also if you’re a poor line player the only real potential role to fall back on is MAYBE be a large TE, but that normally requires hands which aren’t trained by the big uglies and stamina for longer route running.

It’s not like the skill guys or Athletes who can flip all over the field if they don’t grow as expected. Though we had guys at S who bulked up more of a LB Build so hoping that gets address by the new DB staff.

As for how long it takes, frankly if it doesn’t happen this year it won’t much matter as we’ll be getting a new HC the following year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The trouble with recruiting either side of the line is in projecting how and what type of weight a kid will be able to put on.

Grad transfers or older portal guys at least are built out by NCAA level S&C guys so you have a better sense of their frame. Less physical projection means less likely that you swing and miss.

Also if you’re a poor line player the only real potential role to fall back on is MAYBE be a large TE, but that normally requires hands which aren’t trained by the big uglies and stamina for longer route running.

It’s not like the skill guys or Athletes who can flip all over the field if they don’t grow as expected. Though we had guys at S who bulked up more of a LB Build so hoping that gets address by the new DB staff.

As for how long it takes, frankly if it doesn’t happen this year it won’t much matter as we’ll be getting a new HC the following year.
But some say (on here, anyway) the OL has to play together for an extended period of time (at least a year, or more) in order for the line to "gel".
I don't believe it, but that's what they say.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Right?

I remember when Curry went to Bama and he immediately improved their record, won SEC coach of the year twice and Bobby Dodd Coach of the year once. His last recruiting class went 13-0 and won a national championship under Stallings.

NOTHING is easier at Tech than at Alabama.
Maybe Key meant it was easier to recruit at Tech since there are more direct flights out of ATL than Tuscaloosa? That'd be true for sure.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

I'd say that NIU would beg to differ on the 'it takes 5 - 7 years for an O-line to develop' mantra.

Look at their roster...mostly underclassman:

60Evan BussOL6-6315FrKimberly, WI
72Brendan CarrOL6-7293FrHanna, IN
76John ChampeOL6-4321FrBrookfield, WI
70Marques CoxOL6-6306SophPeoria, IL
75Leif EngstrandOL6-8331FrOconomowoc, WI
68Marko GbedoOL6-3330FrAlsip, IL
79J.J. LippeOL6-5311FrMilwaukee, WI
73Brandon MacKinnonOL6-5282FrLakeville, MA
50Pete NygraOL6-4289FrNorth Indianapolis, IN
58Brayden PattonOL6-5309SrEllettsville, IN
77Luke PinnickOL6-4291FrState Center, IA
74Tyler PitcelOL6-4306FrMukwonago, WI
69Nolan PotterOL6-6308SophCedar Rapids, IA
64Matt SchooleyOL6-2303FrWisconsin Rapids, WI
62Seth ThompsonOL6-4288FrEden Prairie, MN
66Anthony VaculaOL6-4325FrHales Corners, WI
78Jack WiltyOL6-4309FrAltoona, IA
65Logan ZschernitzOL6-3311FrSpencer, WI

and they have been WAY more successful than GT in that regard. Sad, but true.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
But some say (on here, anyway) the OL has to play together for an extended period of time (at least a year, or more) in order for the line to "gel".
I don't believe it, but that's what they say.
I watched a little of the Northern Illinois vs. Coastal Carolina game last night. NIU was getting major push on the offense line with 2 freshmen along with more experienced players. I just don't buy it takes 3 to 4 years to build up the offense line. In 2022, they need to perform at a much higher level. Whether it is scheme, coaching or misjudging talent, it needs to be fixed.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I'd say that NIU would beg to differ on the 'it takes 5 - 7 years for an O-line to develop' mantra.

Look at their roster...mostly underclassman:

60Evan BussOL6-6315FrKimberly, WI
72Brendan CarrOL6-7293FrHanna, IN
76John ChampeOL6-4321FrBrookfield, WI
70Marques CoxOL6-6306SophPeoria, IL
75Leif EngstrandOL6-8331FrOconomowoc, WI
68Marko GbedoOL6-3330FrAlsip, IL
79J.J. LippeOL6-5311FrMilwaukee, WI
73Brandon MacKinnonOL6-5282FrLakeville, MA
50Pete NygraOL6-4289FrNorth Indianapolis, IN
58Brayden PattonOL6-5309SrEllettsville, IN
77Luke PinnickOL6-4291FrState Center, IA
74Tyler PitcelOL6-4306FrMukwonago, WI
69Nolan PotterOL6-6308SophCedar Rapids, IA
64Matt SchooleyOL6-2303FrWisconsin Rapids, WI
62Seth ThompsonOL6-4288FrEden Prairie, MN
66Anthony VaculaOL6-4325FrHales Corners, WI
78Jack WiltyOL6-4309FrAltoona, IA
65Logan ZschernitzOL6-3311FrSpencer, WI

and they have been WAY more successful than GT in that regard. Sad, but true.

Wait, they have 15 freshman offensive lineman on their team??

/