12/15 Early Signing Day: GT

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know that, but the recruiting isn't the problem, it's the coaching. And it might be a 40 rank, but the point is that we got three 4-star linemen, two of them on defense. We got what we needed most.
I like getting the higher ranked guys, I really do, but not at the expense of only reaping half their potential. We used to out perform our recruiting rankings. Now I’d love to just break even.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Are the classes better? Yes

Are the classes where he and his staff claimed they would be? No even close.

Can Collins coach thus group to the wins he's claimed? Not likely.
Someone pointed this out either here or in another thread that the average star rating in this class is the highest since 2007. That includes a kicker in the ranking too.

It’s been a long day and I don’t feel like fact checking right now, but if that’s true I’d say he’s keeping his word.

As I mentioned in the post you quoted, if he had been coaching them and we’d won some games we most likely have 2 more 4 star guys and a top 150 player coming in as well.

Again my whole point is y’all permanent haters have plenty to gripe about. Collins ability to sell the program and bring in talent isn’t one of them. I agree with your last point. He has done a terrible job coaching. If he doesn’t fix that, he will be gone after next year. I hope he does. Sadly too many people like you hope he doesn’t. I’d rather be good and have a guy I don’t like running the program than hope we suck so said guy is gone.

Lastly, If the transfer portal wasn’t free agency and wide open game for everyone, I guarantee you our overall ranking for this class (and the other class people like to bring up when trying to bash recruiting) would be much higher.

Our program is at a place where we need mature bodies that have experience playing college football right now. So Collins is sacrificing a class ranking to try and field a team to compete now. Especially along the LOS.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I like getting the higher ranked guys, I really do, but not at the expense of only reaping half their potential. We used to out perform our recruiting rankings. Now I’d love to just break even.
I agree. We have to have better coaching in order to optimize our recruiting, absolutely.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ourselves…

We needed Willis, AT, Nate K and Gibbs.
Hopefully Tech gets OL help in the portal….Quick, Tchio and ?

How do we compete with the blue bloods with 5 five stars and 18 four stars?…we don’t
If you get tired of justifying something to yourself, then stop justifying it.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps you are right but that is not what I remember. When Key was saying it would be easier to recruit at Tech than at Alabama I don’t think he meant easier to recruit 3 star talent. He meant recruiting at the same level as Alabama. Unless you heard something different.
I took his words to mean that it would be easier for him to recruit to Tech because of his background.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps you are right but that is not what I remember. When Key was saying it would be easier to recruit at Tech than at Alabama I don’t think he meant easier to recruit 3 star talent. He meant recruiting at the same level as Alabama. Unless you heard something different.
Key said it was easier to recruit to Tech because he had quote, “more to sell.” No where did he say he was going to starting bringing in top 100 recruits on the regular. I think Key believed he was going to have an easier time bringing in 4 stars when he said that, but I certainly don’t think he meant he would be bringing in the same caliber of athlete to Tech that he was at Bama. Just that he would be signing more of the recruits he was in on and who were we competing with similar schools against. At Bama he was competing with UGA, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and the like. At Tech he’s competing with UNC, Virginia, South Carolina, Auburn, VT, etc.

I really have no idea how anybody can look at CGC’s, Key’s, or Stansbury’s comments on the new regimes recruiting capabilities and think any of them meant or thought we’d be competing with Bama and UGA for top 100 recruits and 5 stars.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Key said it was easier to recruit to Tech because he had quote, “more to sell.” No where did he say he was going to starting bringing in top 100 recruits on the regular. I think Key believed he was going to have an easier time bringing in 4 stars when he said that, but I certainly don’t think he meant he would be bringing in the same caliber of athlete to Tech that he was at Bama. Just that he would be signing more of the recruits he was in on and who were we competing with similar schools against. At Bama he was competing with UGA, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and the like. At Tech he’s competing with UNC, Virginia, South Carolina, Auburn, VT, etc.

I really have no idea how anybody can look at CGC’s, Key’s, or Stansbury’s comments on the new regimes recruiting capabilities and think any of them meant or thought we’d be competing with Bama and UGA for top 100 recruits and 5 stars.
That’s quite an interpretation. You read a lot more between the lines than I would have dreamed possible. I just took his comment at face value with its ordinary standard English meaning of the words.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That’s quite an interpretation. You read a lot more between the lines than I would have dreamed possible. I just took his comment at face value with its ordinary standard English meaning of the words.
So you took his comment as him saying he was going to recruit and sign the same caliber of player at Tech as he did at Bama? Then that’s ridiculous. Nobody in their right mind would believe that to be true

Fast14eddie

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been reading this board for years and it amazes me how easy ppl jump on and bandwagons.

Facts:
Last 3 years of CPJ who I thought was good fit for Tech with the talent we are able to sign and keep in school.

Teams as they always do whether college, NFL, or high school adjust to defend others schemes.

That and the fact of all the outside negativity cause the job to be even tougher

1639737230869.png

Teams have figured it out.

CGC hardest job initially was to change the perception of GT to the outside. To coaches and players and the media. He has done that. Friends and colleagues have said so. I hear it all the time the positivity of our perception. Now the wins must come!!!!

This class proves this. You win with the big guys up front. We signed 3 4 star lineman. We had a elite running back reassess his choice to leave and stay. All positive trends.

It takes jimmys and joes.

Now it’s time to win some games, What really matters to the fans.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I really have no idea how anyone can see it this way.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So you took his comment as him saying he was going to recruit and sign the same caliber of player at Tech as he did at Bama? Then that’s ridiculous. Nobody in their right mind would believe that to be true
No need to get personal.

If he meant it would be easier to recruit at a lower level at Tech than it is too recruit at a higher level at Alabama then he was merely saying “I will recruit no differently than any coach who has ever coached at Tech.” That would have been a superfluous “no duh” comment.

But he didn’t say that. He deliberately chose the word easier which was meant to inspire confidence that what he was doing at Alabama he would have an easier time doing here. To suggest he meant anything different is convoluted and torturing the English language.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting has improved, albeit not as much as we all had hoped. IMO, what has NOT improved- Gibbs being one of very few exceptions- is the year over year improvement of skills in most of our recruits. Yes, they get stronger and bigger. But IMO what seems to be missing is improved basic skills. These would include things like wrapping up when tackling, better pursuit angles, maintaining blocks and shedding blockers, fewer missed alignments/assignments. better faking and ball handling by the QB, better looking off receivers (see maintaining blocks above), to mention a few.
Because of our recruiting limitations , our coaching up is essential to go from terrible, to mediocre, to challenging for division and conference titles. Since I have never seen a practice, I have no idea if they think just because a player get more reps they automatically get better. IMO just more reps without being taught better techniques is wasted time.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Nobody in his right mind would say it to be true.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The other 2 wildcards since the strength of recruiting comments are the Transfer Portal and NIL. The Transfer Portal makes it far easier to transfer if you aren't happen with the current situation. Take Gibbs for example. He said he is tired of losing (aren't we all). But do you really think he would have transferred to another school if he had to sit out a year (particularly since he was destined to go to the NFL after year 3)? I realized exceptions have been made in prior years but the standard was to sit out a year. Secondly NIL has made the rich schools even more of a destination since they not only compete for championships but can earn significant money doing it. Neither of these conditions existed when Collins was hired. By the way, this in no means has anything to do with the issues in coaching which their are multiple threads highlighting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nobody in his right mind would say it to be true.
Right?

I remember when Curry went to Bama and he immediately improved their record, won SEC coach of the year twice and Bobby Dodd Coach of the year once. His last recruiting class went 13-0 and won a national championship under Stallings.

NOTHING is easier at Tech than at Alabama.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
No need to get personal.

If he meant it would be easier to recruit at a lower level at Tech than it is too recruit at a higher level at Alabama then he was merely saying “I will recruit no differently than any coach who has ever coached at Tech.” That would have been a superfluous “no duh” comment.

But he didn’t say that. He deliberately chose the word easier which was meant to inspire confidence that what he was doing at Alabama he would have an easier time doing here. To suggest he meant anything different is convoluted and torturing the English language.
Not only that, but many on this board were adamant that we needed to stop thinking small as a program and "play big time football" to include our outlook on recruiting. We have, do, and will always fish in a very different end of the pond that Clemson, UGA, FSU, UNC, and UM (just to name some ACC programs). Recruits for UVA, VT, Pitt, NC State, etc.. are more our targets. That hasn't changed regardless of our change in coaching staff.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Two 4-star DTs. That's all I need to know to call this recruiting class a success. Add to that a 4-star OL.
I've complained about Geoff's coaching but I'm not going to complain about a class with three 4-star linemen.
And (hopefully) the transfers…

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is a terrific class. Very pleased.

Can we coach them up? And if so, how many years will it take? Also, are our previous 3 classes ready to contribute next year or do they still need more time? Those are my only questions.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And (hopefully) the transfers…
Yes! It's a red-letter recruiting year already, and if we get Quick and Tchio on OL, this will be a red-letter transfer year as well. That would make two 4-star DTs and three 4-star OLs - Five 4-star linemen in one year's haul. If we can coach them up instead of down, we'll be cooking on the front burner.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The other 2 wildcards since the strength of recruiting comments are the Transfer Portal and NIL. The Transfer Portal makes it far easier to transfer if you aren't happen with the current situation. Take Gibbs for example. He said he is tired of losing (aren't we all). But do you really think he would have transferred to another school if he had to sit out a year (particularly since he was destined to go to the NFL after year 3)? I realized exceptions have been made in prior years but the standard was to sit out a year. Secondly NIL has made the rich schools even more of a destination since they not only compete for championships but can earn significant money doing it. Neither of these conditions existed when Collins was hired. By the way, this in no means has anything to do with the issues in coaching which their are multiple threads highlighting.
The landscape has changed for the worse. But it's the same everywhere and except the factories which benefit most from the portal and the NIL, everybody else has to deal with these issues just like Collins.