Zach and Jeff Podcast w/ CPJ

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ frequents a local watering hole of mine. Most people there are regulars and know who CPJ is so they don't bother him because it's his private time. I can tell you first hand that he will talk to anyone that comes up to him, and usually has a funny retort for those who ask him about the team or the how the season is going.

Just don't approach him when he's playing pool. That's his business time!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Great interview. Really enjoyed hearing his insight on a lot of these things. Especially how we couldn't go after Ellis Johnson or retain Charles Kelly because of budget. With the Hewitt and Gregory contracts ending in 2017, the new apparel contract (likely large) coming in 2017 from Under Armour or Nike, and the ACC Network in 2019 guaranteeing some huge cash flow similar to what the Big Ten and SEC Networks provided, I will be interested to see how our "commitment to football" changes.

Just for the apparel contract alone, we should see a huge increase. Our current contract made in 2008 was worth $20 million for ten years. For comparison, Wisconsin signed a contract last year with Under Armour worth $96 million over ten years. Even getting just half that is a 150% increase in our yearly revenue in that regard. As for the network, I've seen reports of each SEC school receiving $30+ million from the SEC network. Though I don't know if we get much at all from the ACC Digital Network. Sign Notre Dame as a full time member for market viewing, bring UConn or USF in for a 16 team conference, split into 4 divisions, have a 4 team conference playoff every year, and roll in the viewership dough. Sorry to go on a financial rant, I just got frustrated hearing budget hurt us so badly on two big hires.

Great interview. Really enjoyed hearing his insight on a lot of these things. Especially how we couldn't go after Ellis Johnson or retain Charles Kelly because of budget. With the Hewitt and Gregory contracts ending in 2017, the new apparel contract (likely large) coming in 2017 from Under Armour or Nike, and the ACC Network in 2019 guaranteeing some huge cash flow similar to what the Big Ten and SEC Networks provided, I will be interested to see how our "commitment to football" changes.

Just for the apparel contract alone, we should see a huge increase. Our current contract made in 2008 was worth $20 million for ten years. For comparison, Wisconsin signed a contract last year with Under Armour worth $96 million over ten years. Even getting just half that is a 150% increase in our yearly revenue in that regard. As for the network, I've seen reports of each SEC school receiving $30+ million from the SEC network. Though I don't know if we get much at all from the ACC Digital Network. Sign Notre Dame as a full time member for market viewing, bring UConn or USF in for a 16 team conference, split into 4 divisions, have a 4 team conference playoff every year, and roll in the viewership dough. Sorry to go on a financial rant, I just got frustrated hearing budget hurt us so badly on two big hires.
Because they are perennial rivals, IF ND joins the ACC, then adding Navy as the 16th team might make the deal more attractive to ND and couldn't hurt the conference.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
As for the network, I've seen reports of each SEC school receiving $30+ million from the SEC network..

The SEC teams received $32.7MM average in total from the conference, not just from the SEC Network. http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...million-in-first-year-of-cfp-and-sec-network/

The ACC teams received $26.4MM average in total from the conference. http://www.syracuse.com/acc/index.s...r_last_year_syracuse_receives_24_million.html The ACC included a $36.1MM buyout from Maryland as part of their income for the 2014-2015, so that will go down this year. However there are other revenues that should increase. I don't know if next years payout will be more or less.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No no no....haven't you been paying attention to FSU fans? Kelly benefited from other coaches recruiting talent and has forgotten all about how to coach a D since arriving in Tallahassee....he's gotta go.......tic but it's typical fan think.

On a side note. It's interesting to think what would have happened here with Ellis Johnson as DC starting in 08. Tech has not and still is not willing to pony up to play with the big boys of college football....even with all of our other restraints. Not likely to change much either.

We will more likely have 5 new head coaches before it does change.:meh:

Actually. What is more sad or interesting is we pay roof 750k. Ellis woulda come here for that easily.

So. Roof is paid top 26 of all assistants and top 15 for dc iirc. Time for a change since we have the budget in that slot.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Because they are perennial rivals, IF ND joins the ACC, then adding Navy as the 16th team might make the deal more attractive to ND and couldn't hurt the conference.
Navy was my first choice, but with their recent joining of the AAC, I wasn't sure if they would be allowed to move that quickly. But I wouldn't underestimate the influence of Notre Dame football. I'd be very happy with that league.

I would imagine our division being something like Clemson, FSU, Miami, and GT geographically and to maintain rivalries. Lump the 4 NC schools together. Virginia, Virginia Tech, BC, and Syracuse. Then Louisville, ND, Navy, and Pitt. Split Northern and Southern for two 8 team divisions. Speculation is fun.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well that’s what I was wondering but that contract should’ve ended last year (700k until 2015). He basically got paid 1.5mil last year just to coach linebackers at South Carolina. Apparently Southern Miss bought his contract out by selling home field advantage back to Nebraska for 2.1million dollars. That’s a damn good deal.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I just listened to it finally. Had an hr drive so thought I'd take it in. Damn. That was flipping great! All I can say is Todd get this man some money for a staff and recruiting. I hope he coached another 10 years at Tech. I forward the link to my Michigan buddy who can't understand why we can't keep up with Uga, Clemson and the FSU's. This will really put things in perspective for an outsider. One thing I want to add to my bucket list is to sit down at a hole in the wall bar and have a drink or two with CPJ. No Tech talk. Just football in general. This man gets it and tells it like it is. God dammit Todd. Get this man what he wants.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
One thing I want to add to my bucket list is to sit down at a hole in the wall bar and have a drink or two with CPJ. No Tech talk. Just football in general. This man gets it and tells it like it is. God dammit Todd. Get this man what he wants.

I've been fortunate enough to do something like that a time or two with him. One on one, he is an absolute riot. He really does have a great sense of humor and has a treasure trove of great stories.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Actually. What is more sad or interesting is we pay roof 750k. Ellis woulda come here for that easily.

So. Roof is paid top 26 of all assistants and top 15 for dc iirc. Time for a change since we have the budget in that slot.
Had no clue about these numbers, thank you for posting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've always enjoyed sports writers. Several of them are truly gifted writers that make you think about the game, or think of it in new ways, and are a joy to read or listen to.

Red Barber was one. Frank Deford another.

Bark Madley is neither. I've found his writing style to be average. His columns petty. And his tone ... vindictive.

Only four teams have been in the Top 10 for the past 80 years - Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Oklahoma. Even Tennessee, while close, hasn't been a consistent competitor.

Tech has been close to 60% winner though. Despite EVERYTHING. Four national championships. Not bad for scrappy engineers from North Avenue.

The question though, has never been about the spread offense. It's about talent and execution.

And BDS? He is smart enough to know about our alumni base, where they are located, and how we do vs. our peers. LSU empties it stadium half way through the game. He didn't mention that.

A hit piece from a very unhappy man.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

A lot of folks mention Navy joining the ACC for various reasons.
- How does anyone know that Navy would even have any interest?
- N.D. could still keep Navy on their schedule if they wanted to without them being an ACC member.
- I do not think there is any way Navy could upgrade their basketball and Olympic sports to be comfortable in the ACC.
- If we gave N.D. that kind of power to influence such a decision we would prove ourselves to be idiots.
- IF someone is added as # 16 the ACC needs to aim MUCH, MUCH higher. If that means N.D. has to get off the pot & go home then so be it.
- There is indeed a possibility that adding Navy to the ACC could hurt the conference. (Wonder how many on this board were at GF in 1980 when we played Navy, 1 week after we tied number 1 N.D., and there were fewer than 18,000 in the stands.)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Everything I've read about the future of college football is that we'll end up with 4 conferences of 16 teams each.

That's why it's critical that we fundraise sufficient to maintain our FBS position. If the ACC were to add, I think West Virginia makes the most sense geographically.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member