Zach and Jeff Podcast w/ CPJ

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The only offer for Ken that has reached public ears is the BYU one. Nothing to say those schools haven't tried for Ken.

I will say this if I had a lower/midlevel G5 job open I'd go after Ken's OC Mr. Jasper as a HC.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Ken would be crazy to leave Navy, unless the offer was an insane amount of money. I think if he retires at Navy his salary will be an average of his last 36 months.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I really enjoyed CPJ interview. It was obvious how comfortable he was with these guys asking him questions because they were not out to get him. Because of this, he was more open with his comments. He understands what type of Student Athlete tech needs to recruit to be successful in the classroom. He came here in part to coach similar kids as the kids at the Naval Academy. I fully agree that Tech cannot get the same kids that the SEC schools/Football Factories can get because of the kids have to go to class at Tech. Tech is not on an even playing field with SEC/Football Factory schools since most of the schools graduate many more students than Tech and there stadiums hold 100,000 fans and bring in more revenue and have a larger coaching staff and..... We must run a different system that will help even things out. Why would we run the same system as the SEC/Football Factories and hope to be competitive. I am glad he is at Tech and I hope he stays until he is ready to retire.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There are at least two longtime doormats in every P5 conference that would be better served by running an option O.

Interesting take from Dan Reeves today re both the Atlanta Falcons game as well as his thoughts on Kirby Smart's Third and One/Fourth and One call.

Re Kirby, Dan said ..."You look at the call sheet and see what you practiced. That's what you feel best about it and you run it and hope for the best."

Re the TO ... he said the pros HATED this offense, especially the coaches (Tom Landry). It is extremely hard to defend against.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The only offer for Ken that has reached public ears is the BYU one. Nothing to say those schools haven't tried for Ken.

I will say this if I had a lower/midlevel G5 job open I'd go after Ken's OC Mr. Jasper as a HC.
I'd go after Ivin Jasper for the Purdue job, even. What do they have to lose?

Though I doubt Bobinksi will go into CPJ's coaching tree.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Coach N will never leave Navy. Why should he? He's got a great position, there's the unlimited recruiting aspect (I bet Coach wishes he had that at Tech), and the fans like him. That and the schedule he plays every year virtually guarantee success. Why risk that?

I do think Coach Jasper will get an offer soon, however, and that he'll take it. Then we shall see. If Purdue has any sense he'd be their choice.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see how anyone can not like CPJ. I of course want us to be competitive and win football games every year but I hope it’s with CPJ.

For a lot of schools, including us, it is not very efficient to play musical chairs in hiring a FBHC.

Since 1967 we have had 9, I believe, HC. Number 9 is still here. Four had to be "Tech Men ". Only FOUR were fired. Three left for, in their eye, better jobs.

Seems to me GT is not that bad a gig.

I think all agree we want to be competitive & win.

The question becomes - how long? You give someone 10, 15, 20 years? Or does the real world ever enter into it?

It is not a matter of anyone, outside of some radio *******es, not liking CPJ. Nobody has ever questioned his decency, morals, love of his kids or family.

For a lot of schools, including us, it is not very efficient to play musical chairs in hiring a FBHC.

Since 1967 we have had 9, I believe, HC. Number 9 is still here. Four had to be "Tech Men ". Only FOUR were fired. Three left for, in their eye, better jobs.

Seems to me GT is not that bad a gig.

I think all agree we want to be competitive & win.

The question becomes - how long? You give someone 10, 15, 20 years? Or does the real world ever enter into it?

It is not a matter of anyone, outside of some radio *******es, not liking CPJ. Nobody has ever questioned his decency, morals, love of his kids or family.
Only 3 were fired: Carson, Pepper, and Lewis. If you are counting Fulcher as the 4th, he wasn't fired; he simply quit and entered private life --- mainly because of a screwed up wife.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In the real world, we just hired a head bball coach whose former school was paying to leave because our top 3 or so candidates turned us down.

And an ACC bball hc job is more attractive than football.

We have a coach who has shown he can win. He runs an offense that can keep us in most games.

Thinking we can find a coach that will flip the switch and make us Bama seems crazy to me. That being said, if we don't get better on D, we'll have to see what happens.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
There have been plenty of people questioning his love of the kids.

What? No. At most, I have heard some question whether he is too strict (which others love) and maybe for saying things like "the players need to execute better" during press conferences (almost always coupled with "and we need to coach better"). I have NEVER heard someone question his commitment to or love for the kids.

What? No. At most, I have heard some question whether he is too strict (which others love) and maybe for saying things like "the players need to execute better" during press conferences (almost always coupled with "and we need to coach better"). I have NEVER heard someone question his commitment to or love for the kids.
Lots of people (probably mostly mutts) claim he throws his players under the bus. But that is totally absurd, because he has never done that. O'Leary, on the other hand, did throw Joe Burns under the bus.