Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Dan Mullen has been brought up before as a potential head coach candidate. I’ve heard from a few sources in the entertainment bizz(connections to ESPN) that Mullen is enjoying essentially being an OC again at Lake Oconee, while he’s on TV.

He didn’t like recruiting or the pressure of being HC at Florida. For the right price, could he possibly be interested in being an OC again at the Power Five level without that pressure? What if Key had Mullen as an OC and Thacker return as DC?
Mullen isn’t even a OC at lake oconee. He just donates money and helps review film and give suggestions during the week, that way his kids can go to the school there.

Deleted member 6494

It appears they know the coach has been chosen, but they want their candidate, and are trying to find a way get Key instead. If Batt is a good AD, he will go by the proven method of hiring the candidate with the best record to go along with his coaching.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It appears they know the coach has been chosen, but they want their candidate, and are trying to find a way get Key instead. If Batt is a good AD, he will go by the proven method of hiring the candidate with the best record to go along with his coaching.
I think you heavily overestimate the power of anonymous people posting on internet forums. If ANY person on this forum thinks that their posts will have any influence on the selection of the next coach, they are in need of psychiatric care.

Also, I think that the great majority of posters are going to support whoever Batt announces as the next coach. However, if people start denigrating those who have a preference they don't like, that has a much higher chance of causing dissent after the announcement than several different groups touting what they perceive as the strength of their preferred candidate.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Patrick, you seem like a nice fellow of sorts. But do you really think WE think the AD has any interest in what we say here on this forum? I know you are new here as you mentioned previously but I think you may want to take a deep breathe and get a better feel of things around here before you post. I happen to believe NO ONE in these threads take themselves all that seriously.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Mullen isn’t even a OC at lake oconee. He just donates money and helps review film and give suggestions during the week, that way his kids can go to the school there.
Are you just trolling with the changing of your profile pics?

Deleted member 6494

Zzzzzzzzz.... We're intimidating the A.D.? WTF? We're just talking, for Bhudda's sake. And I would certainly hope the A.D. isn't listening.
That is not the message earlier that said they were beefing up their efforts to persuade Batt to choose Key. Although, I don't think they offered the name Batt, but the message indicated same.

Why would any poster get with others to push Key. It should be an individual statement for their choice of a candidate and not a group to try and sway everyone for their candidate.

The board should be for ideas, discussions, opinions, praising coaches and players, and just exchanging ideas. Bonding together to get an AD to choose your candidate may get you another Collins or Lewis.

Deleted member 6494

Patrick, you seem like a nice fellow of sorts. But do you really think WE think the AD has any interest in what we say here on this forum? I know you are new here as you mentioned previously but I think you may want to take a deep breathe and get a better feel of things around here before you post. I happen to believe NO ONE in these threads take themselves all that seriously.
I would not have mentioned it, but a poster said that they were getting a movement together to boost Key for the job. I have seen it before at Tech, and it caused serious damage to the football coach and team.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After rewatching the 4th quarter. I was so impressed with the oline. I have disparaged the oline, but they were amazing throughout the 4th even with all the injuries. Getting the late TD and a late 3rd down conversion was so impressive. The right side in my opinion won the game. Hats off gentleman.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, J Batt waited a long time to get an AD job and he's glued to this forum to know who to hire. Makes a ton of sense

Deleted member 6494

I think you heavily overestimate the power of anonymous people posting on internet forums. If ANY person on this forum thinks that their posts will have any influence on the selection of the next coach, they are in need of psychiatric care.

Also, I think that the great majority of posters are going to support whoever Batt announces as the next coach. However, if people start denigrating those who have a preference they don't like, that has a much higher chance of causing dissent after the announcement than several different groups touting what they perceive as the strength of their preferred candidate.
I have not and will not denigrate a poster on this board. I offered my opinion as who should be the next head coach based on research of the candidates.

I have said many times already that I don't know Key and don't have anything against him. I have stated that in my research, I have not found him to have the credentials for the job and did not think he would get it, and I still stand behind my opinion.

Have I seen a members of a board try to persuade posters to join together to influence a Tech AD to prefer one candidate over another? Yes, absolutely.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
After rewatching the 4th quarter. I was so impressed with the oline. I have disparaged the oline, but they were amazing throughout the 4th even with all the injuries. Getting the late TD and a late 3rd down conversion was so impressive. The right side in my opinion won the game. Hats off gentleman.
They've been playing better of late. I've disparaged them too, but they're coming along. Quick's injury looked like he may be out next week, though, and I think Franklin got banged up, too.

Deleted member 6494

Yeah, J Batt waited a long time to get an AD job and he's glued to this forum to know who to hire. Makes a ton of sense
I did not get the idea they were beefing up their efforts through posts; my perspective was that they were getting together to send him their views, the players views, and some parents views.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
J reached out to me today and asked me if I could provide some stats on the number of times the words "Brent", "Key", "Jamey", and "Chadwell" were mentioned within the last 24 hours. I asked if I should include acronyms like "IHCBK" or "CJC" and he said no. So for those of you "campaigning" for or against Key or Chadwell, the mere mention of their name may have unintended impact on J's decision.

/sarcasm

Okay seriously, J is going to hire who he ultimately thinks will give Georgia Tech the best chance to win. None of us here can predict the future on how successful any of the candidates would be at Georgia Tech. Unless you won the 2B powerball lottery last week with your omniscient abilities in which case you may want to submit a sizeable donation to the GTAA and have J call you directly.

I love the passion of our fanbase but we can get a bit overzealous sometimes with our own want to be right and the want to be able to say "I told you so" to a bunch of strangers on the internet. So much so that I sometimes feel like some fans secretly cheer for us to lose so you can be proven right.

I like to believe that Georgia Tech is bigger than any one of our individual opinions. I sincerely hope that whoever is our next head coach, our desire to see Georgia Tech win overcomes anyone's desire for the "I told you so" trophy and we all support the hell out of the new coach for at least a few years.

Go Jackets! :buzz:

Deleted member 6494

LOL.

On Friday, BK had 60 votes. Today, it's 104.

If that's desperation... ;)
I went back to page 1 and someone had changed Keys votes from 60 to 115. All of the other votes remained the same. Where did the additional votes originate? It is dishonest to change the figures to justify one's own benefits of a coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Desperation is being seen in the Key segment of the posting members; it sounds similar to the same thing we went through with the group that wanted to stop Gailey from being coach. The lobbying effort is not saying we want the best coach; it is saying we only one coach who is our favorite.

I still see the same trend, and it is desperation and intimidation.

This comes off as "I'm gonna pout if Key is hired." Maybe you don't mean it that way, but it sure seems like you would be very put out if Key was announced as the new HC.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
We still have people voting for Key. That says a lot about our fan base. I pity who comes next. They are doomed to fail or be run out by stupid fans.

Yeah, talk about settling. I don't get it at all. Why even fire CGC if we simply shrug our collective shoulders and say "meh, just give Key 5 year deal and lets forget about football for a while"? At least we would be down even more money.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
This comes off as "I'm gonna pout if Key is hired." Maybe you don't mean it that way, but it sure seems like you would be very put out if Key was announced as the new HC.

I'll pout only because it means GT football will remain irrelevant for several more years. I only have so many years left, it would be nice to field a HC that can get us back on the National scene. Brent Key ain't it.

I'll root for whomever they hire, but Key would be unexciting. A lot would have to go right for him to be above average HC. Not feeling it. Too much "Tech man" and I get the feeling of "he'd do better than CGC I suppose".