Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This whole situation is very similar to the 2020-2021 Atlanta Hawks. That season, the Hawks were supposed to take a step forward under 3rd year head coach Lloyd Pierce but were terrible through the first half of the season.

The Hawks fired Pierce mid-season, and promoted Nate McMillan to interim head coach. McMillan led the Hawks to the best record in the NBA over the last half of the regular season, including the most 4th quarter comebacks. Then he took them to Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

The next season (last year), the Hawks hired McMillan full-time but looked like a shell of the team from the latter half of the previous season. And they got blown out in the opening round of the playoffs.

Now, hiring McMillan full-time was a no brainer because of his previous head coaching experience and his legitimate playoff success with the Hawks. But, it’s clear that the Hawks run was due to the firing of Pierce than any McMillan magic. When the head coach is the cancer, getting rid of it mid-season is such a benefit to the team culture and an inherent “fresh start” that I worry it’s not a true barometer of future team success.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Similar-but-different situation in the NHL - Dallas fired their coach in the fall of 2019 (but for alcoholism-related behavior stuff) and put an interim guy in place. Overall the team was struggling during the season under the interim compared to before, but put together a miracle run to the finals in the Covid bubble. Probably more about some special magic of chemistry in that situation and some good luck, plus the interim opening things up more in that bubble than he generally did out of it.

They hired the interim guy, who had a long resume of not-great-success in previous HC stints, and promptly missed the playoffs and then suffered a first-round loss with some of the most boring offense in the league.

I'd want a UGA win to give the job to Key. There's a lot of unknowns vs going with someone with a better track record, so lets make sure we really get our money's worth now if we're going that route.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
Not really. Love it when we win, love it when UNC loses, and I doubt it's going to change anything in regards to the HC choice.

Whether Key should get a chance is one discussion. Whether he will get a chance is another. No way a new AD comes in and promotes from within the staff that got the previous AD fired mid year barring something absolutely crazy (which upsetting #1 UGA coming of a championship is). Way too risky. If we reverted back to the way we looked last year because of seniors leaving on defense then we become a laughing stock as a program and he becomes a laughing stock as an AD. Only way Key has any chance of getting the job is beating UGA, which if he did everyone would be happy ecstatic about.
Agreed. I'm thankful for key for preparing the guys and making the most out of the season, but its time to move on and rid us of the stink that was the "Collins Era". We're looking for a bigger splash than Key.

Key will be in contention for the job, but will he get a serious look, i doubt it. Now, if he somehow wins this week, then JBatt's decision then becomes much much harder and it would be mighty difficult to say no to Key, but i'm leaning more towards your statement that you dont hire a splash AD with the intention of hiring within which I believe is the right decision.

Lets see what happens this week. Go jackets!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. I'm thankful for key for preparing the guys and making the most out of the season, but its time to move on and rid us of the stink that was the "Collins Era". We're looking for a bigger splash than Key.

Key will be in contention for the job, but will he get a serious look, i doubt it. Now, if he somehow wins this week, then JBatt's decision then becomes much much harder and it would be mighty difficult to say no to Key, but i'm leaning more towards your statement that you dont hire a splash AD with the intention of hiring within which I believe is the right decision.

Lets see what happens this week. Go jackets!
Probably already a done deal and not Key.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I went back to page 1 and someone had changed Keys votes from 60 to 115. All of the other votes remained the same. Where did the additional votes originate? It is dishonest to change the figures to justify one's own benefits of a coach.
Patrick,

I started this thread, and I set up the poll. I want to clarify a few things that may be helpful to you and to other newer forum members.

FWIW, I chose the list of candidates listed in the poll based on the candidates proposed by another well-known fan forum. Some of their recommendations have gotten scant attention here. Additionally, I have seen other candidates (such as Lance Leipold & Tom Herman, for example) proposed by YouTubers, but I can't change the choices in the poll at this point. Anyone who wants to vote for one of those guys would have to choose "other" and make their case in a post below.

The polling feature of this forum allows the creator to establish how the poll will be conducted. Among the possibilities are:
  1. the ability to change one's vote
  2. the ability to vote for more than one candidate
  3. a deadline for the end of the poll
I allowed Option #1. (I felt that people's opinions of who they wanted as HC would change as the season progressed and they had more W/L results to evaluate.)

I did not allow Option #2. (People may not vote for more than one candidate. Signature and Photo ID are required. Juuust kidding. This is Georgia, after all.)

I did not select Option #3. (Mail-in ballots will be counted regardless of postmark. Just like the real world. More kidding - sort of.)

So, each forum member may vote for only one candidate, BUT he or she may change that vote to a different candidate if they choose to do so.

With the end of the season drawing nigh (for Tech, anyway), more people are tuning in and/or casting their ONE vote for the first time while others are changing their ONE vote based on wins and losses (and possibly even arguments presented here! Okay, maybe not.).

As I pointed out in a previous post (which you may have misinterpreted), there has been a sudden shift in favor of Key. But this is not the result of "ballot-stuffing" - it's the result of the performance of the team against a ranked opponent. If we suffer a huge beat-down on Saturday, I expect some frustrated or drunk (or both) voters will abandon Key in favor of Chadwell or "other". Conversely, if we win, I am sure that there will be a tidal wave of votes moving into the Key column.

Finally, it may be true that the players and their families are seeking to demonstrate their support for Key. PAC and ADJB need to consider that support in their evaluation, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that JBatt (or anyone else of significance) gives a hoot about what is said in this or any other online forum. We're just here for the fun of shooting the breeze with folks who share a common interest.

No offense to SWARM intended, of course.

Last edited:

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I have not and will not denigrate a poster on this board. I offered my opinion as who should be the next head coach based on research of the candidates.

I have said many times already that I don't know Key and don't have anything against him. I have stated that in my research, I have not found him to have the credentials for the job and did not think he would get it, and I still stand behind my opinion.

Have I seen a members of a board try to persuade posters to join together to influence a Tech AD to prefer one candidate over another? Yes, absolutely.
My guy, you do not need to defend your beliefs with other posters here. You had a view and stated it, it didn't go against community guidelines, so why state your "why"? If people dont agree with you, so what. they'll get over it i promise. Don't change your beliefs for others, an opinion is like an ***hole, everyone has one!

Deleted member 6494

Who gets a rat's behind about a poll it's all for fun.
You are correct, it is fun except when someone is being dishonest and strewing the figures. I would assume all who voted were curious about the trend of the board member's opinions.

If a board is nothing more than a sham, it is worthless.

Deleted member 6494

My guy, you do not need to defend your beliefs with other posters here. You had a view and stated it, it didn't go against community guidelines, so why state your "why"? If people dont agree with you, so what. they'll get over it i promise. Don't change your beliefs for others, an opinion is like an ***hole, everyone has one!
I guess I am on the wrong board if there is no validity in the contents of the posters.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are correct, it is fun except when someone is being dishonest and strewing the figures. I would assume all who voted were curious about the trend of the board member's opinions.

If a board is nothing more than a sham, it is worthless.
Sorry, are you really alleging that a mod is altering vote totals? It's just not that serious of a poll my guy.

I originally voted Key, changed it to other at some point last week because I viewed 6 wins as an impossibility, but with our win and UGA looking beatable vs UK have now changed it back to Key.

Deleted member 6494

Patrick,

I started this thread, and I set up the poll. I want to clarify a few things that may be helpful to you and to other newer forum members.

FWIW, I chose the list of candidates listed in the poll based on the candidates proposed by another well-known fan forum. Some of their recommendations have gotten scant attention here. Additionally, I have seen other candidates (such as Lance Leipold & Tom Herman, for example) proposed by YouTubers, but I can't change the choices in the poll at this point. Anyone who wants to vote for one of those guys would have to choose "other" and make their case in a post below.

The polling feature of this forum allows the creator to establish how the poll will be conducted. Among the possibilities are:
  1. the ability to change one's vote
  2. the ability to vote for more than one candidate
  3. a deadline for the end of the poll
I allowed Option #1. (I felt that people's opinions of who they wanted as HC would change as the season progressed and they had more W/L results to evaluate.)

I did not allow Option #2. (People may not vote for more than one candidate. Signature and Photo ID are required. Juuust kidding. This is Georgia, after all.)

I did not select Option #3. (Mail-in ballots will be counted regardless of postmark. Just like the real world. More kidding - sort of.)

So, each forum member may vote for only one candidate, BUT he or she may change that vote to a different candidate if they choose to do so.

With the end of the season drawing nigh (for Tech, anyway), more people are tuning in and/or casting their ONE vote for the first time while others are changing their ONE vote based on wins and losses (and possibly even arguments presented here! Okay, maybe not.).

As I pointed out in a previous post (which you may have misinterpreted), there has been a sudden shift in favor of Key. But this is not the result of "ballot-stuffing" - it's the result of the performance of the team against a ranked opponent. If we suffer a huge beat-down on Saturday, I expect some frustrated or drunk (or both) voters will abandon Key in favor of Chadwell or "other". Conversely, if we win, I am sure that there will be a tidal wave of votes moving into the Key column.

Finally, it may be true that the players and their families are seeking to demonstrate their support for Key. PAC and ADJB need to consider that support in their evaluation, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that JBatt (or anyone else of significance) gives a hoot about what is said in this or any other online forum. We're just here for the fun of shooting the breeze with folks who share a common interest.

No offense to SWARM intended, of course.
Sorry, but changing of one's mind had nothing to do with the additional votes for Key. The additional votes for Key while maintaining the same votes for the other candidates shows an attempt to strew the voting.

Deleted member 6494

This comes off as "I'm gonna pout if Key is hired." Maybe you don't mean it that way, but it sure seems like you would be very put out if Key was announced as the new HC.
No, we all know who I prefer, but it would not change my day if Key is selected; I am confident he will not get the job. However, it is obvious that some on the board will be highly upset when he does not get it.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll pout only because it means GT football will remain irrelevant for several more years. I only have so many years left, it would be nice to field a HC that can get us back on the National scene. Brent Key ain't it.

I'll root for whomever they hire, but Key would be unexciting. A lot would have to go right for him to be above average HC. Not feeling it. Too much "Tech man" and I get the feeling of "he'd do better than CGC I suppose".
I like what Key has done. I think he will hold onto a bigger portion of the roster than any new coach would since he would retain most assistants. But that being said, I am torn. The AD has to look at revenue, coaching and the ability to recruit. I think new blood would help revenue and recruiting. But as Collins proved coaching is a huge part of a successful team. I would be fine with Key but marginally would vote for the right coach.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First, I have nothing against Key. He seems like an outstanding man and good coach. I see an interesting phenomenon. There is some psychology effect going on as the minute Key is selected many were hoping he would be the head coach. Why? This is a HC selection from a 3 win per seasons coaching staff for 3 seasons. I think some of this was hope that a change, any change, would produce an 8 and 4 season, a win over UGA, and a bowl (plus it is a known decision versus unknown). This outcome, of course, would be better than a 3 win season. Now it appears that GT might be 5 and 7, which is 2 wins better than 3 wins.

There are two possibilities. Either Collins was a screw up or Collins was an ok coach, but Key is a mastermind that with his actions was able to get the team to 2 extra wins. Collins as a screw up seems more applicable, He was most likely spitting in all the coaches soups. Without Collins, we see better special teams, better calls in general, and improved position groups almost imedeately. I would even say defense improved (more of a feel as I have not looked at the numbers).

The other possibility is that Key is a mastermind of a HC and immediately implemented his novel special teams plan, worked a complex strategy to get more form each position groups, and even taught Thacker a few things he was dying to do when he was the OL coach.

I think the real answer here is that Collins was a screw up and he screwed up every aspect of the team. Key is a solid coach who is not a screw up and stopped doing the crazy Collins circus.

Initially the players wanted Collins to stay. Now they want Key to stay. People vote relationship and what they know more than some unknown possibility.

This is not anti Key, this is me trying to find reality over emotion.

Does anyone know of data where an interim head coach parleyed into a great head coach... even at that, a position coach jumped to interm HC and then to HC and succeeded?

I was not excited with Collins because 2 declining seasons at Temple is not good data. Now I have data that a position coach can win at least 5 games at GT (keep in mind I like the man, its hard not too). If we are making a financial decision or no one else with better data wants the job, Key is perfect. The data is what the data is until we get more data.

Last edited: