Your choice for Head Coach

Who is your choice for Tech's next Head Coach?

• Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina

Votes: 188 36.5%
  • Tyson Helton, WKU

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Mike Houston, ECU

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Charles Huff, Marshall

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Brent Key, Georgia Tech (IHC)

Votes: 182 35.3%
  • Sean Lewis, Kent State

• Bill O’Brien, Alabama (OC)

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Deion Sanders, Jackson State

Votes: 64 12.4%
  • Kane Wommack, South Alabama

• Other

Votes: 50 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
1668975594855.png

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
comes down to more than endorsements from the players unfortunately for key
Obviously. But it’s worth taking into consideration we may lose our top 2 QBs, our best WR, at least one of our starting OL, and multiple others. Whoever we bring in should be aware the roster might look even worse next year than it does this year, and they need to have a plan in place to address that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
comes down to more than endorsements from the players unfortunately for key

It's going to be a business decision, not a sentimental decision. There's a LOT of sentiment for Key and he's definitely the emotional pick right now, but Batt and Cabrera have checklist of "wants" from the next head coach and they are not going to let emotions move themselves from it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously. But it’s worth taking into consideration we may lose our top 2 QBs, our best WR, at least one of our starting OL, and multiple others. Whoever we bring in should be aware the roster might look even worse next year than it does this year, and they need to have a plan in place to address that.

Players are easier to replace than a good HFC. Especially with the transfer portal in play.

If Batt and Cabrera get a good coach, he'll attract players to GT.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ya know...I never thought about this before, but try this on for size:

Are engineers simply more cynical than the average person? Are they "glass half empty" types? Do they take pride in "number-crunching" and "being realistic"?

I mean, on the DISC profile, we're probably not talking about a lot of high D, high I folks in that pool, are we? I'd be willing to bet that engineers, programmers, scientists, analysts, etc, tend to high on the S & C end of the spectrum. But that could also lead to a generally negative, skeptical outlook on coaches, life, whatever.

So, does that make Tech fanbase hard to please out of the gate?
I'm high D, low I, low S, medium C.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be a business decision, not a sentimental decision. There's a LOT of sentiment for Key and he's definitely the emotional pick right now, but Batt and Cabrera have checklist of "wants" from the next head coach and they are not going to let emotions move themselves from it.
No doubt. But since you mention emotion, I must say these players are playing hard for coach Key, and in college football that can mean a lot. It should be factored into their decision.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
McCollum and Pyron are both staying at tech.
Pyron committed to tech since it was close to home and his parents love the school. Amazing family.
I use to live near Dutchdown HS in McDonough Ga where McCollum went to HS and based off what I’ve heard, he’s not leaving either. McCollum loves the school and it’s only about a 45 minute drive from his family.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No doubt. But since you mention emotion, I must say these players are playing hard for coach Key, and in college football that can mean a lot. It should be factored into their decision.
I am of the opinion that technical expertise (the X's and O's stuff for coaches) is more common and can be purchased as it is more of a commodity.But authentic leadership (the ability in this instance to take young men who are double digit underdogs and playing backups at key positions-pun intended- on the road and win not once but twice) is rare.* I know I have only seen it just a handful of times in my working career out of countless men and women who were in "leadership" positions.

*I will say it can not be the only tool in your tool box (the Sioux pulled off a major upset once against the US Calvary and the US college kids beat the professional Russian team in ice hockey one time in the Olympics) or it is not sustainable. But IHBK has the rarest trait in spades. You can easily go get the rest of it - mainly recruiters and technicians and the like.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am of the opinion that technical expertise (the X's and O's stuff for coaches) is more common and can be purchased as it is more of a commodity.But authentic leadership (the ability in this instance to take young men who are double digit underdogs and playing backups at key positions-pun intended- on the road and win not once but twice) is rare.* I know I have only seen it just a handful of times in my working career out of countless men and women who were in "leadership" positions.

*I will say it can not be the only tool in your tool box (the Sioux pulled off a major upset once against the US Calvary and the US college kids beat the professional Russian team in ice hockey one time in the Olympics) or it is not sustainable. But IHBK has the rarest trait in spades. You can easily go get the rest of it - mainly recruiters and technicians and the like.
Key reminds me of Dabo in this regard. Get the assistants around him to succeed and an offseason to get the team clicking on all cylinders.

Deleted member 6494

It might look even better if once the players see how their roles might flourish under the new coach and offensive system. When a new coach is presented, he generally gets all of the players together and finds out their desires and also tells them the type of system used. I really don't think it matters much with the defensive system as most are similar with a few different tactics thrown in.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

You want to play for a guy you would go to war for. Chadwell may have that at CC but Key has it here. Not to say Chadwell can't get here but it will take time if he comes.

Deleted member 6494

You want to play for a guy you would go to war for. Chadwell may have that at CC but Key has it here. Not to say Chadwell can't get here but it will take time if he comes.
Desperation is being seen in the Key segment of the posting members; it sounds similar to the same thing we went through with the group that wanted to stop Gailey from being coach. The lobbying effort is not saying we want the best coach; it is saying we only one coach who is our favorite.