WTF are the Hawks doing?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
If the Hawks make any moves it better be Schroeder, Milsap, and draft picks for Westbrook. Other than that there nothing I can see them doing that would make them a serious contender in the East.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
trade the team away for young guys and draft picks and hope and pray someone turns into a star is the only way the Hawks will ever be a serious contender it is a star driven league

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think the Spurs prove every year you can win without having 3 all stars on your team. Celtics have done a great job this year with that too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the Spurs prove every year you can win without having 3 all stars on your team. Celtics have done a great job this year with that too.

Eh, when SAS won big they had multiple HOFers plus Kawhii. BOS is a regular season tiger just like the 60-win ATL team.

I'm looking for a team that built a winner by tanking for young guys and picks. I contend that doesn't exist. SAS are the closest since they tanked for Duncan (quiet as it's kept). But that was still a vet team when Timmay arrived.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Leonard is top 10 player in the NBA right now and they have Aldridge is a borderline all star Pau is still a very above average player as well

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I'm not suggesting tanking by any means I'm just saying we got to get younger and hope someone explodes in coach buds system

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not suggesting tanking by any means I'm just saying we got to get younger and hope someone explodes in coach buds system

Unfortunately "getting younger" will likely lead to a bit of a tank. Honestly, this year I have no problem with them going for it. ECF is right there for the taking but they gotta get to the 3-seed. To do that, they need to add talent.

- DEN wants a pick and an expiring for either Gallinari or Chandler. I prefer Chandler due to health but would take either.
- PHI wants a pick for Okafor. Now, I hate Okafor's game but I'd do that to add him as a bench big to replace Muscala's minutes since he's come way back down to Earth.
- ORL wants a pick for Vucavic - same as above. I don't like him but he can score and rebound off the bench.
- MIL wants a pick for Greg Monroe (who I despise) but, same as Vucavic. He can help us off the bench.

A secondary deal I'd do is go out and get Tucker from PHX as an upgrade over Thabo. Depending on if any bench pieces are traded, I'd go after Lee in NYK as a guard upgrade.

Now, granted, none of these deals are blockbuster moves but I don't really think any blockbuster moves are available considering what assets we have. We have no lotto picks or young potential all-stars (other than THJr) so other teams will be more enticing to land guys like Butler and George.

A guy on the Hawks board claims he has a source that says the Hawks were in talks for George (for THJr, Baze and picks). I don't believe that although he's been right before. He also says Lillard is available. Again, TIFWIW which is not much IMHO. I do think POR needs to trade one of he or McCollum though.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Unfortunately "getting younger" will likely lead to a bit of a tank. Honestly, this year I have no problem with them going for it. ECF is right there for the taking but they gotta get to the 3-seed. To do that, they need to add talent.

- DEN wants a pick and an expiring for either Gallinari or Chandler. I prefer Chandler due to health but would take either.
- PHI wants a pick for Okafor. Now, I hate Okafor's game but I'd do that to add him as a bench big to replace Muscala's minutes since he's come way back down to Earth.
- ORL wants a pick for Vucavic - same as above. I don't like him but he can score and rebound off the bench.
- MIL wants a pick for Greg Monroe (who I despise) but, same as Vucavic. He can help us off the bench.

A secondary deal I'd do is go out and get Tucker from PHX as an upgrade over Thabo. Depending on if any bench pieces are traded, I'd go after Lee in NYK as a guard upgrade.

Now, granted, none of these deals are blockbuster moves but I don't really think any blockbuster moves are available considering what assets we have. We have no lotto picks or young potential all-stars (other than THJr) so other teams will be more enticing to land guys like Butler and George.

A guy on the Hawks board claims he has a source that says the Hawks were in talks for George (for THJr, Baze and picks). I don't believe that although he's been right before. He also says Lillard is available. Again, TIFWIW which is not much IMHO. I do think POR needs to trade one of he or McCollum though.
I agree with almost everything...but do you really think Tucker is an upgrade? I think Thabo is the 2nd best defender in the NBA behind Leonard. I know he has been hurt, but still. I'm curious to what you think Tucker brings over Thabo?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree with almost everything...but do you really think Tucker is an upgrade? I think Thabo is the 2nd best defender in the NBA behind Leonard. I know he has been hurt, but still. I'm curious to what you think Tucker brings over Thabo?

Tucker stays healthy for one. IMHO he's as good as Thabo defensively but bigger/stronger. That's it in a nutshell.

First of all, no one guards James well except Kawhii (somewhat) and Jimmy Butler (at times), but Tucker is a guy that can make life a little harder for him. Which is all you can ask for.

Thabo can pester James but when James makes up his mind to go through Thabo he can do so with ease. Not quite so with Tucker.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Yeah, thabo can handle LeBron on the perimeter using his wingspan and playing off. But when he posts up, it's already over. Same when Baze guards him. The only reason I would be hesitant is bc they already beat them once with Thabo starting. A perfect scenario would be we get Tucker and can keep Thabo for insurance. (trade Patterson and 2nd Lol) While trading the "$8 million dollar suit" for a quality big man back up, bc Moose is not cutting it. His shooting has come down and has never been a good defender/rebounder.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Unfortunately it's likely that Tiago Claxton would be traded along with a 1st to get one of the Denver guys I mentioned. So the big man upgrade would likely come from dangling a 1st and possible Thabo as an expiring.

I too am tired of seeing Muscala getting gentled nudged out of rebounding position time and time again.

Seems DET is also shopping all their guys including Caldwell-Pope. Now I don't want him (too inconsistent, gives you 20 one night and 2 the next, plus he's a dawg. ew) but I'd love to get Tobias Harris.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Eh, when SAS won big they had multiple HOFers plus Kawhii. BOS is a regular season tiger just like the 60-win ATL team.

I'm looking for a team that built a winner by tanking for young guys and picks. I contend that doesn't exist. SAS are the closest since they tanked for Duncan (quiet as it's kept). But that was still a vet team when Timmay arrived.
Not really. 2013 (lost in Championship) and 2014 (won) they had a past his prime Manu and past his prime Duncan. Far from elite all stars. Hell Boris Diaw was one of the most important players on the floor for them in 2014. Kawhi didn't really take off until 2 years ago but he was a solid player and a great defender. Kind of like a Bruce Bowen type when they were winning big in the early 2000's. Now some of those earlier titles they were definitely loaded plus Duncan was at an elite level.