Writer believes there's a chance Paul Johnson steps away after season?

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
So you admit what i said? How sad. Im a GT fan first and foremost.
You're delusional if you really think we can recruit well and run a pro style offense well. The last time that happened we were beating out UGA (sometimes) and Clemson for recruits. We have to recruit down in the new landscape of cfb and especially the ACC.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
You're delusional if you really think we can recruit well and run a pro style offense well. The last time that happened we were beating out UGA (sometimes) and Clemson for recruits. We have to recruit down in the new landscape of cfb and especially the ACC.
Um i don't and never said i want a pro style offense.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The low recruiting rankins are a direct cause of the offense we run. Some of you guys just can't come to that realization.

upload_2018-8-11_8-50-14.png

So, what was the "direct cause" of CCG's (largely worse) rankings? Except for one outlier good year he was overall worse than CPJ. I'd also argue that CPJ's rankings are skewed by taking underrated players (A-backs, athletes) that are valuable to his system, but don't meet a prototype for the pick-and-choose factory schools. Rankings are entirely based on the perceived quality of a player's offers. 247 isn't going out and evaluating players. If Bama, UGA and Ohio State offer you, you're a 4-5 star. If those writers actually knew how to evaluate talent, they'd be working at Bama making much more money.

Ok, "we can have other coaches" besides those two... Who is the coach that: doesn't run the 3O, is available; will come to GT; can raise our recruiting rankings significantly; coach those recruits well enough to beat Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT; coach the game well enough to beat Clemson, UGA, Miami and VT; we can afford; will stay more than a few years; keep our APR on track; not get us NCAA sanctions; and win bigger than CPJ (ACC championship and Orange Bowl victory)?

Name a legit name and I'll get behind changing coaches. I can't think of anyone.

James Franklin gets a lot of press for being a "great recruiter" and good coach. The 4 years before he got to Vandy their average class ranking was 66, he elevated it to 43, after he left it's been ~50. So, maybe, if we got a coach whose best skill was recruiting, we could move up 10-15 spots on average, with the occasional better class. Have us around 35th in recruiting, that's still never going to be enough to out-talent Clemson, UGA and Miami... IMHO, we have to do something different than the competition if we want to win.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you prove this? I have VERY high doubts about that.
I do know that in years before CPJ we were at least on the list or being considered by 6 to 10 of the states top 50. It is not that way now and we are competing with the likes of MTSU, Furman , Wake and Vandy for recruits, not good

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I do know that in years before CPJ we were at least on the list or being considered by 6 to 10 of the states top 50. It is not that way now and we are competing with the likes of MTSU, Furman , Wake and Vandy for recruits, not good

That is such bulls**t, go and look at the offer lists for Tech recruits over the last 3-4 years. You'll see that the likes of MTSU and Furman, rarely if ever appear as schools that are under any consideration. Wake and Vandy perhaps a bit more considered but even these are lower level choices for the vast majority of the players currently on the roster and committed for the '19 class. I get so tired of reading this kind of misinformation when it takes little effort to post accurate information but that doesn't appear to fit some folks agenda.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
That is such bulls**t, go and look at the offer lists for Tech recruits over the last 3-4 years. You'll see that the likes of MTSU and Furman, rarely if ever appear as schools that are under any consideration. Wake and Vandy perhaps a bit more considered but even these are lower level choices for the vast majority of the players currently on the roster and committed for the '19 class. I get so tired of reading this kind of misinformation when it takes little effort to post accurate information but that doesn't appear to fit some folks agenda.
Maybe cpj will quit or retire and maybe GT will go after someone like say LANE KIFFIN !

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
You either want to win or you don’t!
You really think he could win at GT? I like Lane ok (mostly because he trash talks Bama), but nothing indicates that he could work at GT. He got UT to 8-4 (I think that was it without looking), then jetted to USC where he was fired. Did very well at Bama, then left to coach at FAU, where he recruited the P5 leftovers and rejects like a JUCO would. No way he gets those cats in to GT and I am not convinced he can win without superior talent. Maybe he can, maybe he can't - I don't see it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You really think he could win at GT? I like Lane ok (mostly because he trash talks Bama), but nothing indicates that he could work at GT. He got UT to 8-4 (I think that was it without looking), then jetted to USC where he was fired. Did very well at Bama, then left to coach at FAU, where he recruited the P5 leftovers and rejects like a JUCO would. No way he gets those cats in to GT and I am not convinced he can win without superior talent. Maybe he can, maybe he can't - I don't see it.

He was 7-6 at UT. Has one good year at USC but otherwise mediocre. Dunno how he would do here. A noisy 6-6 would be my guess.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well he didn't at self recruiting power house USC West.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Seeing all these arguments that never seem to come to an end is exhausting. Let’s make it simple.

I love CPJ and the TO...when it’s working. But when it isn’t and not doing much of anything *cough Clemson cough* then I can’t stand it.

I like CPJ and the TO when we win. When we have down years im just as frustrated as everyone else and ready for CPJ to go. Sometimes his playcalling is killer. Sometimes it’s uhhhh, wtf was that?

I probably get too emotional and invested in the game, resulting in my knee jerk reaction. But the bottom line is CPJ has gotten us better seasons and far bigger wins than dumb Chan Gailey. Granted, we’ve had lower lows with CPJ and I get that’s all people wanna focus on.

But what were some of y’all thinking when Chan was hovering around 7 win seasons. When couldn’t beat uga. When he never won an ACC championship. Never beat FSU in regular season. Were y’all complaining then? I just don’t get it. If we have another stink season then yes, I’m probably ready for CPJ to go. But if we’re competing for the coastal, hit 9+ wins and beat a few rivals then I’m good to go.

We have a big receiver starting this year. A running back who hit 1000 yards last year, a qb who has a lot to improve on this year, a new fiery defense, and new unis. That should be enough to get anyone excited about football no matter what offense is being executed.

Cheer up guys, we have like 3 weeks. Just chill, dudes.

slugboy

Staff member
View attachment 3915

So, what was the "direct cause" of CCG's (largely worse) rankings? Except for one outlier good year he was overall worse than CPJ. I'd also argue that CPJ's rankings are skewed by taking underrated players (A-backs, athletes) that are valuable to his system, but don't meet a prototype for the pick-and-choose factory schools. Rankings are entirely based on the perceived quality of a player's offers. 247 isn't going out and evaluating players. ...

James Franklin gets a lot of press for being a "great recruiter" and good coach. The 4 years before he got to Vandy their average class ranking was 66, he elevated it to 43, after he left it's been ~50. So, maybe, if we got a coach whose best skill was recruiting, we could move up 10-15 spots on average, with the occasional better class. Have us around 35th in recruiting, that's still never going to be enough to out-talent Clemson, UGA and Miami... IMHO, we have to do something different than the competition if we want to win.

Nice chart. Would be nice to go back into the 90s, but I think those numbers are harder to pull. I think O’Leary would have had a better average than either.

Gailey put some talented recruiters on his staff (like Smith), and it paid off. Over the last few years, it seems like we’ve put more emphasis there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Nice chart. Would be nice to go back into the 90s, but I think those numbers are harder to pull. I think O’Leary would have had a better average than either.

Gailey put some talented recruiters on his staff (like Smith), and it paid off. Over the last few years, it seems like we’ve put more emphasis there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to figure recruiting rankings pre-2000 or so. There wasnt as much thought put into it because there was no money in it.