1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Writer believes there's a chance Paul Johnson steps away after season?

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by BleedingGold, Aug 9, 2018.

1. BleedingGold

BleedingGold Ramblin' Wreck

Browsing from Yahoo this morning and on the front page was an article regarding college coaches on the hot seat to begin the season. Always fun to read through those. it goes by conference, and starts with Power Five so the ACC was first. Pete Thamel, the writer of the article mentioned Larry Fedora and after that in his "Worth Mentioning" follow up, he said "There’s a chance Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson, who turns 61 this month, steps away at the end of the season." Have I missed something, or did Mr. Thamel actually get a credible source to make this statement?

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...tential-hirings-firings-season-000008676.html

2. AlabamaBuzz

AlabamaBuzz Helluva Engineer

I do think Paul would probably enjoy golfing and family in retirement, but he also is really enjoying the work Todd is doing for GT football and athletics, so unless he is "pushed out", I would be very surprised if he left before age 65.

3. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

Sounds like he's predicting a nc this year.

4. TampaGT

TampaGT Helluva Engineer

Fake news!!! I don’t see CPJ stepping down now the TS is the AD. Now that CPJ has some of the things he has been asking for quite some time, I can’t see him walking away. If anything I think all the improvements (locker room, recruiting staff) would be motivation for him to stay longer just to see what happens when both hands aren’t tied behind his back.

5. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

I agree, CPJ is finally getting the support he's always wanted from the admin, why would he step away now?

6. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

Tennessee just hired Jeremy Pruitt, so...

...wait, too soon?

7. BleedingGold

BleedingGold Ramblin' Wreck

Agree with all of you. Don't think Mr. Thamel did too much research on the topic. Sixty-one isn't that old for a college coach these days and along with the money that is finally going into the program, he just signed a extension through 2022 in April.

8. RamblinWreck92

RamblinWreck92 Banned

I think CPJ wants to see his CNW hire through - i.e. give the guy a few years to see if he can give CPJ the D he needs. I don't think CPJ will leave (barring complete disaster) for a few more years, minimum. 61 ain't that old.

Essobee, Nook Su Kow and vamosjackets like this.
  9. grandpa jacket

grandpa jacket Helluva Engineer

I do not believe he will leave, he may be pushed out

TheSilasSonRising likes this.
  10. Andewa

Andewa Helluva Engineer

CPJ has repeatedly stated that he will coach until it isn't fun anymore. When he reported to fall camp, he talked about how everything was still fun.

Voltaire??, Oakland, Adadu and 2 others like this.
  11. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Exactly. He said if he wasn't having fun anymore, he would step down. So this article was pure premature speculation based on nothing. I think the bottom line buried lede in the story is that the ACC is the premier academic and athletics conference in the country. As you will read in that article, half the SEC coaching positions turned over last year. We have an incredibly stable coaching staff in the ACC - it almost felt like since he had nothing to write about in the ACC, he had to figure out how to come up with at least 1 name somewhere.

12. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

He will stay and I hope he does

Oakland, GTRX7, ramblinjacket and 7 others like this.
  13. tech_wreck47

tech_wreck47 Helluva Engineer

I looks like he’s just using CPJ’s age as and excuse for that. I wonder if he knows CPJ just signed an extension, you don’t don’t that with plans to retire imo.

Voltaire?? and GTdragons like this.
  14. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Not even going to read the article... Why would he leave when "support" has finally come and starting to take place.

Besides, he probably wants at least 3 or 4 years worth of Adidas coaching swag.

15. MikeJackets1967

MikeJackets1967 Helluva Engineer

I believe Paul Johnson steps away or gets fired if GT has a losing record in 2018. If GT does how i expect them to do this season and win 8-9 games he will be around to probably 2021 and then retire.

GTNavyNuke likes this.
  16. TechCubed

TechCubed Helluva Engineer

I saw a stat where the average age of coaching hires in last few years was in low 40s. With that trend, the writer is probably projecting that anyone north of 55 is an endangered species. IMO, a place like GT is better suited for a wily veteran rather than a younger guy getting his first coaching job.

17. Cam

Cam Helluva Engineer

CPJ did mention a couple years ago that he'd probably retire around 60 or 61. However, given the new shot of life that Stansbury has given the football program (and Georgia Tech athletics as a whole), I do not see him retiring now. I think he's here until 2020 at a minimum. It's at that point when negotiations for an extension will come up and he (and Todd) can make a decision.

GTdragons likes this.
  18. Buzztheirazz

Buzztheirazz Helluva Engineer

Agree with this as well. I am hoping he starts a run like Beamer had in the mid 90’s through the 00’s. No less than 8 wins a year and the occasional run at the championship. That would keep Home here another 6-8 years is my guess. If the recruiting and winning doesn’t get better than I can see him moving along, on his own or by being pushed out.

GTdragons and MikeJackets1967 like this.
  19. g0lftime

g0lftime Helluva Engineer

I think PJ enjoys making a difference in his players lives. He seems to recruit high character players and wants to make them successful in life. I think that is what keeps him going.

gtg970g, brian22, GTdragons and 2 others like this.
  20. cuttysark

cuttysark Helluva Engineer

CPJ probably would have hanged himself by now if "Bobinski" was still the AD! I see a great partnership with Todd as the AD moving forward that will last for several more years.

Voltaire??, coldbeer, Oakland and 4 others like this.