Writer believes there's a chance Paul Johnson steps away after season?

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Browsing from Yahoo this morning and on the front page was an article regarding college coaches on the hot seat to begin the season. Always fun to read through those. it goes by conference, and starts with Power Five so the ACC was first. Pete Thamel, the writer of the article mentioned Larry Fedora and after that in his "Worth Mentioning" follow up, he said "There’s a chance Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson, who turns 61 this month, steps away at the end of the season." Have I missed something, or did Mr. Thamel actually get a credible source to make this statement?

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...tential-hirings-firings-season-000008676.html

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Fake news!!! I don’t see CPJ stepping down now the TS is the AD. Now that CPJ has some of the things he has been asking for quite some time, I can’t see him walking away. If anything I think all the improvements (locker room, recruiting staff) would be motivation for him to stay longer just to see what happens when both hands aren’t tied behind his back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Fake news!!! I don’t see CPJ stepping down now the TS is the AD. Now that CPJ has some of the things he has been asking for quite some time, I can’t see him walking away. If anything I think all the improvements (locker room, recruiting staff) would be motivation for him to stay longer just to see what happens when both hands aren’t tied behind his back.
I agree, CPJ is finally getting the support he's always wanted from the admin, why would he step away now?

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with all of you. Don't think Mr. Thamel did too much research on the topic. Sixty-one isn't that old for a college coach these days and along with the money that is finally going into the program, he just signed a extension through 2022 in April.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Browsing from Yahoo this morning and on the front page was an article regarding college coaches on the hot seat to begin the season. Always fun to read through those. it goes by conference, and starts with Power Five so the ACC was first. Pete Thamel, the writer of the article mentioned Larry Fedora and after that in his "Worth Mentioning" follow up, he said "There’s a chance Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson, who turns 61 this month, steps away at the end of the season." Have I missed something, or did Mr. Thamel actually get a credible source to make this statement?

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...tential-hirings-firings-season-000008676.html
I do not believe he will leave, he may be pushed out

Deleted member 2897

CPJ has repeatedly stated that he will coach until it isn't fun anymore. When he reported to fall camp, he talked about how everything was still fun.

Exactly. He said if he wasn't having fun anymore, he would step down. So this article was pure premature speculation based on nothing. I think the bottom line buried lede in the story is that the ACC is the premier academic and athletics conference in the country. As you will read in that article, half the SEC coaching positions turned over last year. We have an incredibly stable coaching staff in the ACC - it almost felt like since he had nothing to write about in the ACC, he had to figure out how to come up with at least 1 name somewhere.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I looks like he’s just using CPJ’s age as and excuse for that. I wonder if he knows CPJ just signed an extension, you don’t don’t that with plans to retire imo.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I saw a stat where the average age of coaching hires in last few years was in low 40s. With that trend, the writer is probably projecting that anyone north of 55 is an endangered species. IMO, a place like GT is better suited for a wily veteran rather than a younger guy getting his first coaching job.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
CPJ did mention a couple years ago that he'd probably retire around 60 or 61. However, given the new shot of life that Stansbury has given the football program (and Georgia Tech athletics as a whole), I do not see him retiring now. I think he's here until 2020 at a minimum. It's at that point when negotiations for an extension will come up and he (and Todd) can make a decision.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
CPJ did mention a couple years ago that he'd probably retire around 60 or 61. However, given the new shot of life that Stansbury has given the football program (and Georgia Tech athletics as a whole), I do not see him retiring now. I think he's here until 2020 at a minimum. It's at that point when negotiations for an extension will come up and he (and Todd) can make a decision.
Agree with this as well. I am hoping he starts a run like Beamer had in the mid 90’s through the 00’s. No less than 8 wins a year and the occasional run at the championship. That would keep Home here another 6-8 years is my guess. If the recruiting and winning doesn’t get better than I can see him moving along, on his own or by being pushed out.