Writer believes there's a chance Paul Johnson steps away after season?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There is very little reason Johnson would walk away. We've missed a bowl game twice in the last three year and his seat isn't the least bit hot, and he has an AD that is publicly making excuses for him. Everything is set up for people to take the "we have to wait before the changes have an impact" argument even if we miss another bowl game. He's at a place where he can skate off of one great year for about 6 years. Why would he walk away from that?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we win more than 4 games this year, CPJ will be back in 2019.
AND YES
If less than 4 wins , the new guy will not run the option.
BUT THE CHANCE OF 4 WIN SEASON = 0.1%.
IMO
Coach has a point to prove. He wants the option to be shown as more than a band aid for service academies and gt who cant get top athletes. As gt has added a little staff and facilities, he has a chance to show that.
ONLY If we regularly have dominant games ( circa 2014 ncst then the run ) with a defense as well as an offense will his offense finally be widely praised .

I look forward to him happily coaching many more years at gt.

This year best case is 7 and 5 w 3 heart break losses and 4 big score wins. THEN A BOWL GAME!

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Ummmm you do realize we are allowed to have other coaches other than Gailey amd Johnson right? I never said one thing about Gailey
No I never noticed! C'mon dude, the ACC has changed tremendously since the 1990's or for that matter at any other time when we ran a pro style offense. You legitimately think we could consistently get the guys that are needed to execute an offense like that effectively now? I certainly don't. I can only imagine the *** whoopings of having to actually deal with the likes of Clemson and UGA every year head on, talent against talent. Just look at our recruiting rankings and records over the past 18-20 years then talk to me. What do you suggest we do instead of run the option?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ goes 9-3, beats georgie, and wins the bowl game to finish in the top 10, the same people will still complain about the ACC games we lost.
Ha. Yeah. Was going to previous post and say we are MUCH more likely to go 9-3 with this group than 3-9.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Did you forget about what chan gailey won? Oh that’s right, nothing! We need this offense to stay competitive in the new ACC, if you think otherwise you have a very selective memory of how pro style offenses have done here after bobby ross and o leary, even with one of the greatest recievers of all time. I’d much rather have another PJ opposed to another B*** L**** or Gailey
The next coach we hire won’t be Chan Gailey. How many 3 win seasons did Chan have? How many bowl games did he miss? The Acc is better now but we are worse, if Tech hires another triple option head coach it will show not only the fans but the whole country that mediocrity has been accepted. I love Paul Johnson but I will never support the hire of ANOTHER Spread Option coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And the guys who think W-L are determined only by offense show up as on cue. LOL

If you're going to make ignorant posts, root for an SEC team

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You may well be right simply as the east will be tougher this year but they have a damn good QB and we know what kind of D Mason can put together.
In something completely unrelated but Tech fans will shout agreement in unison, apparently there was a lot of talk at the ACC get-together and confidential polls and whatnot,and the judgment on Mark Richt at Miami was a puzzled, "Apparently he thinks his players are better than your players so we'll just let 'em play." I guess the ACC has discovered the hole in Richt's swing: he can't game coach.