Writer believes there's a chance Paul Johnson steps away after season?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
So all you fans that want to see PJ hang around as coach and run the TO, you have to consider the "what if". What if he goes 6&6 or 7&5 for the next 2-3 seasons with no bowl invites?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
So all you fans that want to see PJ hang around as coach and run the TO, you have to consider the "what if". What if he goes 6&6 or 7&5 for the next 2-3 seasons with no bowl invites?
They'd still want him around. A lot of those people like CPJ and his system more than GT

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
No I never noticed! C'mon dude, the ACC has changed tremendously since the 1990's or for that matter at any other time when we ran a pro style offense. You legitimately think we could consistently get the guys that are needed to execute an offense like that effectively now? I certainly don't. I can only imagine the *** whoopings of having to actually deal with the likes of Clemson and UGA every year head on, talent against talent. Just look at our recruiting rankings and records over the past 18-20 years then talk to me. What do you suggest we do instead of run the option?
The low recruiting rankins are a direct cause of the offense we run. Some of you guys just can't come to that realization.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The low recruiting rankins are a direct cause of the offense we run. Some of you guys just can't come to that realization.

Did you mean to say result instead of cause? Because I think you accidentally said something correct. The recruiting rankings over the past 20 years dont back up the idea that the TO hurts us in recruiting. They just simply don't. We have a natural disadvantage with academics and curriculum and we fell way behind in the money/facilities/swag race under a do nothing AD.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
UGA and Clemson, as well as many other schools who now recruit Georgia, say, please hire another 3O coach when CPJ does retire.

Georgia can say anything they want. We're going for 3IAR Sanford Stadium wins this year.

Clemson? CPJ has engineered 5 wins against 6 losses to them since he's been here, including their last few years on the throne. Hardly a record to hang our heads about.

But since you mention it, no, we're not going to out-recruit a couple of football factories ranked #2 and #4 no matter who our coach is and what offense he runs. But we might out-coach them, and we might beat them.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Nah, we get it. What you don't seem to get is the fact that our offense can excel with the smaller, faster kids that don't necessarily garner all the recruiting bling and attention. We still have a very efficient and effective offense with the kids we bring in.

It's also not lost on us that if we were able to bring in the top 4* and 5* talent that we'd be untouchable; but, we've never been able to bring in that top 4* and 5* talent on any type of consistent/regular basis in our history (actually, we've never landed a 5* player. CJ was re-rated a 5* player after he was here. Our closest was too young to defy his mother). What makes you think ANYONE or any offense is going to attract that type of talent regularly and consistently to GT?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
But since you mention it, no, we're not going to out-recruit a couple of football factories ranked #2 and #4 no matter who our coach is and what offense he runs. But we might out-coach them, and we might beat them.

Probably true. But wouldn’t it be sweet if we did out-recruit them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Probably true. But wouldn’t it be sweet if we did out-recruit them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well of course. But realistically the chances of out-recruiting these schools in our back yard are slim. Nine of the last ten national champs are in states bordering Georgia. Our best shot at ramping up our recruitment IMO is to further increase the recruiting budget, recruit more nationally, and find and target athletically talented smart kids with a bent toward science, technology, engineering, and math, and put to use in a positive way the fact that GT is the only top 25 STEM school in a power 5 conference.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
They'd still want him around. A lot of those people like CPJ and his system more than GT
And I’m convinced that some people, you may or may not be one, would rather watch us lose just so they can anonymously post on message boards about how smart and right they are. They’re dislike of PJ and/or his system runs deeper than they’re enjoyment of watching us win on Saturdays in the fall.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
And I’m convinced that some people, you may or may not be one, would rather watch us lose just so they can anonymously post on message boards about how smart and right they are. They’re dislike of PJ and/or his system runs deeper than they’re enjoyment of watching us win on Saturdays in the fall.
So you admit what i said? How sad. Im a GT fan first and foremost.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Where did I admit anything in my response? Where did I defend PJ or his O? I’m a GT fan. I was long before PJ and I’ll be one long after. I just want to see us win. How we do that and what offense we run, means little to me.
Same here

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
And have some people considered the “what if” he goes 10-2 or 9-3? Some people who hate CPJ more than they like GT would still say he needs to go ‘cause he didn’t go 12-0. I don’t play the “what if” game pre-season. After all, if “if’s” were touchdowns, U(six)GA would be national champion year in and year out.