Wofford - Tonight (12/6)

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably 7-1 or 8-0 with JO for every game. Those are the breaks. Think he'd mitigate the lazy plays that sometimes plague this team. Too many unforced turnovers. Keep building in the right direction. We traded a bunch of seniors for a bunch of a freshmen and the learning curve that comes with it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Really don't think with Okogie back at this point that the season is going to be much better...just seems like this team is snake bitten

Okogie scored about a quarter of our points last year. There's no way his loss isn't a significant impact. We currently have Alston playing 26 mpg. He had a couple of nice games early but it's pretty clear he doesn't provide us much. Replace his minutes with Okogie and we are a lot better. The issue is that last year somewhat made us forget how little talent was actually left. We're feeling that effect as we have very little quality depth so injuries hurt us even more.

Anyways, it's time to step back and re-evaluate where we are as a program. We knew when we hired Pastner that the cupboard was bare and we had no momentum. I thought we would use last year to accelerate the time table, but it's clear we are still a couple of quality recruiting classes away from having the type of program we want. This year, if we can get back healthy and can stay healthy we can still make some things happen. But we desperately need more depth than we have and need time for the young guys to mature.

GT_EE78

Banned
really think the pasture contact extension was a bad idea.our AA learned nothing from the gaily and hewitt screwups. If there were rankings its hard to see that our AA would be in the RPI top rpi 350 of division 1....

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Okogie scored about a quarter of our points last year. There's no way his loss isn't a significant impact. We currently have Alston playing 26 mpg. He had a couple of nice games early but it's pretty clear he doesn't provide us much. Replace his minutes with Okogie and we are a lot better. The issue is that last year somewhat made us forget how little talent was actually left. We're feeling that effect as we have very little quality depth so injuries hurt us even more.

Anyways, it's time to step back and re-evaluate where we are as a program. We knew when we hired Pastner that the cupboard was bare and we had no momentum. I thought we would use last year to accelerate the time table, but it's clear we are still a couple of quality recruiting classes away from having the type of program we want. This year, if we can get back healthy and can stay healthy we can still make some things happen. But we desperately need more depth than we have and need time for the young guys to mature.
If you read my post with "Okogie back at this point"...we will be ACC play by the time he gets back...going to be hard to salvage this season

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...and now it's time to panic. Man, this is a tough way to start the season. 2017 has been the worst sports year in a long time...might as well bet the farm that Georgia is going to win the CFP...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you read my post with "Okogie back at this point"...we will be ACC play by the time he gets back...going to be hard to salvage this season

Depends on what you expect from the season. If you're expectations for the season revolved around making the NCAAT then you were likely going to end disappointing anyways. Last year we weren't close to making the NCAAT and that was with a lot of things going our way that were out of our control. Now we are taking that team, adding a solid but not phenomenal recruiting class, and are likely starting two freshmen and having a third be a primary back up. That's not a recipe for an NCAAT bid in the ACC. Instead, I look at this year as wanting to see a solid core being built that sets the stage for future years. And with Jose, Haywood, and Wright I'm seeing that along with Okogie and a solid recruiting class I think we have that. I want to see how the team plays once fully healthy. If we go 10-8 in ACC play and are left out of the dance because we lost some games without Okogie then I'm fine. Even if we go something like 7-11 but play well then I'll be happy with the direction of the program. When we fired gregory I had no expectation for being anywhere near good until the end of year 3. We had too little returning talent and too little momentum as a program to warrant it. Even with the recent disappointments, we're still ahead of where I thought we'd be a when we got rid of the last coach.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's my biggest frustration, and it's made worse cause it feels like I watch the same show at GT regardless of the sport: our coaching decisions in games lately just sucks.

How many games does Haywood have to CLEARLY be our best shooter and be gun-shy before CJP realizes he needs to encourage the kid to pull the trigger? We are wasting a valuable asset there. He should be taking every one of ADs shots. Haywood catches passes 5-10 times a game and looks at the basket, and I'm thinking SWISH THATS MONEY WAIT WHY ARE YOU HESISTATING and he passes it.

Which goes hand in hand to my next point: how much does AD have to be a black freaking hole on offense before coach puts a leash on him and says don't you dare shoot anything outside 8 feet???

I mean I definitely know WAY more about football coaching than basketball. And I don't know a dang thing about football. But when I watch us do stupid things over and over it's exasperating. Like Cuse begging for a press against Grambling. Or me turning this game off because I'm like dude they want to have Magee shoot it and we look clueless about how to stop 1 guy.

I'm frustrated not because of our W/L record, I'm frustrated because we look bad. We don't look well coached. And I thought that was the whole point of bringing in Pastner. I'm not off the Pastner bandwagon but he's doing me a fierce concern with his poor in game coaching.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Way too much over-reaction by some in this thread. The program's direction is not necessarily changed. We just were EXTREMELY thin going into this year, and then we have effectively lost 2 of our best players......let's wait and see how this season develops. I have my criticisms (already stated them) but I am not yet ready to start throwing this coaching staff under the bus!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not gonna lie -- I feel like I kinda swindled myself into thinking we would do decently without Okogie, but that's clearly not the case. This is such a Brian Gregory basketball team w/o Okogie.

You have the couple guys who can score occasionally (MGH, Adam Smith) and everyone else is just useless offensively. You'll never win a close game because you have no playmaker and you'll blow a lot of leads down the stretch.

Fwiw, Okogie was a CBG commit.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Which goes hand in hand to my next point: how much does AD have to be a black freaking hole on offense before coach puts a leash on him and says don't you dare shoot anything outside 8 feet???

Gueye was 1-2 today. He was 2-3 against UT. He attempted just 2 shots against Grambling.

Gueye has his faults but people are starting to put far too much of what is happening on him.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me start with I am the anti-expert on most things basketball, but I have stalked this forum for a while now. I had my hopes up this year, because I felt we were ahead of the curve last year, and I liked the class that just came in. Then the suspensions (on the coattails of the UNC no call), the freak infection, and losing in really bad fashion to what seem to be bad to average teams all combine to crush my fledgling dreams of staying ahead of schedule.

But I still have faith in "the process" even though our margins for error are even more razor thin. There is a new energy around the program that I haven't seen since the Cremins days. I do think our coaches are capable of coaching up our players and keeping the focus in spite of all of the above garbage. I REALLY like the class that is coming next and I am hopeful for the one that follows that. Give it some time. And, who knows, this year is not over yet.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tad...oh man. On one play, he dribbles into a triple team under the basket. Instead of going straight up to the basket, he actually tries to pump fake 3 defenders, which only gives all 3 defenders time to collapse even closer and enclose him. Result? They tie him up and Wofford gets the ball due to possession arrow. Of course, he follows it up by hitting the game tying 3. If that sequence doesn't sum up Tad, I don't know what does.

This team makes WAY too many lazy passes that gets intercepted, or bad passes that put their teammates into a bad spots. If it doesn't get cleaned up, the ACC schedule is going to absolutely embarrass us with those mistakes.

Someone needs to explain to me how our best shooter, CGB, only has 1 FG attempt in 30 minutes (which he made). That's just not right.

Alvarado with 2 assists against 4 TOs. When your best PG has a night like that it's gonna be hard to win against any team.

Credit to Magee for lighting up our horrendous D, but there's no way he should have gone off for 36 points. Jeez. Everyone knew who option 1-5 for Wofford was, but he still ate our lunch.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Questioning Pastner at this part of year 2, way overreaction. He was, I believe, 23-0 when leading at the 5 minutes to-go mark. 23-1 now. Just lost 3 in a row, quite a run without b2b2b losses.

I agree with previous post, we’re 8-0 with full healthy roster. However, no asterisks. Every team has adversity. Let’s assess after run at full healthy roster. Okogie will definitely change our entire spacing and movement without ball. I am DEFINITELY frustrated, but not abandoning. I think our luck due for major change. Been a cruel season so far.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am frustrated but some of you guys make me look like a well adjusted fan emotionally

Questioning the contract extension? Really? The man just won coach of the year and beat 3 top 10 teams at home last year.

I didn’t think the defense was that terrible last night. There is only so much you can do when the kid is just turning and chucking it falling away from 25 feet. Let’s also not act like he is some *******, that kid has been doing that for 3 years. I’m pretty sure he played well his freshman year against us as well. He is a career 46% shooter from deep on 517 attempts.

We are not running the same high post offense that has been successful for us is the problem I see.

ETA: He has not played well against us in the past but he is a good player

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"Wait, there was a game last night?" - GT Basketball

Seriously though, I'm not even paying much attention to us/how we play until Josh'nKobe returns.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
"Wait, there was a game last night?" - GT Basketball

Seriously though, I'm not even paying much attention to us/how we play until Josh'nKobe returns.
Maybe the smartest man on this board. (Note: I said “maybe”, don’t go gettin’ a big head!)