Wofford - Tonight (12/6)

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this for real? While I appreciate his desire for academics, isn't he on an athletic scholarship??? Welcome to college! Learn to juggle a few things at once...it's going to happen the rest of your life.
Lmao BRUH. Are YOU for real? I don't know what Moore's major is, but if he's doing anything like ME/AE then I completely understand.

In fact, as an ME at a school other than GT, it blows my mind anyone can take a full load and pass classes at GT, ON TOP OF doing literally anything else. I can imagine struggling academically if all I did was try to play intramural basketball, much less D1. My finals were a week earlier than GTs, and I started studying and living at the computer lab before thanksgiving, I went home to sleep and change clothes.

Justin may be really needing to do well on his final in order to pass, or he may just need the extra time to study like he wants to in order to be ready for finals. Regardless, good for him for being willing to put in the work and good for CJP for letting him.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Little analysis? Can you not notice the change in GT's game play ever since his suspension. Can you not notice the lack of motion in the offense. The simplistic play calling from the offensive end? May I suggest you go back and watch some film?
You know there's no OC in basketball, right? It's not like D Lab was 'calling the plays' and now that he's gone the play calling duties have been turned over to Pastner. We don't run a ton of complex sets offensively anyway - I'm not downplaying D Lab's role, I'm just saying that blaming the lack of motion offensively on his absence is kind of ridiculous.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You know there's no OC in basketball, right? It's not like D Lab was 'calling the plays' and now that he's gone the play calling duties have been turned over to Pastner. We don't run a ton of complex sets offensively anyway - I'm not downplaying D Lab's role, I'm just saying that blaming the lack of motion offensively on his absence is kind of ridiculous.

It is not "kind of" ridiculous - it is ridiculous. But he is on a roll. Germans are bombing Pearl Harbor.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Agree with this. I get the impression DLabs presence (or lack there of) is felt more in the motivational/confidence side. He seems to have a knack to relate with these kids and coach them up a bit. There is no denying CJP is a little “different” personality wise, CDL no doubt knows what buttons to push to motivate some of these kids

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
Little analysis? Can you not notice the change in GT's game play ever since his suspension. Can you not notice the lack of motion in the offense. The simplistic play calling from the offensive end? May I suggest you go back and watch some film?

Analysis is what people like @RamblinRed provide .... looking at talent/skills, analyzing different phases of the game, impact of players not being available, etc. What you're providing is an emotional response to a poor start to the season. I'll just point out that we had DLab at the beginning of last year, and it also started poorly. It took us OT to beat Shorter, we lost to Ohio (a mid-major), Penn State (average team), got blown out by TN and barely beat Wofford on our home court. I simply reject your DLab cause and effect hypothesis as little more than speculation, and honestly it is a Ron type argument. Pastner successes are due to Ron, DLab, etc. ... anyone but him. My main concern with DLab being out for an extended period of time centers around our recruiting, and how his absence could negatively impact that.

Lack of execution and poor shoot selection can be explained easily by lack of experience both playing with fellow teammates and being on the college level for the first time. If players aren't executing properly, a coach often simplifies things. The motion appears to be inconsistent to me ... maybe fatigue, confusion, etc. explains why it seems to fall off late. In any case, what Pastner shared from day 1 of this season: 1) We have more talent and less experience, so there will be mistakes and growing pains; 2) Every game will be a challenge, we have zero margin of error; 3) We have limited offensive skills, so will have to win on the defensive end; and 4) as players gain experience, we'll get better. Throw in the suspensions/injuries and this poor start shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you can read it any other way. Not going to a game to stay home and study only happens if you are really at risk
And this almost only happens at a school like Tech, or to say what I really mean, this situation would never arise at a UNC or Louisville (and many others). Recognizing the differences between Tech and everyone else makes the highs higher and the lows less depressing.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Lmao BRUH. Are YOU for real? I don't know what Moore's major is, but if he's doing anything like ME/AE then I completely understand.

In fact, as an ME at a school other than GT, it blows my mind anyone can take a full load and pass classes at GT, ON TOP OF doing literally anything else. I can imagine struggling academically if all I did was try to play intramural basketball, much less D1. My finals were a week earlier than GTs, and I started studying and living at the computer lab before thanksgiving, I went home to sleep and change clothes.

Justin may be really needing to do well on his final in order to pass, or he may just need the extra time to study like he wants to in order to be ready for finals. Regardless, good for him for being willing to put in the work and good for CJP for letting him.
That’s my bad! I just never hear of other teams having players miss games to study for finals. I was under the impression that they took and did their work on their trips. Didn’t mean to throw athletics above academics. Just meant that I thought these guys had to learn to juggle it all.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
Hi, board. I'm going to ramble as means of introduction.

(Another) Frustrating loss, but I feel quite a bit better about the program now than I did 14 months ago. Last season featured unusually strong and unexpected development from Okogie, as well as significant in-game luck. This year, while we've had suspensions and injuries and on and on - Alvarado has panned out and Haywood is already the all-purpose wing (and, thank God, a credible secondary playmaker who's a legitimate three point threat) I hoped he'd be. The record is disappointing, but we've been a bit unlucky, on the whole - witness the own goal versus Grambling and the well defended late game heave by Wofford.
Obviously, we need JO back and Lammers healthy for a return to the postseason.

We have a real shortage of ACC players. Lammers is excellent, as is Okogie. Alvarado and Haywood already look like legitimate rotation guys as three star freshmen, impressive. Tadric is a fine sixth man (clearly, look at last year!), where his strength and lefty power moves can get him buckets against reserve defenders. He's a bit stretched in his current role with us, given his lack of shooting and questionable decision making with the ball (where Alvarado needs a little help from time to time).

Beyond them, I'm not sure that anyone on the roster should be playing more than stray minutes in specialized roles (sadly, we will have to go beyond this as we play 5-on-5):
- Gueye is an able defender, as well as a surprisingly good passer. He's also terrible at scoring, in the post, from outside, or via drives, and teams will continue to exploit this. He also isn't helping with our issues on the boards, being slow to start for the ball and not boxing out as well as I'd like.
- Increased minutes for Wright likely helps here, as his wingspan and energy can secure loose balls. He also doesn't look like he understands where to be on the court yet and I don't trust his decision making at all.
- Cole gives me a Christian Matthews vibe, as a combo forward who doesn't defend well enough to spend a lot of time on the court. Haven't seen enough of him to form a strong opinion, but he's looked better (to me) than his stats indicate.
- How healthy is Ogbonda? If he is, I'd like to see him pick up a few minutes to rest Ben. Tired Lammers >>>>> Ogbonda, but we are playing with fire here -- even aside from Big Ben's ankle.
- Alston wasn't a particularly good backup at Lehigh. He's now in the ACC. That he's our best wing option off the bench is terrifying.
- Justin Moore can defend fairly well and that is absolutely it. I guess he's a destitute man's Mario West?
- Who knows with the walk-ons?

I'm torn as to what we should do here. With so little depth, a slow pace (check), tight rotation (check), and playing the five best guys as much as possible makes sense - but I don't think a JO at the four lineup should be used that often, particularly as we don't have the shooting to stretch the floor anyway and - foul problems aside - I'd love to see Jackson on the floor whenever one of JO/Haywood/Alvarado aren't. (Tadric can't run point, but you could use a big lineup in spurts with Lammers in the high post.)
--
Side note: I'm disinclined to kvetch about play calling, but the last offensive play against the Terriers seemed very strange. Haywood making the inbound pass - with Alvarado in the backcourt? I don't know who our best fullcourt inbound passers are, but I'd've liked them to have been options to receive the ball (or be decoys) within 35 feet of the basket.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s my bad! I just never hear of other teams having players miss games to study for finals. I was under the impression that they took and did their work on their trips. Didn’t mean to throw athletics above academics. Just meant that I thought these guys had to learn to juggle it all.

they do and the team IIRC travels with an academic advisor who is supposed to help/monitor their efforts. For him to stay home I don't know any way to read it except he is in some level of academic trouble and really needs to do well on the exams. I remember that feeling all too well even from the time of the dinosaurs. I expect he needed/wanted a block of uninterrupted time with the on campus tutors that he wouldn't get on a bus trip to and from Wofford. Plus a 4 hour bus trip is not really conducive to studying

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
they do and the team IIRC travels with an academic advisor who is supposed to help/monitor their efforts. For him to stay home I don't know any way to read it except he is in some level of academic trouble and really needs to do well on the exams. I remember that feeling all too well even from the time of the dinosaurs. I expect he needed/wanted a block of uninterrupted time with the on campus tutors that he wouldn't get on a bus trip to and from Wofford. Plus a 4 hour bus trip is not really conducive to studying
This is exactly the way I read it. We keep talking about who might be leaving after this season to make room for a 4th recruit. Maybe it will be Justin. He seems to be struggling on and off the court. I hate to see guys not having fun at his age. Life gets real as you age and college is a great time to discover who you are. If all you experience is disappointment that discovery is not very pleasant. Good luck to him no matter if it's at GT or somewhere else.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
When I played ball (before electricity or running water. Long before @ChasonBaller was alive!) we took buses to every away game. No charter planes in D3. We studied on the bus rides, and it sucked. No fun at all trying to read Byron, Keats to Wordsworth on Route 2. Ditto with organic chem, econometrics, etc.

slugboy

Staff member
I can't believe you had PChem and Organic in the same quarter. Didn't your advisor say anything?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ditto. And 12 hours of labs each week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my favorite Tech screw schedule story is having TWO 3hr Mech Design classes a wk (one at 8 Sat am). And got TWO,2, thats two hrs credit for it. - also -18 hrs min every qtr ah.those were the days