Wish we could replace OL coach with???

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We just had 2 OL commits reopen their recruitment. One was a security snafu but I'm wondering if there is some smoke there.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I said this in another thread about a month ago, but we should look into poaching Alex Atkins from Georgia Southern. He was a 2014 Offensive Line Coach of the Year finalist. He has been there for two years with a similar offense. We'd be a step up in salary. According to Open Georgia, Alex Atkins made $27,666 last year. Mike Sewak made $235,625. If we decide to fire Coach Rychleski, that opens up a lot for Atkins.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Merely based upon how The Citadel's program has turned things around with an option-oriented offense -- and based on no personal knowledge whatsoever -- I'd like to see Ron Boyd, o-line coach at The Citadel, considered in the event changes are made on the Tech staff. Boyd was with HC Mike Houston as they built up a prolific offense at Div. 2 Lenoir-Rhyne, and Houston brought Boyd along to the Citadel in 2014.

http://citadelsports.com/staff.aspx?staff=8&path=football

In only the second year of this current coaching regime in Charleston, The Citadel is now 9-3 and prepping for its 2nd round FCS playoff game next weekend. As most fans know, they knocked off SC two weeks ago, and last week knocked off FBS/Sunbelt Conf-bound Coastal Carolina in CCU's final game as a FCS member.

The Citadel's offense is similar in many ways to the Tech/Navy offense, but with a few differences. It's not unusual for the Citadel's slotbacks/A-backs to line up not quite as wide as Tech's often do, and in fact The Citadel even lines up occasionally in what closely resembles an old-fashioned T formation, with the A-backs aligned more akin to old school halfbacks in the T. (Citadel HC Mike Houston has borrowed much from the CPJ/Tech/Navy offense, but he's not part of the CPJ coaching tree, neither is Boyd.)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
good luck getting them hired at the programs they previously bashed....negative recruiting happens...it's acceptable....just don't plan to work where u bashed before.....that will just be used against you later to great affect
Two points:
1: the guys he negged GT to are probably not going to be guys he'd have to try recruiting
2: wasn't there some smoke about Ted Roof bad mouthing us to recruits when he was at Auburn? Seems Johnson had no problem hiring him after that
I have no dog in this fight, just wanted to throw some points in

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Two points:
1: the guys he negged GT to are probably not going to be guys he'd have to try recruiting
2: wasn't there some smoke about Ted Roof bad mouthing us to recruits when he was at Auburn? Seems Johnson had no problem hiring him after that
I have no dog in this fight, just wanted to throw some points in

I haven't heard anything about Roof badmouthing Tech during his Tech days.

One of my points against Key is he may have to go into a high school to talk to a coach where he has run down Tech before. How can that coach take him seriously at that point? And high school coaches talk amongst themselves, so Key trying to sell Tech after years of badmouthing will get around and high school coaches may not treat him very kindly with his change of tactics.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have any evidence of him badmouthing tech? I hear it all the time but have not read any reliable information confirming that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Watched the citadel verses south carolina.
The oline way small but cut blocks are made with legs still under blocker so they get a little extra push. They actually moved the much larger dl back a yard on initial contact and then were still moving it slightly when bb hit the hole. The bb got thru for consistant gains which opened up the pit h.
We are playing much better prepared and inspired defenses, but it looks like ol hits, then flops or is shed, and then dl hits bb for no gain.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Please define what he said to bash GT
It was Gailey's first season and the game in which Wes Durham screamed out in OT, "Ball is loose". Of coarse Ball was loose running for a TD to win the game. Afterward, a group of us was walking down to meet the team and celebrate. He knew us because we always supported GOL's teams and he, Key, was on those teams. He joined in our group and just bashed the Hell out of Gailey and everything he was about. It was totally out of place for him to do that, I don't care what his private opinion was. Chan was a good person and did not deserve that. Key alienated everyone in our group, which we call The Conyers Mafia.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea who we should hire, and I don't know that we should fire anyone. Firing a man to scapegoat him reflects poorly on the boss. Similarly, keeping someone who is a problem because he's a friend reflects poorly on the boss. The only scenario in which a termination is appropriate is if a) the current person is under-performing, and b) you know who you're going to hire and that the new person will be better.

The challenge in all this is teasing out who is responsible for performance. Is it the coach, or is it the players? I dunno, but that's one of the reasons Johnson gets paid more than all the posters on this board combined. Hope he has the right answer.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It was Gailey's first season and the game in which Wes Durham screamed out in OT, "Ball is loose". Of coarse Ball was loose running for a TD to win the game. Afterward, a group of us was walking down to meet the team and celebrate. He knew us because we always supported GOL's teams and he, Key, was on those teams. He joined in our group and just bashed the Hell out of Gailey and everything he was about. It was totally out of place for him to do that, I don't care what his private opinion was. Chan was a good person and did not deserve that. Key alienated everyone in our group, which we call The Conyers Mafia.
Not to nitpick, but Ball wasn't at Tech Gailey's first year. I believe A.J. Suggs and Demarius Bilbo were the starting QBs that year.