Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nike on top. There's a hidden message there...

(That's what I'm going with...don't ruin it...)
We have less than 24 months until the switch over to something. There's no indication out there that we're staying with Russell. I don't think the GT connections are as strong as they were (given Russell is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway), I don't think they'd pay us as much as Nike, UA, etc. (payment in $$$ & gear combined), I also read somewhere that maybe they don't want to deal with college athletics any longer.

It'll continue to be a drag on us in the interim, but have faith that we're nearing the end by 2018.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have less than 24 months until the switch over to something. There's no indication out there that we're staying with Russell. I don't think the GT connections are as strong as they were (given Russell is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway), I don't think they'd pay us as much as Nike, UA, etc. (payment in $$$ & gear combined), I also read somewhere that maybe they don't want to deal with college athletics any longer.

It'll continue to be a drag on us in the interim, but have faith that we're nearing the end by 2018.

I'm just waiting for this to pop for GT:

http://www.wkow.com/story/32351863/...armour-contract-one-of-many-big-apparel-deals

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15304410/california-berkeley-armour-agree-10-year-deal

Can't tell me GT isn't going to get something comparable.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Totally agree that we should be comparable. Question is whether there's enough competition to bid us up that high or if we missed our window.

@orientalnc - have heard something similar and certainly hope you're right. Would love to get out a year or more earlier.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow

From a very reliable source. Take this for what it's worth.....

* Russell is getting out of the sports apparel business, i.e. at least college uniforms
* We've been told that we may be able to get out of our contract a year early, i.e. by next football season
* Nike's Chief Technology Officer is a Tech grad
* Kevin Plank of Under Armour literally was down to his last dollar when Georgia Tech bought a big shipment of shirts from him. That is something that is reportedly remembered by the folks at UA.
* Likely comes down to Nike and UA and hopefully new uniform supplier by next football season.

A couple of us replied that we had heard the same facts that GTLorenzo stated. It is going to happen within a year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think ultimately will will end up with Nike. Not that I'm opposed to UA but we have had a long history with them as far as footwear for both football and basketball for years. I think we've bee wearing them since shortly after Bobby Cremins became coach.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think ultimately will will end up with Nike. Not that I'm opposed to UA but we have had a long history with them as far as footwear for both football and basketball for years. I think we've bee wearing them since shortly after Bobby Cremins became coach.
Very well could but I'm delusioned into thinking UA wants us more. Nike has UGA already and we do have a good history with UA too.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Very well could but I'm delusioned into thinking UA wants us more. Nike has UGA already and we do have a good history with UA too.
Very true. I prefer Nike but we would be a big get for UA. Plus it's another major school in the SE which is mostly all Nike schools. I think Auburn and USF are the main schools down south for UA. There may be more but that's all I can think off of the top of my head.

GTFLETCH

Banned
First Russell Athletic seems to not be getting out of the college business as they just extended WKU, which will run from July 1, 2016–June 30, 2021! LINK http://www.wkusports.com/genrel/083115aaa.html

However They may not want to pay Power-5 sponsorship price as most Flagship Colleges are getting 8-10M per year.

It also appears that GT could walk away from Russell in 2018 and sign with Nike and get a deal close to what they have with Russell. For example Washington State University just signed a 10 year deal for 23M. LINK http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nikes_washington_state_contract_revealed

I do not care who we sign with as I can buy UA/NIKE/Adidas/RA GT Gear as it is, I want the most money from the deal, however I do hear all the time that by not having Nike we lose out on recruits (I do not buy it) However in 2018, if GTAA is willing to stay at the same type contract level we are currently we might be able to change to Nike! However I will be prepared to hear from all the GT fans who are upset when their UGA neighbors tell them they make double to triple more from Nike.. But with fans they always want to complain about something!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't care who we sign with as long as it is not Russell.
Using Russell absolutely hurts us in basketball recruiting.
You've had a former coach of Justin Moore openly mock GT on twitter for wearing Russell. Pastner has mentioned publicly that our deal hurts us and we are working around it as best we can.
It's part of the recruiting game and we currently aren't playing it.

if GT is UA instead of Russell the chances of landing Walker are considerably higher.
Carter transferred to MD primarily due to UA (they gave his former AAU coach a big contract and he helped get Cater to transfer)