Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Looks like with Bobblehead Bobinski heading to Purdue, the UA folks did not want to pay more than 1M per year to Tech so they got in the Atlanta market with Ga State!! Good for Georgia State they will make nearly $400,000 per year from the agreement it signed with Under Armour!

GT needs to increase its deal from 2M to 5M range, Nike will pay 1.5M much like they paid Washington State, and UA just walked away, so it is up to Adidas or RA to pay the 5M range... What is the over under we stay with RA as it appears they are the only ones to willing to pay Tech 2M plus per year. Then what is the over/under on Tech increasing the new deal to 5M per year??

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I still think UA will come hard for Tech.
Pastner is a Nike guy, our AD is coming from a Nike School. Nike is gonna push hard for an ATL market now since GSU is with Under Armor. I really see GT going with Nike. Under Armor is a step up from Russell but a step down from Nike. You guys never know, CPast might cook something up with the AD and GT will be rocking Jordan uniforms.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Looks like with Bobblehead Bobinski heading to Purdue, the UA folks did not want to pay more than 1M per year to Tech so they got in the Atlanta market with Ga State!! Good for Georgia State they will make nearly $400,000 per year from the agreement it signed with Under Armour!

GT needs to increase its deal from 2M to 5M range, Nike will pay 1.5M much like they paid Washington State, and UA just walked away, so it is up to Adidas or RA to pay the 5M range... What is the over under we stay with RA as it appears they are the only ones to willing to pay Tech 2M plus per year. Then what is the over/under on Tech increasing the new deal to 5M per year??
RA and GT have both been trying to get out of the deal. No way we sign back with RA.

GTFLETCH

Banned
RA and GT have both been trying to get out of the deal. No way we sign back with RA.
This may be true... RA just signed with WKU for 1.3M and maybe they do not want to pay P5 money, and will keep G5 teams as their flagship and go more FCS..

The problem with this is that we currently get 2M plus, and Nike has lareadt to Bobblehead they will sign us to a deal similar to the one like Washington State which is only worth 1.5M, UA has told Bobblehead that GT UA gear sales did not support a big time contract.. So that leaves us with Nike who will pay less then the current deal (means less money when Coaches are asking for upgrades)

So we are now hoping that adidas who does nothing for basketball comes in more (Please for the love of GOD pay us 4 to 5M a year so we can stay on pace with other ACC Schools) than RA old deal, I think we may lose money if RA is truly trying to get out of the deal...bad news for GT... While itwill be nice to have the swoosh w will be paid and treated like red headed step children.... Bummer

Link
http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-couga...-contract-uniforms-jersey-football-basketball

Link
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nikes_washington_state_contract_revealed

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This may be true... RA just signed with WKU for 1.3M and maybe they do not want to pay P5 money, and will keep G5 teams as their flagship and go more FCS..

The problem with this is that we currently get 2M plus, and Nike has lareadt to Bobblehead they will sign us to a deal similar to the one like Washington State which is only worth 1.5M, UA has told Bobblehead that GT UA gear sales did not support a big time contract.. So that leaves us with Nike who will pay less then the current deal (means less money when Coaches are asking for upgrades)

So we are now hoping that adidas who does nothing for basketball comes in more (Please for the love of GOD pay us 4 to 5M a year so we can stay on pace with other ACC Schools) than RA old deal, I think we may lose money if RA is truly trying to get out of the deal...bad news for GT... While itwill be nice to have the swoosh w will be paid and treated like red headed step children.... Bummer

Link
http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-couga...-contract-uniforms-jersey-football-basketball

Link
We are a bigger market than Washington St so hopefully Nike recognizes that and we get 2.5 a year front them. Also the reason UA apparel sales are down might have something to do with them having to compete with Nike. Nike is all over the apparel site and you won't find any UA gear til about the 3rd page.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Link

Link

Where'd you get the bold part from? Every time I see someone with a new piece of GT gear, it's Under Armour because they make nice stuff. The problem is that it's only available in the book store.

Also, to compare us to Washington State is a bit of a stretch. Complete mismatch of media markets, timing of when we'd be viewed on TV, way more history in revenue sports. Maybe we shouldn't come in at the Wisconsin/Cal level, but I think we'd be a valuable asset to UA given our market and the high end talent pool to market to in multiple sports where Georgia & Atlanta Metro are pumping out high end players.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We are a bigger market than Washington St so hopefully Nike recognizes that and we get 2.5 a year front them. Also the reason UA apparel sales are down might have something to do with them having to compete with Nike. Nike is all over the apparel site and you won't find any UA gear til about the 3rd page.
Nike has Georgia and they pay them well... Why would nike pay us more than they have already stated... They have told Bobblehead what they were willing to pay, maybe the new AD will get a few more dollars, but they do not need GT, GT fans need them (I do not think GT needs nike, but we have fans who are pining for it so now Nike can low ball us, we are note the only college this happens to see WSU)

If RA is walking away from GT then that may be why Bobblehead Bobinski left, can you imagine an ACC team takig less dollars in a time when we see colleges raking in 6-12 million a year deals?? This may be why he left so quickly... this may be a train wreck folks

GTFLETCH

Banned
From the looks of it, it seems like th BBall staff is pulling for Nike...
Agree I think BBall would like UA, or Nike... But here is the deal, GT is strapped for cash, the ACC ADs just refused to go to a 9 game FB schedule so every school will get 500K less a year from the ESPN TV deal, I know not that it is not thatmuch of a hit... However lets say RA does not want to reup with GT and so we lose our 2M plus a year deal with them. Nike offers 1M to 1.5 M over 8-10 Years... We will have the lowest deal in the ACC and be behind school by 5-7M... than tack on the annually 500K loss form the tV deal...Where does GT make up that money??

And does anyone really think that having the Nike Swoosh will bring in 5 star Basketball prospects who considers college nothing more than "the NBA minor league" and are looking for the easiest route to that ultimate goal, the NBA, going to wrestle with the academic rigors at GT since we have the swoosh???

I am not convinced that it will, what I think will happen is that when we are spurned by such an athlete the excuse will be for another reason....just a thought, however I also do not think GT gear will sell to fans faster either since you can already buy Nike and UA gear... So what is going to happen is that we may lose RA $$ accept less from Someone else unless adidas come in (which does nothing for bball recruiting) and we fall behind other ACC schools in money since we do not have the donor support to cover the transition from RA to a lesser deal like Nike or UA.. That will really hurt us in recruiting when we are trying to show recruits how great our campus and programs/facilities are... Train wreck is coming...I called it here first

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree I think BBall would like UA, or Nike... But here is the deal, GT is strapped for cash, the ACC ADs just refused to go to a 9 game FB schedule so every school will get 500K less a year from the ESPN TV deal, I know not that it is not thatmuch of a hit... However lets say RA does not want to reup with GT and so we lose our 2M plus a year deal with them. Nike offers 1M to 1.5 M over 8-10 Years... We will have the lowest deal in the ACC and be behind school by 5-7M... than tack on the annually 500K loss form the tV deal...Where does GT make up that money??

And does anyone really think that having the Nike Swoosh will bring in 5 star Basketball prospects who considers college nothing more than "the NBA minor league" and are looking for the easiest route to that ultimate goal, the NBA, going to wrestle with the academic rigors at GT since we have the swoosh???

I am not convinced that it will, what I think will happen is that when we are spurned by such an athlete the excuse will be for another reason....just a thought, however I also do not think GT gear will sell to fans faster either since you can already buy Nike and UA gear... So what is going to happen is that we may lose RA $$ accept less from Someone else unless adidas come in (which does nothing for bball recruiting) and we fall behind other ACC schools in money since we do not have the donor support to cover the transition from RA to a lesser deal like Nike or UA.. That will really hurt us in recruiting when we are trying to show recruits how great our campus and progras are... Train wreck is coming...I called it here first

Oh, I have no clue about what the behind scenes stuff going on in regards to Nike/UA/RA/etc.

My comment was more towards seeing Nike shirts and equipment on the staff and players in most of the social media stuff.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You are selling this market waaayyyyyy short. You think the Pullman WA market compares to the Atlanta GA market? You think Wazzou can develop a program and/or a national following at the same rate as GT of both returned to prominence? No chance my friend. Not even close. Conservatively GT even at its current state is worth 2-4x as much as Wazzou to Nike and possibly more to UA as we would be one of their higher profile programs. Not to mention their AAU affiliations in the southeast.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You are selling this market waaayyyyyy short. You think the Pullman WA market compares to the Atlanta GA market? You think Wazzou can develop a program and/or a national following at the same rate as GT of both returned to prominence? No chance my friend. Not even close. Conservatively GT even at its current state is worth 2-4x as much as Wazzou to Nike and possibly more to UA as we would be one of their higher profile programs. Not to mention their AAU affiliations in the southeast.

People, in all walks, seem to forget Atlanta is a top 8 media market. Seattle (for reference) IIRC is in the 15-20 range which is a huge step down.

I'm guessing Pullman, WA is in the 'others receiving votes' category. ;)

GTFLETCH

Banned
Well I guess what you are saying is that Nike will pay GT 8 Million a year over 10 years??? 80m?? If that is the case why didn't Nike beat out RA back in 2008 and pay us 2.5M??

The facts aresimple if Nike wanted GT they would have already had us in 2008, however they opted not to sign us, or GT opted to take more cash from RA! Why did Nike decide not to pay us 2.5M to 3M than, becuase they already sell items in the Atlanta Market, and they do not think giving GT 2.5M in 2008 was a good ROI???

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well I guess what you are saying is that Nike will pay GT 8 Million a year over 10 years??? 80m?? If that is the case why didn't Nike beat out RA back in 2008 and pay us 2.5M??

The facts aresimple if Nike wanted GT they would have already had us in 2008, however they opted not to sign us, or GT opted to take more cash from RA! Why did Nike decide not to pay us 2.5M to 3M than, becuase they already sell items in the Atlanta Market, and they do not think giving GT 2.5M in 2008 was a good ROI???

These deals weren't at that level back then for schools of our profile.