Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Tell me with a straight face that finals reffing job was on the up and up.

Terrible playoffs followed by a terrible finals potentially ending in 5 and then all of a sudden the league MVP is getting man handled on the perimeter at every turn and nothing is being called? Not saying it was rigged but....something was going on.

Well .... I always contend there has to be too many people involved and who all gain financially greater by keeping the secret than from exposing the conspiracy. Thus, the typical NBA conspiracies don't exist IMHO. Biases? Certainly. Conspiracies? Nah.

However, this was a poorly officiated Finals from the start. I understand "letting them play", but there's a fine-line between that and just letting the game get out of control. Guys (on both sides) were getting clearly fouled and the refs were just refusing to call them. Concurrently, the Warriors were getting called for touch-fouls so it just looked really strange.

And for the "that's old-skool, let the players decide things" guy, the league has trended towards allowing guys to showcase their skills. Not just reward the guy who fouls. You have to pick a lane, can't switch things up just for the Finals. I think that's what we saw, not necessarily anything untoward.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Whether it was biased or not they certainly officiated the Finals differently than they did the regular season. With the exception of blatent hand checks and arm bars it was pure old school 80's officiating. The style did favor Cleveland who was able to bump and grind Curry/Thompson more than they could in the regular season but GS did get away with a lot more on Lebron than they would have in the regular season as well - LeBron is just built to deal with it a lot better.

FWIW I think it does give a little insight into the old school guys who say Curry would not have been near as big a star "back in the day". Whether some of them could live in the normally more free wheeling current NBA is up for debate as well.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the nba rigs their officiating in the traditional sense (tell them how to call a game) but they absolutely will assign certain crews to do games knowing their tendencies. If you look at the stats, some refs are more or less likely to be swayed by a hostile crowd and call games reflecting that. When they want to even out a series where one team is down and going home, they'll give them a timid crew who will call fouls to pacify the crowd. It's high level gamesmanship, and the Tim Donaghy mess opened the door to looking at it but the league slammed it closed. Some guys are generally able to predict playoff ref assignments just based on where a series is at in terms of w-l.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hate to dig up an old thread but I hope to god we have atleast half the turnout that the stores up here in Michigan are having for there new Nike/Jumpman unveiling when we switch from Russell. These people can't buy enough Michigan gear. I know, I know we don't have half there fan base but for those of you that say it doesn't matter trust me. It does.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't wanna be a jerk here but.....I'm going to be.

Champion and Russell clothes don't fit as nicely as Adidas UA and Nike. I purchased a couple Ts at the GT bookstore that were champion and they have a neck wide enough to drive my f150 through while being about 4 inches shorter than they should

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just to further this conversation. Justin Moore tweeted a picture of himself at practice in a Russell uniform. One of his former coaches responded with a not overly kind response about using Rawlings.
Justin suggested that they are likely changing to Nike or UA next year.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't wanna be a jerk here but.....I'm going to be.

Champion and Russell clothes don't fit as nicely as Adidas UA and Nike. I purchased a couple Ts at the GT bookstore that were champion and they have a neck wide enough to drive my f150 through while being about 4 inches shorter than they should
I got a nicer Russell XL t-shirt a couple of years ago, or what I thought looked "nicer" for them, and when I put it on at home it fit really well everywhere, except the left arm was probably a Medium sleeve. Absolutely ridiculous. I never try on T-shirts because a Large or XL usually fit me well. I held it up to check and the XL seemed correct in this case. It was except I guess I didn't notice the tiny sleeve. I've never had that happen with a Nike or UA shirt.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Just to further this conversation. Justin Moore tweeted a picture of himself at practice in a Russell uniform. One of his former coaches responded with a not overly kind response about using Rawlings.
Justin suggested that they are likely changing to Nike or UA next year.

I think Justin may be on to something. We may be changing gear sooner than we had dared to hope!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm wearing my first pair of Under Armour sneakers today and they're really comfortable. Bought them because I haven't found any Nike Roshes that I like recently.

The shoe looks great as a casual shoe, except for their unattractive logo.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-speedform-slingride-running-shoes/pid1281998-002

If the product is of sufficient quality, they're going to give the kids tons of swag, and they're going to give GT a nice fat check, sign them up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm wearing my first pair of Under Armour sneakers today and they're really comfortable. Bought them because I haven't found any Nike Roshes that I like recently.

The shoe looks great as a casual shoe, except for their unattractive logo.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-speedform-slingride-running-shoes/pid1281998-002

If the product is of sufficient quality, they're going to give the kids tons of swag, and they're going to give GT a nice fat check, sign them up.

Shoulda got the Curry, old-nurse editions.

Funny, when I took my son to get school shoes (after I woke up from getting knocked out by the prices of kids shoes nowadays, I mean really $80 for some size 3 shoes?!!!), he gravitated to UA the way I used to gravitate to Nike. Seems a paradigm shift is underway among the youth ... and dtm apparently.

I agree though, once we sign the next deal, it'll be Christmas for the kids.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was shocked that the guys at cbs were shocked that UA has over taken adidas.

Do they not realize adidas has pretty much become synonymous with devastating knee injuries in basketball? Harden is on the clock there, btw, now that he's the new 'face' of the mark with the 3 stripes.