Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How is Louisville worth 16 million a year? Can someone explain this to me? Their basketball program is great but 16 million when they're in a market like Lousiville, Kentucky???

$16mill/year is a LOT, but that's not all cash. That's unis/equipment/clothes/shoes/cleats/coaching/marketing/etc. + the cash. Still A LOT of money, but the a lot of the value is in the goods, which could be inflated to make it look more impressive.

GTFLETCH

Banned
$16mill/year is a LOT, but that's not all cash. That's unis/equipment/clothes/shoes/cleats/coaching/marketing/etc. + the cash. Still A LOT of money, but the a lot of the value is in the goods, which could be inflated to make it look more impressive.
Again we should at least get 4M maybe more... when you add unis/equipment/clothes/shoes/ cleats/coaching/marketing/etc. + the cash. I mean 16M to an ACC school since 2014...

COME ON MAN!!!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Louisville basketball is one of the top programs in the country. Think shoes and link to their AAU program

At the moment we are a 'sleeper' program.

They have the returning headman trophy winner.

They also run 21 sports to our 12 I think

They are on a roll and have more athletes to equip so I don't expect parity. We have a ways to go yet

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks guys, that makes more sense now. Still 16 million is shocking, hopefully adidas throws us a little chunk of change as well.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Think they'll look like this?:

CG3039_FTW_photo_side-lateral_transparent_1024x1024.png

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
These two facilities are coming to Atlanta and we're heavy factors in our negotiations with Adidas according to Stansbury. He compared (loosely) this opportunity to be similar to Oregons benefit of being so close to Nike. We are in a position to be Adidas' guinea pigs. The Speed factory will be a new building. While P3 is moving from Santa Monica into the Hawks Arena.

P3

Speedfactory

Techster

Helluva Engineer
These two facilities are coming to Atlanta and we're heavy factors in our negotiations with Adidas according to Stansbury. He compared (loosely) this opportunity to be similar to Oregons benefit of being so close to Nike. We are in a position to be Adidas' guinea pigs. The Speed factory will be a new building. While P3 is moving from Santa Monica into the Hawks Arena.

P3

Speedfactory

I remember a few posters disagreeing with me that being geographically located in Atlanta wasn't as advantageous as I thought. The thought was UGA was actually considered the same as "Atlanta" since they are the state flagship university. Because GT has been physically located in Atlanta since it's creation, it's not like it's been that big of a deal for us all these years. However, the Atlanta area scene has changed dramatically for the better, and IMO, to the advantage of GT. The business scene in and around the campus has changed dramatically for the better...in fact, Atlanta is positioning ourselves as somewhat of a hybrid between a silicon valley and investment center of the South. Hollywood has planted deep roots in Atlanta, and the entertainment industry is thriving here. Now, with the addition of Adidas as a sponsor, it opens even more avenues for current and potential SAs.

IMO, GT really needs to start marketing itself "above the fray". I think our advantage is VERY few schools have the ability to deliver what we can. GT no longer should compare ourselves with the Clemsons/UGAs/FSUs/VTs/UNCs/etc. We're in rarefied air. We're an elite academic institute, BUT our location can offer students opportunities in careers only a handful of schools can match. Not many schools can offer kids the opportunity to be an Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos/Mark Zuckerberg and at the same time, if they so choose, become actors/musicians/music and movie producers. We're a big hub for Wall Street type careers (without being on Wall Street). Whatever career a student wants at GT, it is literally within 10 miles of campus.

This is where IMO when teams from our conference or other schools are recruiting against us, we need to make it known that "Yes, we are playing the same sport on the field, but off they field those schools are not even playing the same game as GT". GT in this case, should make elitism work for us. Yes, Clemson is playing football...as is FSU, as is Miami, as is UGA, as is Florida, as is Alabama, as is Auburn...you see where I'm going? "Son, you can play football/baseball/basketball/etc. at any school you want. But let me ask you this: How many of those schools can help you become the next Mark Zuckerberg? How about the next Steven Speilberg? Or the next Warren Buffet? How about the next Jay Z?" Only one, and if you're lucky enough to come to GT, your future is only limited by how big you can dream. You want to become the next Lebron James or Tom Brady? Young man, that should only be the beginning of your dreams...even those athletes are getting involved in business and entertainment to set themselves up for after their playing days are over. If you're being recruited by GT, then you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to become not only a Lebron James or Tom Brady, but a Jay Z/Mark Zuckerberg/Spielberg/Buffet or all of the above.

We need to tell kids, hey, if you want to be just a basketball player or football player...go ahead and go to another school, because those any school will make you a good player if you want. But at GT, you can be BOTH a great player in college and the next level, in addition you will also become a great player in the game of life because GT can offer opportunities no other school can. GT isn't for everybody, it's for the elite few that are chosen...and if we're recruiting you, that means you have the opportunity to be one of the elite few in your sport, and in life.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I remember a few posters disagreeing with me that being geographically located in Atlanta wasn't as advantageous as I thought. The thought was UGA was actually considered the same as "Atlanta" since they are the state flagship university. Because GT has been physically located in Atlanta since it's creation, it's not like it's been that big of a deal for us all these years. However, the Atlanta area scene has changed dramatically for the better, and IMO, to the advantage of GT. The business scene in and around the campus has changed dramatically for the better...in fact, Atlanta is positioning ourselves as somewhat of a hybrid between a silicon valley and investment center of the South. Hollywood has planted deep roots in Atlanta, and the entertainment industry is thriving here. Now, with the addition of Adidas as a sponsor, it opens even more avenues for current and potential SAs.

IMO, GT really needs to start marketing itself "above the fray". I think our advantage is VERY few schools have the ability to deliver what we can. GT no longer should compare ourselves with the Clemsons/UGAs/FSUs/VTs/UNCs/etc. We're in rarefied air. We're an elite academic institute, BUT our location can offer students opportunities in careers only a handful of schools can match. Not many schools can offer kids the opportunity to be an Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos/Mark Zuckerberg and at the same time, if they so choose, become actors/musicians/music and movie producers. We're a big hub for Wall Street type careers (without being on Wall Street). Whatever career a student wants at GT, it is literally within 10 miles of campus.

This is where IMO when teams from our conference or other schools are recruiting against us, we need to make it known that "Yes, we are playing the same sport on the field, but off they field those schools are not even playing the same game as GT". GT in this case, should make elitism work for us. Yes, Clemson is playing football...as is FSU, as is Miami, as is UGA, as is Florida, as is Alabama, as is Auburn...you see where I'm going? "Son, you can play football/baseball/basketball/etc. at any school you want. But let me ask you this: How many of those schools can help you become the next Mark Zuckerberg? How about the next Steven Speilberg? Or the next Warren Buffet? How about the next Jay Z?" Only one, and if you're lucky enough to come to GT, your future is only limited by how big you can dream. You want to become the next Lebron James or Tom Brady? Young man, that should only be the beginning of your dreams...even those athletes are getting involved in business and entertainment to set themselves up for after their playing days are over. If you're being recruited by GT, then you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to become not only a Lebron James or Tom Brady, but a Jay Z/Mark Zuckerberg/Spielberg/Buffet or all of the above.

We need to tell kids, hey, if you want to be just a basketball player or football player...go ahead and go to another school, because those any school will make you a good player if you want. But at GT, you can be BOTH a great player in college and the next level, in addition you will also become a great player in the game of life because GT can offer opportunities no other school can. GT isn't for everybody, it's for the elite few that are chosen...and if we're recruiting you, that means you have the opportunity to be one of the elite few in your sport, and in life.

Stansbury also mentioned intern positions available to ours students (not sure if it was SAs exclusively) with Adidas as part of the deal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury also mentioned intern positions available to ours students (not sure if it was SAs exclusively) with Adidas as part of the deal.

I think that's certainly an attractive aspect of the deal. The reality is, GT can offer a kid internships at pretty much any field he/she wants. I mentioned in Devoe's recruiting thread that if he wanted an internship at TNT, all he has to do is cross the street after class/practice and he's there. How about an internship in film or music? There are major studios and production houses all over the city. Wall street? Major investment banks and private equity players are spread all over the city. You want a field in medicine? One of the best schools of medicine in the world is located in Atlanta. If you just wanted to work on your game, well, we have the best basketball and football players coming to work out on campus all the time and our guys get to work out with them. Our players are always playing pick up with NBA guys, or doing drills on the field with NFL players. On top of that, the ACC which is already considered the best basketball league, is also quickly becoming of the best football leagues.

SAs are literally getting the best of everything at GT...I can only think of a handful of schools in the same position as us.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Techster - I agree with what you're saying, but I think you're just modernizing the "40 year decision" pitch we've always used. Except for the wall street stuff, which I disagree with on a couple of levels, I think the institution has already begun doing this. It may still be filtering to the GTAA, but there are public messages out there about.most of what you're saying.

All of that said, I think you should email your well written posts to Stansbury to disseminate among his coaches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster - I agree with what you're saying, but I think you're just modernizing the "40 year decision" pitch we've always used. Except for the wall street stuff, which I disagree with on a couple of levels, I think the institution has already begun doing this. It may still be filtering to the GTAA, but there are public messages out there about.most of what you're saying.

All of that said, I think you should email your well written posts to Stansbury to disseminate among his coaches.

I have no clue how it's being communicated to the recruits as I'm obviously not part of the pitch. What I do know is all of the communications I've seen through social media and what recruits have relayed through social media hardly ever touches on the points I've outlined above. There isn't a clear message that puts GT "above the fray" as I mentioned. There's a long game here in recruiting that I think GT misses.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member