Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
What about cleats, basketball shoes, etc? Can we start wearing Adidas this season or are we contractually obligated to Nike and whatever the non rev sports wear?

Deleted member 2897

What about cleats, basketball shoes, etc? Can we start wearing Adidas this season or are we contractually obligated to Nike and whatever the non rev sports wear?

Nope. Todd said the Russell founders were Tech grads, so they wanted to be totally respectful and not end the deal early. So not even cleats or shoes or nothing until July 1st. THAT IS A BUNCH OF STUPID.

giphy.gif

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Todd said the Russell founders were Tech grads, so they wanted to be totally respectful and not end the deal early. So not even cleats or shoes or nothing until July 1st. THAT IS A BUNCH OF STUPID.

giphy.gif

Well, Tech grads and BIG contributors

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Sugiura: 6 things worth knowing about the Tech-Adidas partnership
“Atlanta is a major basketball hotbed,” said Chris Rivers, the director of global sports marketing for Adidas, told the AJC. “The South is a region, Atlanta in particular, where (Wheeler High grad, NBA first-round pick and Adidas endorses) Jaylen Brown is from. We have a partnership with Wheeler High School, so the ability to have more Adidas, high-level basketball in that area, where some of our competitors are very competitive, is just one of those places you’ve just got to be.”

Deleted member 2897

Well, Tech grads and BIG contributors

With all the changes and restructuring and M&A with Russell over the last several years, I would be HIGHLY skeptical that a couple of Tech grads would put their foot down and really care about this enough to push back on contract restructurings. If so, I totally understand Todd's and GT's position. But boy would I really royally rake those guys over the coals. At this point in the evolution of Russell, you would have to really be kidding me. I honestly would think they wouldn't give 2 craps about that market anymore. I think we just negotiated with ourselves.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With all the changes and restructuring and M&A with Russell over the last several years, I would be HIGHLY skeptical that a couple of Tech grads would put their foot down and really care about this enough to push back on contract restructurings. If so, I totally understand Todd's and GT's position. But boy would I really royally rake those guys over the coals. At this point in the evolution of Russell, you would have to really be kidding me. I honestly would think they wouldn't give 2 craps about that market anymore. I think we just negotiated with ourselves.

The Rivals article gives additional context for Stansbury's respectful stance. It's entirely reasonable.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

Hate to say I disagree with you on that, honoring a long time partner is the right way to go about things. Too many business folks have forgotten what a partnership is all about. Yes, I was most definitely ready to move on from Russell but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. In my mind TS handled it in a very classy manner.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
There is rightfully hesitation at hiring a Tech man as a head coach simply because. But based on this article I think hiring a Tech man as AD may have been a great call. I am not nearly the complainer about uniforms as many Tech fans, but I have never understood the lack of consistency in the gold. It is such a basic branding move. And to allow all the use of yellow in anythjng other than depictions of Buzz is equally inexplicable to me. So look at this Rivals articld and see that the first thing they quote TS on is that even before he started he was determined to standardize and brand a "Tech gold." Amen to that!