Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Milwaukee

Banned
Why (actual question, not trying to be snarky)? As consumers, we'll likely still have other brands' GT gear out there for purchase. The uniforms just will be exclusively UA.

I'm worried about the Nike gear (polos and dry-fit t-shirts) not being available at the bookstore if UA signs an exclusive.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm worried about the Nike gear (polos and dry-fit t-shirts) not being available at the bookstore if UA signs an exclusive.

Ah, ok. Then I think you should be worried. However, will they not be available anywhere else? Or are they cheaper at the bookstore? I have so many questions!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think the apparel contract with the team means very little to regular consumers. We currently have the RA deal and in my closet I have

Champion sweats and Ts
UA shorts
Fanatics sweatshirt
A couple 1/4 zips from company's I've never heard of

Basically I have GT stuff from every company except RA....

The contract makes us a bit hipper in certain circles but the impact will we will see is hopefully relationships with local AAU. The Express and Celtics are both UA I think and I'm not sure about the Stampede. I assume CP3 is nike. DTM or Red would probably know.
Is that other brand "Antigua" I have a blue quarter zip pull over from them and I absolutely love it. Just with the GT was a bit bigger.

Maryland is the torch bearer for UA and even they have other brands selling fan apparel. I wouldn't fret too much.

Milwaukee

Banned
Ah, ok. Then I think you should be worried. However, will they not be available anywhere else? Or are they cheaper at the bookstore? I have so many questions!

I'm not really sure, probably more available around the ATL area. For me the only Nike GT gear I can find is on the bookstore website, and occasionally something on Fanatics.com.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Timeline they are shooting for is May '18. Possible announcement end of '17.

And a note about other brands. It depends on the deal GT signs with UA. If it is a fully-encompassing contract there won't be any other brands on the campus.

This has always been the timeline. The Russell deal ends April of 2018. I'm told nothing official with UA yet.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow

If they sign an exclusive the bookstore would be exclusively UA but it gets complicated from there. They still would probably have other brands available elsewhere but UA hates Nike so don't expect there to be much GT Nike gear.

And for the record having worked in the innovation lab, all of these companies use the same materials. It's just the marketing that puts them apart.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Is that other brand "Antigua" I have a blue quarter zip pull over from them and I absolutely love it. Just with the GT was a bit bigger.

Maryland is the torch bearer for UA and even they have other brands selling fan apparel. I wouldn't fret too much.

No but I have some Antigua golf shirts from the company I work for and they are pretty aweseom

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Well Louisville is a Top Basketball Program and they have a national reach
UCLA is in California and in Los Angeles, If UA is going to Compete with Nike they need a presence in Cali

While I love GT, we are closer to teams like Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Clemson, Northwestern, Washington State, Georgia who all have deals less than 4M per year. What I am concerned about is that everyone knows we get 2M a year from Russell and we are walking away from Rusell, so why would anyone give us 5-7M when they can get us for 2.5M per year?? That would be a win for the GTAA, a increase of 500K and a needed change to either UA, Adidas or Nike.

I think our only hope is for Adidas and UA to get into a bidding war(however that may not even happen as Nike may dump some 2018 teams like Iowa and Iowa State to offer more $$ To Bama, UNC, and Oregon) and we end up at 4M per year from one of those companies. However what does give me a little hope is that NC State signed an extension deal with aididas and they get 6.5M per year. So there may be a chance that Tech can get 5-7M if NC state did..
Again, you aren't taking into consideration WHEN those deals for Clemson, Purdue, UGA, etc were made. We are in a bigger market than all of those programs and the RECENT deals are the ones that have been so huge. We may not get 5-7, but I would bet that it will be close...

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If they sign an exclusive the bookstore would be exclusively UA but it gets complicated from there. They still would probably have other brands available elsewhere but UA hates Nike so don't expect there to be much GT Nike gear.

And for the record having worked in the innovation lab, all of these companies use the same materials. It's just the marketing that puts them apart.
All I know is my daughters are MD grads and they have plenty of non UA MD stuff purchased on campus. Still lots of champion and other labels on the shelves.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I though I heard that we could get out of the contract for next year, but that it didn't seem likely a deal would get done in time. If we are just about done, is there any chance we could be wearing UA next year?

There was talk of that but when MBob left the process started over with Stansbury. I guess there's still a chance but unlikely. It would have to happen in next couple of months for 2017 football to change.