Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think I've said this before (and I'm sure someone in this thread has touched on it) but Sammy Huntley played football with Stansbury at Tech and is currently the Senior Director of Team Sports at UA (aka the guy who makes these types of decisions). He also previously worked at Russell in early 2000 so he understands the current deal pretty well.

GT was the first entity ever to wear UA (not just school... they bought the first ever sold 10 units for a trial for the game at Notre Dame in mid 2000s).

When they put us through new member hires at UA they talked about the history of the company and in every document it talked about GT buying the first units. They have wanted GT since the beginning and this is their opportunity to pounce.

Not saying it will be UA but they are certainly motivated to right the wrong that occurred when they couldn't secure the deal originally.

All you said may be true, but it may have nothing to do with a business deal.

I do not think we will get more than what R gives us. WE will have to make up the difference.

I have no preference for N, A, or UA.

I do care that we do not wear a uni that makes us look like a bunch of weirdos.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
All you said may be true, but it may have nothing to do with a business deal.

I do not think we will get more than what R gives us. WE will have to make up the difference.

I have no preference for N, A, or UA.

I do care that we do not wear a uni that makes us look like a bunch of weirdos.
I mean the jerseys are still going to say "Georgia Tech" on them...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I am not a Twerp fan by any stretch, but I hate that a founding member of the conference ran away in the middle of the night and now we have the outcasts from the Big East instead. I know Cuse & Louisville are good programs but Pitt, VPI, BC and Miami will never fit in. The "new" ACC was constructed around football money, and I'm a hoops guy. We lost the home and homes, which were great. Now the regular season is all about scheduling and who gets the easy road vs the hard road. Give me the 8 team ACC (pre-FSU) or at worst the 9 team league. Those were the days and I would even take the Twerps back if it meant we could jettison the Big East luggage.

And many say about GT what you are saying about the other additions to the ACC.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
UA is paying Wisconsin over 9 mil per year, South Carolina over 7 mil per year, and even Northwestern over 3 mil per year. Adidas is paying Texas A&M and Miami over 7 mil per year and NC State over 6.5 per year. Yes the $10 mil per year number is pie in the sky thinking but to think we would only be at 2.5 is a real underestimation based on these other recent contract deals. My guess is we will be over 4 mil per year which is 2 mil more per year than current deal. Of course as others mentioned the biggest bonus will be the branding and marketing of GT. We get zero of that from Russell. I did hear from someone today that reiterated that Adidas is a much bigger horse in the race than anticipated and may cause UA to pay more. They both want us bad. Nike is pretty much out although with Hoops coming on strong they may get back in and Russell is not bidding.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
UA is paying Wisconsin over 9 mil per year, South Carolina over 7 mil per year, and even Northwestern over 3 mil per year. Adidas is paying Texas A&M and Miami over 7 mil per year and NC State over 6.5 per year. Yes the $10 mil per year number is pie in the sky thinking but to think we would only be at 2.5 is a real underestimation based on these other recent contract deals. My guess is we will be over 4 mil per year which is 2 mil more per year than current deal. Of course as others mentioned the biggest bonus will be the branding and marketing of GT. We get zero of that from Russell. I did hear from someone today that reiterated that Adidas is a much bigger horse in the race than anticipated and may cause UA to pay more. They both want us bad. Nike is pretty much out although with Hoops coming on strong they may get back in and Russell is not bidding.

What's scares me about those numbers is that UA was riding high when those contracts were signed. UA has hit some hard times recently, so it scares me that UA won't come to the table with numbers in the same neighborhood as what we saw with Wisconsin/Utah/Cal/etc. The simple reason is, they may not be able to be monetarily competitive anymore. A lot of contracts have to do with timing. ACC didn't get to capitalize on the big media money the first go around before media contracts shot through the roof and lost some money in terms of filling up with appetizers before the main course came out. Now, with UA stock approaching lows, and Nike sounds like they're not as hot on GT, the market for GT's apparral rights may be a lot looser.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The deals that schools were getting over the last couple of years were huge. Hopefully we don't miss out on a chance to get one ourselves. I wish we could buy out the Russell Deal and start with a new company this fall. I would think we would get about 5-7 mil per year on a new deal.

GTFLETCH

Banned

I would be thrilled if we get 4M per year from UA, Adidas, or Nike!!! Thrilled!!

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What's scares me about those numbers is that UA was riding high when those contracts were signed. UA has hit some hard times recently, so it scares me that UA won't come to the table with numbers in the same neighborhood as what we saw with Wisconsin/Utah/Cal/etc. The simple reason is, they may not be able to be monetarily competitive anymore. A lot of contracts have to do with timing. ACC didn't get to capitalize on the big media money the first go around before media contracts shot through the roof and lost some money in terms of filling up with appetizers before the main course came out. Now, with UA stock approaching lows, and Nike sounds like they're not as hot on GT, the market for GT's apparral rights may be a lot looser.

Don't forget UA just signed MLB to a huge apparel deal, also Leonard Fournette, and is bidding on some big soccer teams too. Internally they must not be as worried as some outsiders.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget UA just signed MLB to a huge apparel deal, also Leonard Fournette, and is bidding on some big soccer teams too. Internally they must not be as worried as some outsiders.

True. Hopefully they still have room in their collegiate portfolio for GT when the time comes.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The deals that schools were getting over the last couple of years were huge. Hopefully we don't miss out on a chance to get one ourselves. I wish we could buy out the Russell Deal and start with a new company this fall. I would think we would get about 5-7 mil per year on a new deal.

What makes you think we can get a 5-7M deal. Purdue is 2M per year with Nike until 2022, VT is with Nike at 1.9M per year until 2021 and WSU 2.3M per year until 2023. Adidas just signed Rutgers to 1.7M per year until 2023 and Maryland is UA 3.3M thru 2024.

Plus several other teams have deals ending in 2018.... I only ask because the GT gear does not sell off the shelf and never has. So I am wondering why do you think GT will get 5M to 7M from Nike, UA or Adidas?

GTFLETCH

Banned
I bet Nike would sign us to the same deal Rutgers signed... 6 years 10.5M... or 1.7M per year... and treat us like 4th tier and second fiddle to UGA who they pay 4M per year...

I so hope we do not sign with Nike, unless they pay us more than UGA!

Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I bet Nike would sign us to the same deal Rutgers signed... 6 years 10.5M... or 1.7M per year... and treat us like 4th tier and second fiddle to UGA who they pay 4M per year...

I so hope we do not sign with Nike, unless they pay us more than UGA!

Out of curiosity why would they pay us more than UGA?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think we can get a 5-7M deal. Purdue is 2M per year with Nike until 2022, VT is with Nike at 1.9M per year until 2021 and WSU 2.3M per year until 2023. Adidas just signed Rutgers to 1.7M per year until 2023 and Maryland is UA 3.3M thru 2024.

Plus several other teams have deals ending in 2018.... I only ask because the GT gear does not sell off the shelf and never has. So I am wondering why do you think GT will get 5M to 7M from Nike, UA or Adidas?

Just basing that off of some of the deals that have been going off lately. Not talking about deals that went into place 4-5 years ago but deals that have happened the last 1-2 years. Louisville just got almost 8 mil per year from adidas. UCLA got almost 20 per year from UA... We aren't big enough to get simply 5-7 per year in ATL? That doesn't make sense to me. Rutgers sucks at every sport. We are good at most sports (getting better at bball) and are in a huge market. Not trying to offend you. You seem very defensive of us not getting a big deal. I'm just hoping for the best.