Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Just basing that off of some of the deals that have been going off lately. Not talking about deals that went into place 4-5 years ago but deals that have happened the last 1-2 years. Louisville just got almost 8 mil per year from adidas. UCLA got almost 20 per year from UA... We aren't big enough to get simply 5-7 per year in ATL? That doesn't make sense to me. Rutgers sucks at every sport. We are good at most sports (getting better at bball) and are in a huge market. Not trying to offend you. You seem very defensive of us not getting a big deal. I'm just hoping for the best.

Well Louisville is a Top Basketball Program and they have a national reach
UCLA is in California and in Los Angeles, If UA is going to Compete with Nike they need a presence in Cali

While I love GT, we are closer to teams like Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Clemson, Northwestern, Washington State, Georgia who all have deals less than 4M per year. What I am concerned about is that everyone knows we get 2M a year from Russell and we are walking away from Rusell, so why would anyone give us 5-7M when they can get us for 2.5M per year?? That would be a win for the GTAA, a increase of 500K and a needed change to either UA, Adidas or Nike.

I think our only hope is for Adidas and UA to get into a bidding war(however that may not even happen as Nike may dump some 2018 teams like Iowa and Iowa State to offer more $$ To Bama, UNC, and Oregon) and we end up at 4M per year from one of those companies. However what does give me a little hope is that NC State signed an extension deal with aididas and they get 6.5M per year. So there may be a chance that Tech can get 5-7M if NC state did..

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I bet Nike would sign us to the same deal Rutgers signed... 6 years 10.5M... or 1.7M per year... and treat us like 4th tier and second fiddle to UGA who they pay 4M per year...

I so hope we do not sign with Nike, unless they pay us more than UGA!

I may be wrong, I think you may off base or are serverely underestimating GT/Atlanta market in this. I think it's ludicrous to believe we wouldn't be viewed the same as Cal Berkeley. There deal consist of 3.5mil cash/yr and 4.76 mil in product. I know you brought up sales # but that is contributed to a number of issues of only having quality products in one centralized location, marketing and licensing issues that will be resolved with a new deal.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We are not walking away from Russell, they are leaving the major college uniform business.
Not True.. they just signed WKU to an extension(I posted that link earlier on this thread).. They will keep their deals with South Miss and WKU... I think you may mean they are leaving the P5 college uniform business...

GTFLETCH

Banned
I may be wrong, I think you may off base or are serverely underestimating GT/Atlanta market in this. I think it's ludicrous to believe we wouldn't be viewed the same as Cal Berkeley. There deal consist of 3.5mil cash/yr and 4.76 mil in product. I know you brought up sales # but that is contributed to a number of issues of only having quality products in one centralized location, marketing and licensing issues that will be resolved with a new deal.
Boy I hope I am wrong... If we could get a deal like that 3.5M cash and 4.7M in product for a total of 8.2M that would be huge!!!

I am skeptical because in 2008 RA was the best deal at 10 year 20M... If GT was so valuable surely someone could have outbid RA and given us 2.5M....But that never happenes and Nike is dumping schools like Rutgers to throw more money at the schools they value most like Bama,UNC, and Oregon.

So the unknown factors would be does UA or Adidas value the GT and Atlanta Market enough to pay us 4-8M or would they be better off scooping up say Rutgers and Iowa for a total of 4-8M...I think that may hurt us when negotiating.

I know I am looking at the glass half empty but the bottomline is we need to look at it half empty until GTAA can show us they are serious about GT branding moving forward.

Does it not bother anyone that GTAA is not buying themselves out of the Russell deal?? I mean if we had UA, Adidas or Nike beating down the door offering us 6-8M per year it seems like a no Brainer buy out of the last year for 2.5M and the GTAA would still make 3.5M plus in year 1.

I think I know why, we are more like Rutgers than we are Louisville.. If GT Men's BBALL team makes March Madness the next two years and if the football team wins the ACC title next year we may get a company to throw 5M at us...but more likely we are looking at a recent deal like Rutgers got from Adidas 1.7M or Nike paid Washington State 2.3M...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I do agree that we should buy ourselves out. You have to remember in 2008 we were in the midst of recession, so 2mil during that time was a great deal

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The note of split between cash & product brings up a good point. Someone may have already mentioned this, but if our deal has a lower all-in value, we need to keep in mind that we have way fewer athletics teams than a lot of other much larger universities.

GTFLETCH

Banned
We are not walking away from Russell, they are leaving the major college uniform business.

WKU, Russell Athletic Announce Five-Year Apparel and Uniform Contract Extension. The extension, which will run from July 1, 2016–June 30, 2021 and represents a significant increase from the previous deal, allows WKU to continue providing student-athletes with uniforms, sideline, workout and travel apparel from Russell Athletic.

Link
http://www.wkusports.com/genrel/083115aaa.html

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Just basing that off of some of the deals that have been going off lately. Not talking about deals that went into place 4-5 years ago but deals that have happened the last 1-2 years. Louisville just got almost 8 mil per year from adidas. UCLA got almost 20 per year from UA... We aren't big enough to get simply 5-7 per year in ATL? That doesn't make sense to me. Rutgers sucks at every sport. We are good at most sports (getting better at bball) and are in a huge market. Not trying to offend you. You seem very defensive of us not getting a big deal. I'm just hoping for the best.

The UCLA deal is the highest total ever in NCAA licensing. It's not a comparable. Don't know much else about this, but do know it's not for nothing that the Angel's litigated to be able to license the name the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

And though I love tech, it's brand isn't ATL at the moment.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn't they? They were already doing it when we are signed under Russell? If there is a dollar to be made they will find it and make it.

I think the apparel contract with the team means very little to regular consumers. We currently have the RA deal and in my closet I have

Champion sweats and Ts
UA shorts
Fanatics sweatshirt
A couple 1/4 zips from company's I've never heard of

Basically I have GT stuff from every company except RA....

The contract makes us a bit hipper in certain circles but the impact will we will see is hopefully relationships with local AAU. The Express and Celtics are both UA I think and I'm not sure about the Stampede. I assume CP3 is nike. DTM or Red would probably know.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Start of next Athletic fiscal year 17-18 or beginning 18-19?

Timeline they are shooting for is May '18. Possible announcement end of '17.

And a note about other brands. It depends on the deal GT signs with UA. If it is a fully-encompassing contract there won't be any other brands on the campus.