Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Curiosity.... what does BC's deal look like? They are in a arger media market than us, but same conference and similar national profile in terms of teams' success (or lack thereof). I would think they're a better comparator than Utah or Ga State
Not disclosed.

They took over at BC in 2009 and signed on for another 10 years last year. The main thing that GT needs from UA or Nike is this statement right here

In addition to outfitting Eagles teams, the new partnership includes "integration into the brand’s marketing, social media, in-store, and grassroots activations," Under Armour said.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Auburn and GSU have no bearing whatsoever on UA coming after GT. With only 1 school in the ACC and ND for Hoops being the only ones wearing UA - they would kill to get another team in ACC wearing their gear.
I hope you are correct. I just do not see UA throwing 65M to GT (Some poster stated we could get utah money), when they would be losing money as GT gear only has sales of 10M. (must divide that 10M between all the folks who sell GT gear, not just UA, But Nike, Knights, Champion, RA) SO anyone thinking UA will pay 65M to GT and only sell 8M in gear would be basically calling the UA Leadership STUPID! I am not buying any of that!

Utah does not have a pro team, and the only other Salt Lake City team is the NBA JAzz, so Utah is the "team" in Salt Lake City.

While I do think UA would sign GT I just think they want to pay 1.5M a year. Which would be a 1M dollar loss per year on the GTAA who does not have the same donor support at Auburn, UGA, Clemson, FSU, UF. So we need UA or Nike to pay us 65M per year.

But all I have heard is nike and UA is interested in siging at 1M to 2M range,(that would be last in the ACC and would would lose $$ from RA deal) So if the NEW AD can get UA or Nike, Adidas to pay 2.5M -3M I would be happy, but we will still have the worst deal in the ACC. A Shame as RA was willing to pay 5M per year. I want the most money for the GTAA so we can try and keep pace with other ACC teams!

Last edited:

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Before Bobinski left I had heard both UA and Nike were offering 10 year deals that would double our Russell deal plus much more for marketing and publicity. I expect Stansbury to get us an even better deal.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Before Bobinski left I had heard both UA and Nike were offering 10 year deals that would double our Russell deal plus much more for marketing and publicity. I expect Stansbury to get us an even better deal.

UA came back and told Bobblehead that the sales do not support 5M per year. I think you may be talking about Adidas and Nike. I have not heard a dollar figure on Nike, all I was told was the offer was similar to WSU. Adidas I was told would double the RA deal, 2.3M, so if true that would be 4.6M. Also maybe the Nike deal would be like WSU as far as gear for athletes and worth 4.6M... Both deals would be less then the RA last 5M pitch, but if true about Nike doubling the current RA deal...That would be awesome and GTAA would be dumb not to sign Nike!!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Adidas Baseball is pretty trash... We shouldn't be happy with this IMO. I went to a baseball camp in 8th grade where they made us test Adidas gear and it was awful. No Pop in the bat and cleats were HEAVY.
As for football or basketball, always been a Nike guy, but I've heard great stuff about it their Football cleats. Off Topic their Golf Shoes are also HORRIBLE.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Adidas Baseball is pretty trash... We shouldn't be happy with this IMO. I went to a baseball camp in 8th grade where they made us test Adidas gear and it was awful. No Pop in the bat and cleats were HEAVY.
As for football or basketball, always been a Nike guy, but I've heard great stuff about it their Football cleats. Off Topic their Golf Shoes are also HORRIBLE.
Adidas has probably come a long way from when you tested that stuff. Bats now have pretty much all the pop out of them anyways because of regulations it's more like hitting a wood bat. Their golf cleats really aren't that bad either, I'm sure that's depending on which ones you get though. Personally I like nike myself though.

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing we haven't really talked about is how big this is for our apparel contract. We are in a quasi contract year and showing HUGE potential with our basketball program. If we make the NCAAs that would put the Nike Adidas and UA on notice and who knows - there might be a true bidding war. Regardless, this season will get us some extra money in the new contract.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
One thing we haven't really talked about is how big this is for our apparel contract. We are in a quasi contract year and showing HUGE potential with our basketball program. If we make the NCAAs that would put the Nike Adidas and UA on notice and who knows - there might be a true bidding war. Regardless, this season will get us some extra money in the new contract.

Didn't think about that, hopefully it leads to more money from one of the big three. Is this the last year with Russel for basketball and one more for football? I'd love to buy them out and start fresh with something new next year in football.

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe we have the deal with Russell through the 2017-2018 season. I may be wrong about this but I think I remember people in this thread saying there was talks of it ending early. Also the deal would probably be agreed before the start of next basketball season hence quasi contract year

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I will eat my shoe if we don't have Russell next year.

No way they'll buy out the contract. I'd be looking for the new contract announced around December this year though.