Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm just afraid by the time we can actually sign with a new company we'll have missed the money train that was making its stop around the country the past few years dumping big deals left and right.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think @Peacone36 is closer to right than wrong on the adidas thing. Their recent uptick is a blip on the radar IMHO.

I hope we end up with Nike although I do like UA.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Just hear say from some contacts that work at UA, but I hear that they're making a very strong push. They attribute their early successes to Tech as we were their first team sale, and would love to get us back as a part of the UA family.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think Nike would be the safest choice. UA and Adidas could both gain popularity, or lose it, but Nike will more than likely be the most consistent brand. If one offers a lot more money than Nike then I guess we'd need to go with that brand. I'll honestly be happy to have any of the three, but would prefer Nike, then UA, then Adidas.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Just hear say from some contacts that work at UA, but I hear that they're making a very strong push. They attribute their early successes to Tech as we were their first team sale, and would love to get us back as a part of the UA family.
tumblr_lib6lzkIJ21qcnhhzo1_r1_500.gif

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it will be UA as well, because of the history, connections and something Stansbury said at the lunch bunch appearance.

He said he wants Tech to carve a niche with blending sports and technology....to create our own Gatorade. UA seems much more geared toward that innovation in terms of equipment and apparel. I could see that cooperation being part of any deal.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Interesting regarding UA's recent financial news.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...-be-a-premium-full-price-brand-143706011.html

Have taken a bit of a slide which is expected to continue into 2017.
Because 85% of Under Armour’s global revenue comes from North America, it is particularly affected (more so than Nike or Germany-based Adidas) by shifts in the US retail scene. “But we have momentum toward greater global balance,” Plank assured investors.

Kinda why I lean more towards us going with Nike. UA is doing well but are still "new" to the game (I realize how long they've been around).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting regarding UA's recent financial news.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...-be-a-premium-full-price-brand-143706011.html

Have taken a bit of a slide which is expected to continue into 2017.

Kinda why I lean more towards us going with Nike. UA is doing well but are still "new" to the game (I realize how long they've been around).

http://fortune.com/2017/01/31/under-armor-worst-performer-sp500/?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_FORTUNE

Still need UA to do well so there's some semblence of a bidding situation when GT's contract is up for bid. Don't want it to be just Nike and Russell. Knowing that the AD and Coaches have been vocal about needing to go with a premium brand over Russell could undercut any leverage we may have. Nike could say "Well, we know UA isn't bidding, and we know you don't want to go back to Russell, so here's our (sh!tty) bid. Take it or leave it."

Seriously...we're thisclose to getting out of the Russell contract, and the state of the market for the shoe/apparral companies is going the wrong way.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
http://fortune.com/2017/01/31/under-armor-worst-performer-sp500/?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_FORTUNE

Still need UA to do well so there's some semblence of a bidding situation when GT's contract is up for bid. Don't want it to be just Nike and Russell. Knowing that the AD and Coaches have been vocal about needing to go with a premium brand over Russell could undercut any leverage we may have. Nike could say "Well, we know UA isn't bidding, and we know you don't want to go back to Russell, so here's our (sh!tty) bid. Take it or leave it."

Seriously...we're thisclose to getting out of the Russell contract, and the state of the market for the shoe/apparral companies is going the wrong way.
I don't think Russell will be in the mix at all, at least I hope not, but I agree we need all three of the larger brands to do well until we are up for bid.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Agree we need more bidders at the table not less. They'll be fine though, I think.

I think this was a 'correction' of sorts for UA which seemed to be 'too much, too fast' stock-wise. Let's us know not to include stock in the deal like AU did. $22mil in cash, $10mil in stock.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Rutgers goes from Nike to Adidas. Not sure about the money yet.

http://www.scarletknights.com/genrel/021317aaa.html

With the new multi-year all-school deal, adidas will become the official athletic footwear, apparel, and accessory brand of the Scarlet Knights through the 2023-24 athletic season.

“We’re really excited about the future of athletics at Rutgers and we’re honored to welcome the Scarlet Knights into the adidas family,” said Jim Murphy, director of NCAA Sports Marketing at adidas America. “We’re going to bring our most innovative and high-performance products, along with our creativity and collaborative efforts to help Rutgers deliver on their vision for the future of Scarlet Knights sports.”

With the new all-school deal, adidas will outfit all 24 athletic teams, including new strategic uniforms for the football and basketball teams. Additionally, Rutgers will receive adidas’ product & marketing expertise and the two will collaborate on marketing opportunities and the development and enhancement of the licensed retail landscape on campus.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So I talked to someone today. Confirmed that Russell is not even bidding. UA wants GT bad but so does Adidas. Nike running a distant third. If the numbers I saw on what Adidas is paying Rutgers are true, then I expect GT deal to be in the $11-12 million a year range. UA may have to pay more than originally expected.