Votes: 47 30.3%
  • Tobias

Votes: 108 69.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wonder if true, if CPJ knows this or is it all subconsciously done???

I like the TO play book better than the last 1.5 years. This has nothing to do with TQM... I am talking about the Zone QB sweep and midline plays. I have grown to despise the counter and a little bit about the triple. It feels over used.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
@Longestday
I'd wager it is a combination of things. TQM played early, and CPJ may use triple to begin dissecting what the defense is doing. With the midline, he seems to mainly call it later once we have established the dive.

With Oliver in, we definitely seem to make less checks at the line (for better or for worse). That may limit what CPJ wants to do at times.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused as to what some of you have been watching. TO still hasn't been stopped unless we make boneheaded fumbles. Why is this still a discussion? Crazy to me.
I hope Oliver scores on 100% of our drives moving forward, but you do realize he was responsible for one of those boneheaded fumbles right? If the coach thinks playing both qbs is our best path to success I'm going to have to agree with him.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I hope Oliver scores on 100% of our drives moving forward, but you do realize he was responsible for one of those boneheaded fumbles right? If the coach thinks playing both qbs is our best path to success I'm going to have to agree with him.
And how many has Marshall been responsible for this year? TO has scored a TD on about 65% of his possessions, has more rushing yards and TDs than Marshall with less time played and less turnovers. I'm just confused by what some are seeing with Marshall. It's pretty obvious the offense runs better with TO even if the playbook is limited.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
And how many has Marshall been responsible for this year? TO has scored a TD on about 65% of his possessions, has more rushing yards and TDs than Marshall with less time played and less turnovers. I'm just confused by what some are seeing with Marshall. It's pretty obvious the offense runs better with TO even if the playbook is limited.
You know more than the coach, got it (y)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The benefit I see with TQM is that coach seems to believe he can learn more about the way the defense is playing us without losing as much ground by allowing TQM to make more reads / checks / shifts to the offense. Essentially if Coach calls that QB Sweep Option look that has become the TO Special and the defense is stringing us out wide we are sunk, but with TQM he can run the triple and watch the different defensive keys to get a read on what their gameplan looks like. Then he can use that time to show TO what is going on from the sideline and coach him up for the reads / reactions he thinks we will need to make based on what he is seeing from the Defense.

I also think that last point helps with a younger guy like Oliver. He is a warrior and seems to have a tough mental game, but letting him see the defense for a few series can only help him when he gets in the game. It is almost like using TQM as the opener (best case we are rolling and we keep him in, worst case we have probed the defense and figured out the tendency and game plan and are ready to bring in Tobias with more information). It also protects the number of carries either guy takes and increases the likelihood of us finishing strong this year.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am still not convinced that TQM will start on Saturday. He may, but CPJ was sly... "I don't see why not" and then said "lets see how practice goes". I bet Miami prepares for both. The clear answer is "TQM is the starter and will start Saturday and both will play".

I was not sure until I saw him at VT and then at UNC for many of the reasons as stated above. TQM did pretty good in his two full series, but the second full series never came close to happening again in the game. Yes, two 4 and short stops (one could have been a field goal) and one fumble. TO ran many types of plays.

If the play book is opened up with TO, I don't know why you go with TQM at this point... I don't think passing is a good reason?

TQM has not done nothing wrong, I just think that TO has a different skill set and may be healthier.

The only reason to start TQM is to honor him as a senior, for the locker room, and cleaner pitches. The reason to start TO is a more open play book, health (either way), and the last two games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am still not convinced that TQM will start on Saturday. He may, but CPJ was sly... "I don't see why not" and then said "lets see how practice goes". I bet Miami prepares for both. The clear answer is "TQM is the starter and will start Saturday and both will play".

I was not sure until I saw him at VT and then at UNC for many of the reasons as stated above. TQM did pretty good in his two full series, but the second full series never came close to happening again in the game. Yes, two 4 and short stops (one could have been a field goal) and one fumble. TO ran many types of plays.

If the play book is opened up with TO, I don't know why you go with TQM at this point... I don't think passing is a good reason?

TQM has not done nothing wrong, I just think that TO has a different skill set and may be healthier.

The only reason to start TQM is to honor him as a senior, for the locker room, and cleaner pitches. The reason to start TO is a more open play book, health (either way), and the last two games.
TO is probably a better player when we are in 3rd and short or 4th down plays. TM is not as effective in the midline and limits what play is called in those situations. TO seems to get North/south quicker on the edge.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Tobias should start. It may have already been said in this thread, but I do like the teammate TQM has been — he has been TO biggest cheerleader. Probably because he knows he is being beat out by a Freshman (RS). Regardless, to me, that’s the definition of class.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ Show....Well that was surely leaning to TQM starting... unless he is playing cards close to chest. Kelly’s after practice notes were interesting too.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
TO has thrown 12 passes. Two weeks ago, the one pass he threw bounced 5 yards ahead of the receiver. Last week, he dumped off a pass to an outlet receiver ( a smart move and nice toss) and badly underthrew Qua Searcy, who stopped and caught it anyway. Without a larger sample from which to draw conclusions, I worry what happens, if TO needs to pass to keep drives alive. Yes, I known that TM has thrown 4 picks, but he also has to have a somewhat better rapport with the WRs.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They both are at a 50% completion. I love TQM, but I would not use passing as a reason to start... unless I am CPJ and see practice.

I would argue for TQM as he hits the long runs and TO is not likely to move you down the field quick.