Where does College BB go from here

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think someone should just develop an under 21 semi-professional league.

200w.gif

... you raaaaang??

Seriously though, I think that's what Ball is trying (unsuccessfully) to do.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is difficult to be totally optimistic about the report having much impact, but the level of pessimism around here is unwarranted in my view. I believe the NCAA knows it has to do something fundamental or the public view of the organization may be permanently damaged beyond repair. Football has almost exited the NCAA already and basketball could follow if things don't get cleaned up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Where my pessimism kicks in:

What part of high school kids coming into the NBA is in the interest of the players association? If anything, they would prefer to keep those kids out as long as possible. Who wants a teenager coming in and taking your place?

From the NBA's POV, they are paying a bunch of teenagers $millions to sit on the bench and watch guys making half as much play basketball. Why would they want to double down on something they already don't like very much.I suspect they will leave the current system stay unchanged. If an 18 y/o wants to play professionally, they will let him go overseas or to the G League w/o a guarantee. I could even see a rights draft implemented, similar to the NHL.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think this is much of a positive for BBB. If the NBA decides to play ball they are likely to beef up their G League which would negatively impact BBB. BBB hasn't been able to get a single player to sign up for their proposed league.

i think NBA will go ahead and eventually get rid of the one and done rule as Silver has mentioned they may need to do it for the good of basketball in the US. What will be interesting is whether the NBA Players Association can get the NBA to make any other concessions as part of going along.

FWIW, I don't think the colleges will ever pay the SA's money directly, nor do i think they should. I do think SA's will be able to get money from outside sources at some point - the fact that the commission is suggesting they should be allowed to enter into agreements with agents assure that. The issue with colleges is that ultimately they are not there to pay players, and by more laws if they started paying BB or FB players they would also have to pay other SA's.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Where my pessimism kicks in:

What part of high school kids coming into the NBA is in the interest of the players association? If anything, they would prefer to keep those kids out as long as possible. Who wants a teenager coming in and taking your place?

From the NBA's POV, they are paying a bunch of teenagers $millions to sit on the bench and watch guys making half as much play basketball. Why would they want to double down on something they already don't like very much.I suspect they will leave the current system stay unchanged. If an 18 y/o wants to play professionally, they will let him go overseas or to the G League w/o a guarantee. I could even see a rights draft implemented, similar to the NHL.

I believe the NBPA was opposed to the age/one-year-out requirements when they were established. They didn't see fighting for people not in the union worth fighting for greatly. The owners wanted it, and were able to get it included in the contracts. The only reason that I can think of that the owners wanted it was to use the NCAA basketball system as a developmental league for the NBA. Instead of wasting a draft pick on a highly regarded player who played high school and AAU, wait until you get him in competition against the small percentage of high school and AAU players who make it to NCAA teams.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It is difficult to be totally optimistic about the report having much impact, but the level of pessimism around here is unwarranted in my view. I believe the NCAA knows it has to do something fundamental or the public view of the organization may be permanently damaged beyond repair. Football has almost exited the NCAA already and basketball could follow if things don't get cleaned up.

The NCAA knows that the average attention span of millennials (protestors, SJWs, annoying dip****s) is about 18 seconds. Tread water, Poke your head out, stretch, get back to MAKIN THAT MONEY SONNNNNNNN

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Even the Dookies over here in Durham are complaining now that they realize their entire team is gone and they have no idea what will happen next year. They think the one and done model needs to change now that it seems to have come home to roost. I really like to needle them a little about next year. They will be good with talent but tough to win in the ACC with a freshman PG.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I think someone should just develop an under 21 semi-professional league.
Not sure if there's the market for that to be successful at this point. The schools provide the audience for college basketball, and the NBA is the best players in the country/world. Other than that, why would you watch another league unless you had a personal connection to a player or coach or something? There isn't space in the basketball economy for a successful league like that.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
"The director of an amateur Massachusetts basketball team affiliated with Adidas AG agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors investigating an NCAA bribery scandal, according to a copy of the agreement made public Friday.

Thomas "T.J." Gassnola entered the plea on March 30 to federal charges that he made payments to families of high school student-athletes in exchange for their commitment to play for certain universities, according to the filing. The plea and cooperation agreements were sealed by a judge at the request of prosecutors."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...utors-secure-guilty-plea-in-ncaa-bribery-case

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
"The director of an amateur Massachusetts basketball team affiliated with Adidas AG agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors investigating an NCAA bribery scandal, according to a copy of the agreement made public Friday.

Thomas "T.J." Gassnola entered the plea on March 30 to federal charges that he made payments to families of high school student-athletes in exchange for their commitment to play for certain universities, according to the filing. The plea and cooperation agreements were sealed by a judge at the request of prosecutors."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...utors-secure-guilty-plea-in-ncaa-bribery-case

Alumni from his program

One name of interest on his 2017 roster......

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The above post is incorrect. That is the NJ Playaz page. New England Playaz arent quite as well publicized, though Nate Laszewski, a ND signee did play for them last year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Eric Bossi had an interesting thought. He was asked about any kids re-classifying from 2020 to 2019. He said he does not expect any kids to re-classify from 2020 to 2019 until the NBA makes it known if they are going to scrap the one and done by 2020. Doesn't make much sense for a kid to re-classify up a yr if he can go straight from HS. The #1 2020 prospect has already said he will turn pro if the one and done rule is rescinded.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Eric Bossi had an interesting thought. He was asked about any kids re-classifying from 2020 to 2019. He said he does not expect any kids to re-classify from 2020 to 2019 until the NBA makes it known if they are going to scrap the one and done by 2020. Doesn't make much sense for a kid to re-classify up a yr if he can go straight from HS. The #1 2020 prospect has already said he will turn pro if the one and done rule is rescinded.

He also tweeted out that the #1 kid in 2020, Jalen Johnson has already said he intends to jump if the rule is acrapped

slugboy

Staff member
I wonder if that makes CBB more even, since Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, Duke, and others aren't getting the one-and-dones, or if this means that there are about 10-15 fewer players per year and the top recruiting programs take one of their recruits from the next tier of programs and the talent gap remains about the same.