Where does College BB go from here

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting stuff. Just makes me want to see college basketball separated more forcefully from semi-pro basketball. Wish there was a league in the USA where guys like this could go get paid and hone their skills for The League....and leave college to guys who would also like an education.

I know, I'm living in fairy tale.
Isn't Lavar Ball trying to start something like that?(n)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Interesting stuff. Just makes me want to see college basketball separated more forcefully from semi-pro basketball. Wish there was a league in the USA where guys like this could go get paid and hone their skills for The League....and leave college to guys who would also like an education.

This is what I have been saying all along. If the NCAA actually makes and enforces rules that set up athletic competitions between academic institutions many if not most of these issues go away. Many schools in football and basketball have purely professional teams. I have said many times that when an SA class lawsuit
actually gets to court, it won't be hard to demonstrate that the NCAA and many institutions run themselves more like a for-profit business than charitable or even academic institutions. If the NCAA wants to survive, it must reign in the abuses of the "academic" purpose of the organization.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are a number of things the NCAA could do, but I cannot imagine a lawsuit by SAs being beneficial to college basketball. Or, at least, solving the problems with money or one and dones.

What could be done:

1- Require all freshmen in football and basketball to take a redshirt season in their first year.
2- Establish an academic scorecard for every SA that is guaranteed for five years. Or less if the SA graduates. If the SA drops out of school (or the team) for any reason other than graduation or career ending injury, the athletic department cannot reuse that scholarship until the academic scorecard also runs its course.
3- If a SA transfers to another college, his scorecard transfers with him.
4- When a college makes an offer to a potential SA, the SA can sign the offer sheet at any time he wishes. No non-commit-able offers or grayshirts allowed. A college can withdraw the offer at any time before the SA signs it. Once signed, it cannot be withdrawn.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There are a number of things the NCAA could do, but I cannot imagine a lawsuit by SAs being beneficial to college basketball. Or, at least, solving the problems with money or one and dones.

A lawsuit would not be beneficial. I was referring to the lawsuits that have been proposed to unionize or have SAs declared as employees. The way the NCAA and many schools are being run provide a lot of evidence that could be used in such a lawsuit. That is why I said they must change.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

What could be done:

1- Require all freshmen in football and basketball to take a redshirt season in their first year.
2- Establish an academic scorecard for every SA that is guaranteed for five years. Or less if the SA graduates. If the SA drops out of school (or the team) for any reason other than graduation or career ending injury, the athletic department cannot reuse that scholarship until the academic scorecard also runs its course.
3- If a SA transfers to another college, his scorecard transfers with him.
4- When a college makes an offer to a potential SA, the SA can sign the offer sheet at any time he wishes. No non-commit-able offers or grayshirts allowed. A college can withdraw the offer at any time before the SA signs it. Once signed, it cannot be withdrawn.
I like these...when can you take over running the NCAA for us?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
They probably want to ask the administration and AD why in the name of God they left the ACC for the wasteland of the Midwest. Yes, the BTN payout was nice, but that will be drying up as people cut the cord for TV. Those January road games in Nebraska and the scintillating games against Rutgers & Penn State must look really enticing when we're playing UNC, Duke, UVa.....

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
They probably want to ask the administration and AD why in the name of God they left the ACC for the wasteland of the Midwest. Yes, the BTN payout was nice, but that will be drying up as people cut the cord for TV. Those January road games in Nebraska and the scintillating games against Rutgers & Penn State must look really enticing when we're playing UNC, Duke, UVa.....

Did they end up having to pay the full exit fee, or did they weasel out of it?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

More to the point, MD averaged 39K home football attendance their last year in the ACC knowing they were out the door.
They jumped to 46K in 2014 with a loaded Big I schedule to help boost attendance. Since then they have come back to 40K in 2015, 39K in 2016 and 40 K in 2017.

Must be the ACC :rolleyes:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
More to the point, MD averaged 39K home football attendance their last year in the ACC knowing they were out the door.
They jumped to 46K in 2014 with a loaded Big I schedule to help boost attendance. Since then they have come back to 40K in 2015, 39K in 2016 and 40 K in 2017.

Must be the ACC :rolleyes:
The B1G leads the nation in basketball attendance annually and Maryland is #1 or #2 in the B1G. The original post was about basketball.

Then, there is the money difference. I doubt anyone in the administration is crying about the switch. I doubt there is much difference in the team's mind about playing in Piscataway versus Winston-Salem or Clemson.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Trash fans deserve the trashcan that is the Big Ten. Worst fanbase in college basketball imo.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Trash fans deserve the trashcan that is the Big Ten. Worst fanbase in college basketball imo.
What is the basis for this statement? I am not disagreeing with, as my sample with Big Ten is fairly old. They average almost 17,000 attendance as a conference.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What is the basis for this statement? I am not disagreeing with, as my sample with Big Ten is fairly old. They average almost 17,000 attendance as a conference.

A lot of it is personal anecdotes from games against them back when they were in the conference. The last one off the top of my head was in the 2009 ACCT when one of our players got hurt and a couple of their fans were laughing about it and making jokes. My aunt is also a fan and has said on several occasions how embarrassed she is of them at times. I should point out that I'm talking about how obnoxious they are, not in terms of being fairweather or something like that. Also, I don't recall any bad interactions with their football fans so maybe it's just their basketball fans.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of it is personal anecdotes from games against them back when they were in the conference. The last one off the top of my head was in the 2009 ACCT when one of our players got hurt and a couple of their fans were laughing about it and making jokes. My aunt is also a fan and has said on several occasions how embarrassed she is of them at times. I should point out that I'm talking about how obnoxious they are, not in terms of being fairweather or something like that. Also, I don't recall any bad interactions with their football fans so maybe it's just their basketball fans.
The hatred NC State has for Maryland football fans runs long and deep. I never found out why, just know that they hate each other.