Where does College BB go from here

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if that makes CBB more even, since Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, Duke, and others aren't getting the one-and-dones, or if this means that there are about 10-15 fewer players per year and the top recruiting programs take one of their recruits from the next tier of programs and the talent gap remains about the same.

Not really. Instead of getting the top 15 players overall, they will just land the top 15 players going to college

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not really. Instead of getting the top 15 players overall, they will just land the top 15 players going to college

You're basically right, however, one other thought drifts through the dark chasms that are kg's mind .... As talent becomes more even, coaching matters more.

I'm not gonna say them guys are bad coaches. I don't necessarily believe that (Roy being my exception). However, I think we'll see a shat ton more randomness in the tournament whereby seeding will no longer matter. Even less so than it does now.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll see a shat ton more randomness in the tournament whereby seeding will no longer matter. Even less so than it does now.

Interesting. The NCAAT in the pre-OAD era was very top heavy and the mid-majors were non factors. The rise of the mid-major (VCU, Butler, et al) has really been coincident with the OAD era. If OAD goes away, do things revert to the old ways and the mid majors disappear?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO if the one and done goes away then the teams that usually have more talent will still have more talent but will also have more experience. The talent gap won't be as large but the gains in experience would more than offset it imo.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Interesting. The NCAAT in the pre-OAD era was very top heavy and the mid-majors were non factors. The rise of the mid-major (VCU, Butler, et al) has really been coincident with the OAD era. If OAD goes away, do things revert to the old ways and the mid majors disappear?

Interesting indeed ....

Pre-1-and-done era blue-blood teams were probably on the older side, thus they had experience plus high-end talent. That recipe could indeed produce the lopsided results you mentioned. My assessment counts on the mids having that age/experience advantage. If the high majors begin trending towards old+talented I'll be wrong (for the first time ever :D)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Who was the last OAD to play in the Final Four? In the last ten years I wonder if there were more than a handful? But, there are 180 underclassmen who declared for the draft this year. To me, that says something is out of balance in the NCAA as far as basketball is concerned. These really good players are wanting to be paid, but are not winning the championships you might expect.

After asking that first question I looked back. I think it was 2015 when Jahlil Okafor and Justin Winslow won the championship for Duke.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Who was the last OAD to play in the Final Four? In the last ten years I wonder if there were more than a handful? But, there are 180 underclassmen who declared for the draft this year. To me, that says something is out of balance in the NCAA as far as basketball is concerned. These really good players are wanting to be paid, but are not winning the championships you might expect.

After asking that first question I looked back. I think it was 2015 when Jahlil Okafor and Justin Winslow won the championship for Duke.

Tony Bradley last year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Dave Glenn had an analysis that I cannot remember exactly but basically said every team that won an NCAA championship had one or more players drafted in the top 15 (?) (first round?) and multiple players who got time in the NBA. Something like that. The gist was that there hasn't been a team of no talent, great teammates, great system that won the tourney.

Take the OAD out of the system and it will still be that you have to have some level of NBA talent to win it all. Probably won't have to have the higher type draft pick but will still be teams with kids who get time in the NBA.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think that Collins and Bradley being subs for their college teams makes my case that winning is rarely about these OAD players. But, you guys are good at research. I missed them.

Happens to me all the time. It was nice to be on the other end of it for once.

To answer the question according the parameters your referring to it would be the 2015 Final Four.

Duke with Okafor Jones and Winslow

Kentucky was there with KAT, Booker and Lyles as well.

Last edited:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Where does college BB go from here, you ask?

Como se dice, 'business as usual'?

Hmmm, interesting he was able to land all them 5-stars so quickly. I wonder how though.