Where does College BB go from here

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Where does college BB go from here, you ask?

Como se dice, 'business as usual'?

Hmmm, interesting he was able to land all them 5-stars so quickly. I wonder how though.

Deny, deny, deny and everything goes away once the media has a new story to write about. I'm not sure why our athletic programs always seem to punish ourselves when we can just deny anything happened, that seems to work out better for most schools.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Deny, deny, deny and everything goes away once the media has a new story to write about. I'm not sure why our athletic programs always seem to punish ourselves when we can just deny anything happened, that seems to work out better for most schools.

Shiiii, even if you don't deny, deny, deny and are caught .... jus' wait a while ...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not sure who is using who with college BB. Top players only want fast path to the NBA. They don't have much interest in a college education. Coaches only want to win and make big salaries for as long as possible. O and D players don't count the cost of their scholarship as having any value. They only want money. How many of these guys could actually get into a school like Duke or GT without BB. Throw in how much corruption has gotten into AAU ball and the whole thing is a mess. The NBA needs to stop this one year thing. It has helped create chaos. The wholesale transferring between schools must drive coaches nuts as well.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just for completeness less than 5% of all BB players would be able to get into their P5 school on their own. It isn't just one and done guys.

I have become a fan of just getting the O&D guys out of college BB as well. Will cost the college game a lot of high end talent but the PR/perception issues that come along with them isn't worth it and the NCAA has shown no ability to play the PR game worth a damn. But also recognize the NBA isn't really looking forward to eliminating O&D. It means they have to scout HS players a lot more intensely and they will lose the ability to see them play against college level players (big step up even from HS AAU tournaments). And they lose the one year maturation process and maturation validation that happens in college. They will now make more mistakes than they already do.

In part because the NCAA has lost the PR discussion regarding athletes, transferring is about to get a whole lot more problematic. There is an active effort that most/many think will be successful to allow transfers in FB and BB without having to sit a year. That is going to be a real wacky process which will drive coaches at all levels nuts.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just for completeness less than 5% of all BB players would be able to get into their P5 school on their own. It isn't just one and done guys.

I have become a fan of just getting the O&D guys out of college BB as well. Will cost the college game a lot of high end talent but the PR/perception issues that come along with them isn't worth it and the NCAA has shown no ability to play the PR game worth a damn. But also recognize the NBA isn't really looking forward to eliminating O&D. It means they have to scout HS players a lot more intensely and they will lose the ability to see them play against college level players (big step up even from HS AAU tournaments). And they lose the one year maturation process and maturation validation that happens in college. They will now make more mistakes than they already do.

In part because the NCAA has lost the PR discussion regarding athletes, transferring is about to get a whole lot more problematic. There is an active effort that most/many think will be successful to allow transfers in FB and BB without having to sit a year. That is going to be a real wacky process which will drive coaches at all levels nuts.
What is your source for the "less than 5%" part of your post?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am an AAU basketball coach so I see it first hand - though I will be the first to state I don't do high end AAU. Most of my kids are D2/D3 material. But I am in the milieu of recruiting. There are also multiple articles out there that reinforce that point that very few athletes (FB, BB or olympic sports) would make it in on their own. GT FB has one of the highest SAT scores of any public university but also the biggest gap from athlete to normal student. It doesn't take much to make that extrapolation.

I also had 2 of my own kids who played NCAA olympic sports. I know coaches in these sports as well and all of them have a certain number of slots they have for kids who they want in school. Very few of their targets get in on their own. There is a minimum level for athletes but it is way different than normal students.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am an AAU basketball coach so I see it first hand - though I will be the first to state I don't do high end AAU. Most of my kids are D2/D3 material. But I am in the milieu of recruiting. There are also multiple articles out there that reinforce that point that very few athletes (FB, BB or olympic sports) would make it in on their own. GT FB has one of the highest SAT scores of any public university but also the biggest gap from athlete to normal student. It doesn't take much to make that extrapolation.

I also had 2 of my own kids who played NCAA olympic sports. I know coaches in these sports as well and all of them have a certain number of slots they have for kids who they want in school. Very few of their targets get in on their own. There is a minimum level for athletes but it is way different than normal students.
I was surprised by the number, not your larger point. GT may be an outlier, but I bet the number is closer to 50% than 5% at most schools. My nephew was Honor Society at Alexander this year. A 2 year football artery and twice county D POW, he is having trouble getting all the aid he needs at D3 schools. He has plenty of offers. I don't think he's an exception.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are probably right that the olympic sports are higher than 5% and I should amend that. Though I know that the olympic sport athletes I met during my kid's journey were all special admits (not my daughters though :) )

I would be surprised if FB and BB were any higher.