Where do we go from here?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it’s time to take a deep breath? Holy **** it’s one loss...one non-conference loss at that.

If the wheels come off and we miss a bowl game then we can have this discussion. Right now maybe we can try to go win some ACC games and take a run at the division...anyone else think that sounds fun?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you want to fire somebody, it should probably be Bud Peterson. He has hired the AD’s who have left us bankrupt as a football program. He has not delivered any changes that might improve our athletic fortunes, either in curriculum or finances.

I understand the frustration with CPJ and I have my own criticisms and issues with him, but Saban could’t coach GT back to prominence (not that he would ever come here with the absurdly low level of support athletics gets from admin here).

I recall Peterson saying his only obligation to GT Sports is to hire the AD. That’s it.

Congrats on the win, but its Not about the "who" we lost to, but the "how". 10 years in and still lacking fundamentals, still unable to field a remotely competent defense or special teams unit. Its on the head coach. Hot seat time.

Why so many of his defenders continue to ignore the bolded is a mystery. Some fan form of Stockholm Syndrome?

You are spot-on and it's why it's tough to be optimistic about the rest of the season. It wasn't a loss due to bad breaks or player ejections (the nonsense I've read elsewhere) - it was poor tackling fundamentals (as always), poor ball-carrying fundamentals (another huge clutch-time fumble), and non-existent ST (as usual).

After 10 years of this, fans should be forgiven for questioning if this isn't simply the way things are for a CPJ-coached team at GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why so many of his defenders continue to ignore the bolded is a mystery. Some fan form of Stockholm Syndrome?

You are spot-on and it's why it's tough to be optimistic about the rest of the season. It wasn't a loss due to bad breaks or player ejections (the nonsense I've read elsewhere) - it was poor tackling fundamentals (as always), poor ball-carrying fundamentals (another huge clutch-time fumble), and non-existent ST (as usual).

After 10 years of this, fans should be forgiven for questioning if this isn't simply the way things are for a CPJ-coached team at GT.

This reminds me of what I saw a lot in business. Guys who were great is sales and commercial operations, but couldn’t address operations and fulfillment issues.

CPJ is a fantastic offensive coordinator. I wonder if he simply lacks the ability to tie it all together. I agree ... 10 years in, he’s still rebuilding.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Settle down people - we are what we are. The KO team can probably be rectified. The defense probably not. The offense will be ok. Be interesting to see if Oliver gets more chances. Marshall is elusive and made some nice passes but Oliver seems to run the TO better. Also seems like we have not had many breaks for a year - losing players to targeting and injury, big fumbles/bounces i.e. miami - maybe some of those breaks go the other way later this year. It was a bad loss but not a conference game and there were some positives. The oline was outstanding and could get better with the center coming back. We need a W against Pitt, Clemson is probably too much for us and we will see where we go from here. I am afraid though we will need to outscore people to win - what I mean is that the D does not appear to have what it takes to make a stop.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I recall Peterson saying his only obligation to GT Sports is to hire the AD. That’s it.
And *that* my friends is the crux of the problem, right there.

You don't need to worry about everything else, because none of the fundamental issues that cloud our ability to recruit and retain high quality athletes will change, and there is your reason why.

Proud of the way GT does things? Great. Good for you. Enjoy games like yesterday. Enjoy GT's slow slide into being the Tulane of Georgia. A former SEC school with a solid past that no one else can remember anymore (especially not today's college athletes) and so many restrictions and issues now that it is in the bottom 4 of the ACC is every way (recruiting rankings, staffing, money, and unfortunately wins)

Want to win? Got to change things at the top, where they are well and truly being mismanaged.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
You can’t completely judge things off one early season game. Miami might not be bad after losing to LSU, Va Tech might not be that good after beating FSU, we might be alright at the end of the season. Maybe I’m too realistic about GA Tech but I live by the adage that it’s never as good or as bad as it seems. You can look at good years and bad years when we could’ve lost that game yesterday.

I know, it’s more than one game to a lot of people, I get that too...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CPJ is a fantastic offensive coordinator. I wonder if he simply lacks the ability to tie it all together. I agree ... 10 years in, he’s still rebuilding.

This is the most frustrating issue. After years of changing coaches every 5-6 years, we all(or most of us) thought that if we ever got one to stay longer it would allow us to build relationships in recruiting, build depth, etc. and overcome some of the issues associated with changing coaches and systems frequently. It's early, but to my eyes it doesn't appear that the program has moved forward. Yes it's had some great moments but I don't think the overall shape of the program is any better than it was when CPJ got here. In fact, it may be possibly worse depending on the rest of this season. Who knows, maybe if TStan had arrived at the same time we would be having a different perspective. But that didn't happen.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Settle down people - we are what we are. The KO team can probably be rectified. The defense probably not. The offense will be ok. Be interesting to see if Oliver gets more chances. Marshall is elusive and made some nice passes but Oliver seems to run the TO better. Also seems like we have not had many breaks for a year - losing players to targeting and injury, big fumbles/bounces i.e. miami - maybe some of those breaks go the other way later this year. It was a bad loss but not a conference game and there were some positives. The oline was outstanding and could get better with the center coming back. We need a W against Pitt, Clemson is probably too much for us and we will see where we go from here. I am afraid though we will need to outscore people to win - what I mean is that the D does not appear to have what it takes to make a stop.
Amazing. Just amazing. First, Marshall proves he can pass, and it goes unnoticed after all the hoohah, from me included, and the offense gets 600 yards and is deemed "ok". There was some bad tackling, but basically the defense seemed to wear out, and the old blow-a-big-lead fatal flaw reappeared. The other issue is an inability to run pitch options. Our Abacks still get almost no touches in the run game. Those seem to be the issues in my opinion, and the rest of it is hair on fire hysteria.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ is essentially an offensive coach... Well, the offense more than did its job yesterday. 600 yards, 8 ypc, etc. The defense just needs more speed and talent.

Also, CPJ hired a very well respected defensive coordinator. They just need more time to upgrade defensive talent.

I know you guys won't like this, but with the ACC being so difficult the schedule should be something like this every year:

Georgia State
Florida International
Middle Tennessee State
Georgia

FBS level opponents, but games Tech will win 50-3. Especially considering you have to play Georgia, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, etc every season. They need to start off with FIU, UMASS, Troy, Arkansas State, etc first 3 games every year.

USF on the road is a no win situation. You don't get a ton of credit if you win and you wreck yourself if you lose.

Bottom line.... Fix the schedule (and start 3-0 every year), give Woody 2 recruiting classes, and the program will be fine. If it's not, fire CPJ.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You guys, some of you are just bad... You didn't lose to an FCS team you lost to one of the best teams in the AAC which I believe is the best team.

You’ve got a nice program a ton of good, fast players and a really good coach, best of luck to yall for the rest of the season. And I have to think USF is on the short list for Most P5 conf expansion plans.