Where do we go from here?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I’m not arguing against getting a new coach if things don’t turn around. If Johnson can’t win here then he should be fired just like anyone else, but if people are expecting us to start recruiting blue chips all the sudden they they haven’t really followed the history of our program.

I can find NOBODY ever claiming that.

I can find people thinking that Everytime something goes wrong CPJ tries to claim it is the DCs fault.

I can find people thinking he does not know how badly his system restricts our ability to recruit from a bigger pool of qualified S/As - both O & D.

I can find people that truly believe he is a bad representative of our school by his arrogant and smarmy attitude with, not just the press, but even our own supporters. And now he is hiding from having traditional call in shows.

Jeez, you know even the scum bear Bryant (who was a LOT better coach than CPJ) was able to make changes in his program and himself. Because he wanted what was best for his school and program. Not what he thought was best to prop up his ego.

Edit: did not mean to direct this strictly to you WreckinGT, but to all those who have made sarcastic remarks about us suddenly getting 4/5* recruits if CPJ gone.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know you guys won't like this, but with the ACC being so difficult the schedule should be something like this every year:

Georgia State
Florida International
Middle Tennessee State
Georgia

FBS level opponents, but games Tech will win 50-3. Especially considering you have to play Georgia, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, etc every season. They need to start off with FIU, UMASS, Troy, Arkansas State, etc first 3 games every year.

USF on the road is a no win situation. You don't get a ton of credit if you win and you wreck yourself if you lose.

Bottom line.... Fix the schedule (and start 3-0 every year), give Woody 2 recruiting classes, and the program will be fine. If it's not, fire CPJ.

I think you are suggesting not a solution to our issues but a smoke and mirrors type of band-aid. Yes, we can win those games. But what is the point? I am not saying USF is a cupcake but you want to BUILD your program to where that type of game is a more strenuous tuneup for your conference play. You learn nothing about your team, coaches and players by beating up on the teams you mentioned. Let's implement fixes to root cause issues, not put makeup on them. Bobby Bowden didn't build his program by strategically scheduling schools you never heard of...he build it up by taking on the biggest and best and was willing to go on the road todo so.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You can’t completely judge things off one early season game. Miami might not be bad after losing to LSU, Va Tech might not be that good after beating FSU, we might be alright at the end of the season. Maybe I’m too realistic about GA Tech but I live by the adage that it’s never as good or as bad as it seems. You can look at good years and bad years when we could’ve lost that game yesterday.

I know, it’s more than one game to a lot of people, I get that too...

It isn’t being judged off one early season game.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think you are suggesting not a solution to our issues but a smoke and mirrors type of band-aid. Yes, we can win those games. But what is the point? I am not saying USF is a cupcake but you want to BUILD your program to where that type of game is a more strenuous tuneup for your conference play. You learn nothing about your team, coaches and players by beating up on the teams you mentioned. Let's implement fixes to root cause issues, not put makeup on them. Bobby Bowden didn't build his program by strategically scheduling schools you never heard of...he build it up by taking on the biggest and best and was willing to go on the road todo so.

I think what you are suggesting is not a solution unless we were a perennial top 25 team trying to get to the next level. If Bammer came into BDS right now, they would probably make yesterday’s defeat look like a good day. How does that help anything? An easier OOC schedule might be good for a couple of years, especially if we part ways with CPJ. Have you seen UGA’s schedule? I’m surprised they didn’t throw Incarnate Word in there while they were putting their schedule together. Winning on its own would generate some interest in the program and it would give the new defense time to grow. Of course, I think this discussion is meaningless because schedules are created years in advance and the landscape may look much different then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is essentially an offensive coach... Well, the offense more than did its job yesterday. 600 yards, 8 ypc, etc. The defense just needs more speed and talent.

Also, CPJ hired a very well respected defensive coordinator. They just need more time to upgrade defensive talent.

I know you guys won't like this, but with the ACC being so difficult the schedule should be something like this every year:

Georgia State
Florida International
Middle Tennessee State
Georgia

FBS level opponents, but games Tech will win 50-3. Especially considering you have to play Georgia, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, etc every season. They need to start off with FIU, UMASS, Troy, Arkansas State, etc first 3 games every year.

USF on the road is a no win situation. You don't get a ton of credit if you win and you wreck yourself if you lose.

Bottom line.... Fix the schedule (and start 3-0 every year), give Woody 2 recruiting classes, and the program will be fine. If it's not, fire CPJ.

Wrong on scheduling, or if not then drop out of ACC (which if you did not notice is 2nd rate at best). Or drop the sport and become Indy in MBB.

As far as “give more time.” That Time has passed

For craps sake - even the President of the United States is only given 8 years (regardless of O he runs) and he isn’t paid near as much.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yea. Sounds about right. I’m just hoping for an Espn/Espn2 spot. I’ll be out of the country but fortunately Aruba gets those two networks. If it’s ACC Network I’ll be watching on a computer in a janitor break room on the resort.

Why would you do that to yourself. Enjoy your vacation. I can tell you the outcome against Clemson

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Why would you do that to yourself. Enjoy your vacation. I can tell you the outcome against Clemson

I thought that FSU was going to destroy us in 2015 and I even thought about skipping the game even though I had tickets. We won, by the way, and that night became part of GT lore. The moral of this story is to never count us out.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Have you seen UGA’s schedule? I’m surprised they didn’t throw Incarnate Word in there while they were putting their schedule together. Winning on its own would generate some interest in the program and it would give the new defense time to grow. Of course, I think this discussion is meaningless because schedules are created years in advance and the landscape may look much different then.

Per your suggestion, I did look at their schedule.I think most would agree that our division has been better than the SEC East over the last decade or so, but there have been years when UF and UT were heavyweights. And UT, which manged to go winless in conference last year beat us (in a game that looked a lot like yesterday's). Their cross over teams are Auburn and LSU, a team which pounded Miami, which is a team we rarely beat.

OOC games include Austin Peay (equal to Alcorn), MTSU (equal to USF and who has beaten us in recent history), and Umass (equal to BG) plus GT. I would argue that if we cannot beat teams like UT and USF, we would not do much better against their schedule than our own. Uga has done what Clemson and Bama has done, elevated themselves to where they will be favored in almost every game, This makess their schedule look easier by comparison. I would vote for the same approach rather than padding our W/L via "easier" scheduling.

And to save everyone the time, i did look at the data. per one site (Souhern Pigskin) our schedule is ranked 19th most difficult, theirs is 59. But I would argue that this is due primarily to factors outside of theirs (and our) control. The primary one being how good is your division. The variables are who do you choose to schedule OOC and who is your rotating crossover opponent? In these, our schedule and theirs appear to be roughly similar to my eye.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was pretty upset after the loss, I like most of you care deeply about the team and want our school to reign victorious in everything we do. Luckily I had some friends over and 10 minutes after the game we had our friends’ kids, their dog, my dog and everyone else in the back yard enjoying a beautiful summer / fall shoulder season afternoon. That totally reset my attitude and gave me some time for perspective.

I hopped on last night but saw all the negativity so decided to wait till the morning when people have cleared heads and eyes.

I’ll say first of all we saw some good. Tariq looks like the real deal (and before his early IMHO inappropriate ejection) he made his mark on the game. Then losing a Curry on a hot, humid and draining day (back to back KO returns are brutal on your defense both physically and mentally) was just too much for the young defense to handle. We are playing better as a full unit, but those loses seemed to really jack us up.

Throw in the untimely and costly injuries to TQM, JL and KB and the offense still found a way to put up points. Gotta figure out those fumbles though. Man they hurt.

In other positives TQM threw some GREAT balls and Oliver got some minutes and looked capable at the #2 qb.

This team can still be pretty darn good we just have to figure out ST (maybe it’s best to just kick them OOB penalty and all) and not lose guys on the O and D.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Per your suggestion, I did look at their schedule.I think most would agree that our division has been better than the SEC East over the last decade or so, but there have been years when UF and UT were heavyweights. And UT, which manged to go winless in conference last year beat us (in a game that looked a lot like yesterday's). Their cross over teams are Auburn and LSU, a team which pounded Miami, which is a team we rarely beat.

OOC games include Austin Peay (equal to Alcorn), MTSU (equal to USF and who has beaten us in recent history), and Umass (equal to BG) plus GT. I would argue that if we cannot beat teams like UT and USF, we would not do much better against their schedule than our own. Uga has done what Clemson and Bama has done, elevated themselves to where they will be favored in almost every game, This makess their schedule look easier by comparison. I would vote for the same approach rather than padding our W/L via "easier" scheduling.

And to save everyone the time, i did look at the data. per one site (Souhern Pigskin) our schedule is ranked 19th most difficult, theirs is 59. But I would argue that this is due primarily to factors outside of theirs (and our) control. The primary one being how good is your division. The variables are who do you choose to schedule OOC and who is your rotating crossover opponent? In these, our schedule and theirs appear to be roughly similar to my eye.

And let’s be honest WE don’t do for their strength of schedule what THEY do for ours. I thought they made a good S. Carolina team look bad yesterday.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
And let’s be honest WE don’t do for their strength of schedule what THEY do for ours. I thought they made a good S. Carolina team look bad yesterday.
I was surprised at that too.
Looks like Georgia’s “investments” (i.e., how much they’re paying recruits) are bearing fruit.
Someone will beat them. Please dear Lord, have some one or two - or three - beat them

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like Georgia’s “investments” (i.e., how much they’re paying recruits) are bearing fruit.
Someone will beat them. Please dear Lord, have some one or two - or three - beat them

That’s my prayer too . Haha, I try not to go that far but I’m about to head to church in Athens and listen to my preacher boast about the almighty dawgs, smh

Last edited:

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
I love GT and it really has gotten old seeing our athletic programs trend in the wrong direction over the last 3-4 seasons (minus 2016 football and 2016-17 basketball...those really being the only bright spots during this period). I hope for our sakes our student athletes have a more positive attitude about the state of the programs (basketball seems to be trending better than football for what its worth). Regardless of what happens on the field/court you have to be positive about what the future holds...Todd has made me feel this way in ways but not the results on the field/hardwood unfortunately. Its objectively amazing that a school in downtown ATL cant get something going....we are paying the price I think for years of doing not enough on the brand recognition side as it relates to Athletics (probably stating the obvious right?). Hopefully we will reap the benefits of the recent brand investments soon....Alumni at other schools dont allow this to happen as often as it seems to happen at Tech (falling way behind).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
th

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
One other thing, if anyone complaining here doesn't give money to Tech Athletics you should (even $ 100 a year is a help). If personal financial conditions dont allow that is understandable but money in the program regardless of amount helps a lot more than posting online. I have met too many fellow Tech Alums who complain but dont do anything of substance to change things for our school/student athletes....its like many are half in waiting for someone else to actually make things better (not a good approach for anything generally speaking). My comment might ruffle some feathers here but plain and simple Tech Athletics needs Alumni financial support a lot more than our Academic folks do...we need to approach this like other things we do in life instead of trying to make ourselves believe that Tech has all these disadvantages that make it ok. A President who cares about Athletics would help too...pretty clear the current guy doesn't care as much as he should....with the ethics issues on top of recent issues on Athletics I think it might be time to take a look at our overall direction. This was true before yesterdays loss to USF....hopefully we rebound and get back on track.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I thought that FSU was going to destroy us in 2015 and I even thought about skipping the game even though I had tickets. We won, by the way, and that night became part of GT lore. The moral of this story is to never count us out.

And forget the other games that season.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Would love to see names (and amounts if you could) of those paid.

You have reported this to any compliance officer of any school they play, or the NCAA, or the newspaper, right? Right?