When the TO3 died

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Since I think you are being obstructionist on purpose, let me be more precise, the military academies should never ever win an FBS football game in this day and age - EVER. Furthermore, FCS games should be competitive but the academies should lose a large percentage of those as well. They are slower and smaller than every single team they play against.

Not trying to be obstructionist - I think you are downplaying the talent that goes to the service academies and under-estimating the effect of intellect and discipline can have on a football team. Navy and most recently Army's records are proof that these guys aren't as bad as you are painting them to be.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of the student athlete who goes to a service academy, having chosen GT over the Military Academy at West Point myself.

Animal02

Banned
Not trying to be obstructionist - I think you are downplaying the talent that goes to the service academies and under-estimating the effect of intellect and discipline can have on a football team. Navy and most recently Army's records are proof that these guys aren't as bad as you are painting them to be.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of the student athlete who goes to a service academy, having chosen GT over the Military Academy at West Point myself.
I did too.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear ya. I find shotgun spread RPOs very boring and often maddening in short yardage situations.

But if that’s what Tech gets so be it. Even if I don’t like the style I’ll be excited if it generates scoring drives and big plays.
whydontwehaveboth.gif

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yay for Army. They outperformed based on their history. If they played our schedule this year, they would be 7-5 or 8-4. If we played theirs, we would be 11-2. People are acting like Army is Alabama and Monken is Saban.

You conveniently leave out the fact that the Academies are even tougher place to get in, not to mention the very small pool of kids they can recruit in the first place. So with that stated, that their recruiting really is nowhere near the other schools, it's a pretty amazing achievement the last 3 years.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I will say it made us more competitive in ACC play (while we went 1-7 in ACC play in 2015, we were always 4-4 or better the other 10 years) thus proves when teams did not have a chance to prepare for us GT was tough....(Although folks coud argue that GOL and CCG also went 4-4 or better in ACC play)

However the reason why CPJ did not get more media respect or fan respect is besides 2009 ACCCG & 2014 OB games all his teams eams all choked on the national stage (Except 2012 Sun Bowl and 2016 Gator Bowl)..

So it looks like he was able to make us competivie in a weak ACC FB Conf.... His scheme fits more military academies (as he chose not to pass lat Gt ike he did at Hawaii )or a G5 school, not a P5 program... As he could not recuit kid to play in the scheme and the list of kids who transferred is quit long...(Vad Lee, Jeff Greene, could name more)

Facts are Facts...

Ugly Bowl Losses on national stage w/ TO as scheme
Peach Bowl -LSU
OB - Iowa
Indy - Air Force
Sun Bowl - Utah
Music City Bowl - Ole Miss
Quick Lane Bowl - Minn

Other Key Losses :
Kansas 2010
MTSU 2012
BYU 2012
ACCG FSU 2012
BYU 2013
Duke 2014
ACCG FSU 2014
Duke 2015
entire 2015 season (except FSU Game)
Tenn 2017
Miami 2017
Duke 2017
UVA 2017
USF 2018
Pitt 2018
Duke 2018

ugag 2009 was a disastrous loss. One of our better teams against one of their worst.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You conveniently leave out the fact that the Academies are even tougher place to get in, not to mention the very small pool of kids they can recruit in the first place. So with that stated, that their recruiting really is nowhere near the other schools, it's a pretty amazing achievement the last 3 years.

Actually, it is academically harder at GT than the academies that have more varied majors. So i am told by a USNA grad at our church.

What is tougher is getting the number of young people that are willing to commit to the military life after school.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, it is academically harder at GT than the academies that have more varied majors. So i am told by a USNA grad at our church.

What is tougher is getting the number of young people that are willing to commit to the military life after school.

Not sure about Navy but at Army you have to do a STEM core even if you major in say, history.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You guys are sleeping on the 2016 team. That season was pretty similar to 2008, so if 2008 was a great year, so was 2016. Both years we played three teams that finished the season ranked. We went 2-1 in 2008 and 1-2 in 2016, Furthermore, our ACC opponents in 2008 had 59 total wins while in 2016 they had 62. Seems like a pretty similar season with similar S.O.S.

Animal02

Banned
They are tough to get in for an average student. Not so much if you are being recruited for a sport. I was getting telegrams from my state's congressmen asking why I had not applied for an appointment. An appointment was mine for the asking because they wanted me for football. (I am not the army type)

I don’t think the 3O is gone from GT. We’ll see it again in a different more modern form.
Hope you are right. I LOVE the 3O. IIRC Fridgen occasionally ran the wishbone.....not often, but sometimes. So there's nothing wrong with adapting various other types of offense when the need arises; the surprise factor alone would be awesome to witness.