When the TO3 died

Because Army didn't play anyone. I'm sick of seeing people drool over Army's record. They lost to Duke and Oklahoma. They beat Liberty, Hawaii, Buffalo, San Jose State, Miami OH, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, Lafayette, Colgate, Navy, and Houston. If you dont think we go 11-2 with that schedule, then you're crazy.
They lost to Oklahoma in OT. No other team can make that claim.

Animal02

Banned
I will say it made us more competitive in ACC play (while we went 1-7 in ACC play in 2015, we were always 4-4 or better the other 10 years) thus proves when teams did not have a chance to prepare for us GT was tough....(Although folks coud argue that GOL and CCG also went 4-4 or better in ACC play)

However the reason why CPJ did not get more media respect or fan respect is besides 2009 ACCCG & 2014 OB games all his teams eams all choked on the national stage (Except 2012 Sun Bowl and 2016 Gator Bowl)..

So it looks like he was able to make us competivie in a weak ACC FB Conf.... His scheme fits more military academies (as he chose not to pass lat Gt ike he did at Hawaii )or a G5 school, not a P5 program... As he could not recuit kid to play in the scheme and the list of kids who transferred is quit long...(Vad Lee, Jeff Greene, could name more)

Facts are Facts...

Ugly Bowl Losses on national stage w/ TO as scheme
Peach Bowl -LSU
OB - Iowa
Indy - Air Force
Sun Bowl - Utah
Music City Bowl - Ole Miss
Quick Lane Bowl - Minn

Other Key Losses :
Kansas 2010
MTSU 2012
BYU 2012
ACCG FSU 2012
BYU 2013
Duke 2014
ACCG FSU 2014
Duke 2015
entire 2015 season (except FSU Game)
Tenn 2017
Miami 2017
Duke 2017
UVA 2017
USF 2018
Pitt 2018
Duke 2018
Outside if a few select programs.......you could make a similar list for every team.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say it made us more competitive in ACC play (while we went 1-7 in ACC play in 2015, we were always 4-4 or better the other 10 years) thus proves when teams did not have a chance to prepare for us GT was tough....(Although folks coud argue that GOL and CCG also went 4-4 or better in ACC play)

However the reason why CPJ did not get more media respect or fan respect is besides 2009 ACCCG & 2014 OB games all his teams eams all choked on the national stage (Except 2012 Sun Bowl and 2016 Gator Bowl)..

So it looks like he was able to make us competivie in a weak ACC FB Conf.... His scheme fits more military academies (as he chose not to pass lat Gt ike he did at Hawaii )or a G5 school, not a P5 program... As he could not recuit kid to play in the scheme and the list of kids who transferred is quit long...(Vad Lee, Jeff Greene, could name more)

Facts are Facts...

Ugly Bowl Losses on national stage w/ TO as scheme
Peach Bowl -LSU
OB - Iowa
Indy - Air Force
Sun Bowl - Utah
Music City Bowl - Ole Miss
Quick Lane Bowl - Minn

Other Key Losses :
Kansas 2010
MTSU 2012
BYU 2012
ACCG FSU 2012
BYU 2013
Duke 2014
ACCG FSU 2014
Duke 2015
entire 2015 season (except FSU Game)
Tenn 2017
Miami 2017
Duke 2017
UVA 2017
USF 2018
Pitt 2018
Duke 2018
There is some serious cherry-picking here. I'm not sure you know what a 'fact' is vs an 'opinion'. I could make the same list of 'key losses' for any team other than the top 5-10 and it would look similar.

I'm not sure why the TO generated such hate from some fans. Granted, I'm a fan of it, but I can understand not liking it or seeing it as boring, but the vitriol...? Any offense looks terrible when it is outmatched or doesn't perform. Statistically, we were better on offense the last 10 years than ever.

In any case, the TO is in our past now, and we'll get to see how well Tech can succeed running the same scheme as everyone else. As a fan, I'm hopeful we can work some magic.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The Hurry Up / RPO / Shotgun / et. offenses are boring too when they aren't "performing" well too.

How many folks would be bitching about the TO, which is a PLAY in a spread option offense - not the entire offense, if we were winning 10 - 12 games a year regularly? Pretty limited number of folks would unless they were pissed that we still losing 1, 2, 3 or 4 games a year.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
Because Army didn't play anyone. I'm sick of seeing people drool over Army's record. They lost to Duke and Oklahoma. They beat Liberty, Hawaii, Buffalo, San Jose State, Miami OH, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, Lafayette, Colgate, Navy, and Houston. If you dont think we go 11-2 with that schedule, then you're crazy.
All those teams they beat besides the acadamy schools and the fcs schools all had better talent than army. Don't mistake what Army did this year. It was incredible.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
So you are saying we are as good as Army but no better.

Army did play OK. A playoff team. And nearly beat them. Better than what we have done vs playoff caliber teams this year.

It’s all the more impressive considering where Army was prior to Monken. Whether you were aware of that or not.
Yay for Army. They outperformed based on their history. If they played our schedule this year, they would be 7-5 or 8-4. If we played theirs, we would be 11-2. People are acting like Army is Alabama and Monken is Saban.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
With the caliber of football player the military academies are able to recruit, in this day and age, none of them should ever win a division 1 football game - EVER. Comparing schedules has nothing to do with it...

GTFLETCH

Banned
Outside if a few select programs.......you could make a similar list for every team
UCF has grown...Clemson under our forner AD and Dabo have grown...Duke under Cut has even grown...

I am not talking about Bama and Ohio State and ND....No more excuses!! Very few 1-AA teams like MTSU upset FBS programs.... Probably should.make a list of coaches and programs who have lost to 1-AA and see if you like the company that CPJ shares.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear ya. I find shotgun spread RPOs very boring and often maddening in short yardage situations.

But if that’s what Tech gets so be it. Even if I don’t like the style I’ll be excited if it generates scoring drives and big plays.

It's maddening watching a RB and QB line up 7 yds behind the LOS when it's 3rd/4th and short. I remember watching Richt's mutts lose to USC a few years ago. Down inside the 2, they lined up Todd Gurley back at the 8-9 yd line for the short-yardage run. Predictably he got stuffed and the stupid mutts lost since he had to run 8 yards to gain 1!!

It's equally maddening watching a QB squat over center on 3rd and long!

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
With the caliber of football player the military academies are able to recruit, in this day and age, none of them should ever win a division 1 football game - EVER. Comparing schedules has nothing to do with it...

I disagree. Having a group of intelligent, disciplined, team-first, me-2nd players can be an advantage, at least over almost every single FCS school. The military academy recruits aren't exactly bad athletes. Plus, they all really, really, really want to be at West Point, Annapolis, or Colorado Springs.

Whoop de doo, an almost win against a team that probably spent about 10 seconds worrying about that game. They also barely beat Miami OH and Navy who were terrible this year.
Oklahoma has no defense, so they could have prepared all summer for Army, and the results would have probably been the same. As much as I would prefer otherwise, Bama is going to kill the Sooners.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's maddening watching a RB and QB line up 7 yds behind the LOS when it's 3rd/4th and short. I remember watching Richt's mutts lose to USC a few years ago. Down inside the 2, they lined up Todd Gurley back at the 8-9 yd line for the short-yardage run. Predictably he got stuffed and the stupid mutts lost since he had to run 8 yards to gain 1!!

An honest man!
Welcome aboard.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
In 2017/18, our 3O was tilted too heavily to QB keep. I think many of those outside keeps should have been pitches but that is arm chairing split second decisions. In traffic TM just cannot power through it like TO and to me the 3O looked better with a beefier QB if pitches are seldom. Or if our QB baits the DE to get him, then pitch. JT was great at this.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Agree

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if anything in our recent GT football history changes if TM pitches the ball to the A-back in OT against UT? Or were we destined for the 17-18 seasons as a result of our QB situation (i.e. no passing, lots of QB Keepers)?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think the TO died but i think teams that we played against every year got smarter about it.
Alot of players from other schools have talked about how they would spend time in spring and/or fall sessions preparing for it.

i think it helped alot against teams that did not play against it every year and didn't have alot of time to prepare for it.
Johnson was an incredible 15-3 against ACC Atlantic opponents other than Clemson (that includes the ACC Championship Game loss to FSU).

But Johnson's program was just 40-44 overall against teams he played every season, and even if you want to take out Clemson and UGA he was 32-29. Not exactly killing it.
Over the last 5 yrs his program was 5th in the ACC Coastal in division wins ahead of only UVA and Duke. If you go back 6 yrs to when Pitt joined he is tied for 3rd with both Pitt and UNC and behind Miami and VT. Just once after 2009 did his program go better than .500 against teams they played every season (2014) and 5 times during that stretch they finished under .500.

I think alot of people (including me) bought into the idea that Johnson's offense could be a pretty big equalizer. There may have been some truth to that over the first few years, but I don't think that claim holds up well over the course of his whole tenure.

I cheered for his program to win games when he was here, but i think it was likely a time for a change. Program familiarity, rule changes, becoming less dynamic with playcalling, sagging attendance all lead to the idea that we likely needed to make a change. I appreciate Coach Johnson alot for having the change occur in a manner that gives us the best chance for success down the road.